Detroit Lions are just bizarre

Nbanflguy

37 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Instead of debating the semantics of how good Stafford is it'd be nice if someone actually answered some of the four questions asked by OP. I would but I don't know the answers.

Stafford has 28 comeback wins since 2009 (26 or 27 since 2011). They had 8 comeback wins just last year and only one of which (IIRC) they held the lead for a chunk of the game. I would say the lions trail probably more than half of their time on the field. Without looking it up, I don't think they're down double digits that often but they definitely trail more than they lead.

1 minute ago, Shady Slim said:

well generally when you answer a question with a question with that sort of tone you're being a lil flippant

i think that we're missing the point here tbf

On the flip side, generally when a person makes a statement like that they're arguing that it's not a matter of a skill but more luck/easy defense than anything. Especially when it comes to Stafford.

1 hour ago, Nbanflguy said:

Why though? So they consistently play conservative week after week and get down big. Then they turn it on and make a come back. Why not skip the conservative bs and not get down big in the first place?

Again, the games are close.  We're rarely down 'big'.  We aim to play patient, mistake-free football, a strategy made more difficult when you can't run the ball.  We're often throwing conservative, short passes late in the game, hoping to extend drives.  Tough strategy.

1 hour ago, theuntouchable said:

On the flip side, generally when a person makes a statement like that they're arguing that it's not a matter of a skill but more luck/easy defense than anything. Especially when it comes to Stafford.

Was referring to the OPs comment.:. They always find themselves down by double digits before rallying back to win or come up just short. 

Detroit has good coordinators but a poor head coach. Caldwell is conservative and plays not to lose until they are about to do just that. JBC and Austin are good at making adjustments as the game goes on to keep the Lions in it and eventually try to make the comeback. If they just game planned better for the start of the game instead of being vanilla as hell, they might just be a pretty damn good football team.

10 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

first, stafford is better than average. He's not elite but he's definitely better than average.

secondy detroits game plan is very conservative for 3/4ths of the game. They also tend to play better in no huddle as well.

I have to admit, I thought for quite some time that he was below average, but he has actually improved quite a bit over the last few seasons and become a solid franchise QB. He didn't lose a beat when Johnson retired.

7 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

Detroit has good coordinators but a poor head coach. Caldwell is conservative and plays not to lose until they are about to do just that. JBC and Austin are good at making adjustments as the game goes on to keep the Lions in it and eventually try to make the comeback. If they just game planned better for the start of the game instead of being vanilla as hell, they might just be a pretty damn good football team.

I don't understand this (and the part I understand is inaccurate).  JBC calls plays for the offense.  If we want to blame someone for conservative play calling, it's him, not Caldwell.

Now, yes, Caldwell will opt for the safe play (punt/FG) the majority of the time, but will also take a risk when the players insist.

I like Caldwell.  I've only disagreed with his decision-making on a few occasions, and the players love playing for him.  Calling him poor is inaccurate.

8 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

Was referring to the OPs comment.:. They always find themselves down by double digits before rallying back to win or come up just short. 

This keeps being said, but isn't true.  They don't 'always find themselves down by double digits'.  For as many games as the Lions are down significantly, there are a similar amount where it's a one score game heading into the 4th.

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

I have to admit, I thought for quite some time that he was below average, but he has actually improved quite a bit over the last few seasons and become a solid franchise QB. He didn't lose a beat when Johnson retired.

He has really changed his game and his mindset. He's still a bit of a gunslinger but his decision making has improved tremendously. He's also gotten to the point where you can tell that he more in tune with the play calls and looking for adjustments. Picks up on coverages and knows where he needs to go. Stilll has some work to do to move up to the elite tier but he has improved a lot.

Archived