D&D and Other Tabletop RPGs

pwny

I started a 5E adventure once but only played one session. Mines of the Phandelver or something like that. I think it's WOTCs intro adventure or something, we had premade characters.

I really like playing the tank/fighter role when I play but for that adventure I was the wizard. My favorite character ever was in 3.5, I was a fighter and prestiged to gladiator. Was really intrigued by a fighter where charisma mattered. Plus it gave me an excuse to say I did all those crazy choreographed moves you see in movies but realistically would never happen in an actual sword fight. 

2 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I started a 5E adventure once but only played one session. Mines of the Phandelver or something like that. I think it's WOTCs intro adventure or something, we had premade characters.

I really like playing the tank/fighter role when I play but for that adventure I was the wizard. My favorite character ever was in 3.5, I was a fighter and prestiged to gladiator. Was really intrigued by a fighter where charisma mattered. Plus it gave me an excuse to say I did all those crazy choreographed moves you see in movies but realistically would never happen in an actual sword fight. 

I almost always start out Rogue or Rogue with a few levels of Fighter. Never particularly optimal, but fun. Been jonesing to play an archer build as of late, though.

Just now, iPwn said:

If you're looking for someone to run a game without any idea what to do, you might try @HorizontoZenith.

;)

Hey!  I made one mistake.  Maybe two.  And it snowballed for reasons out of my control.  Also, the mistake that I made wasn't really a mistake, and if players had read the rules and understood the mistake I made was based on the rules, they would have understood that I didn't really make a mistake, they just didn't understand that they couldn't know yet why it looked like I made a mistake.  I'm in it for ratings, and the ratings for that game surpassed anything on this network in the past 4 years. 

45 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

I almost always start out Rogue or Rogue with a few levels of Fighter. Never particularly optimal, but fun. Been jonesing to play an archer build as of late, though.

My best attempt at playing a 4E campaign was playing a archery ranger. Thinking back on it though, it just reminds me of how much I disliked 4E. 

45 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

I love my rogue. 10 levels of rogue, 2 ranger. Only picked up the ranger because I have an Oathbow that only works with rangers, so I took the second level to get a fighting style. 

The new 5E Swashbuckler rogue is dope af, and mine is so much cheese because I used Magic Initiate to add on Booming Blade and Greenflame blade.

46 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Hey!  I made one mistake.  Maybe two.  And it snowballed for reasons out of my control.  Also, the mistake that I made wasn't really a mistake, and if players had read the rules and understood the mistake I made was based on the rules, they would have understood that I didn't really make a mistake, they just didn't understand that they couldn't know yet why it looked like I made a mistake.  I'm in it for ratings, and the ratings for that game surpassed anything on this network in the past 4 years. 

I think I had a bit to do with some of the chaos. Don't think I've laughed so hard over an Internet fight/brawl in years though.

44 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I love my rogue. 10 levels of rogue, 2 ranger. Only picked up the ranger because I have an Oathbow that only works with rangers, so I took the second level to get a fighting style. 

The new 5E Swashbuckler rogue is dope af, and mine is so much cheese because I used Magic Initiate to add on Booming Blade and Greenflame blade.

There are a number of Pathfinder builds I'd love to play. Loads of versatility in the variant classes and archetypes and feats on top of that.

From reading my 5E PHB, it looks like they took out a lot of what they used feats to do in 3.5/PF and incorporated that into the basic class build. Feats in 5E look interesting, less role-defining and more character developing oriented. It's interesting. Never really looked into 4E, but 5E looks intriguing.

5 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

There are a number of Pathfinder builds I'd love to play. Loads of versatility in the variant classes and archetypes and feats on top of that.

From reading my 5E PHB, it looks like they took out a lot of what they used feats to do in 3.5/PF and incorporated that into the basic class build. Feats in 5E look interesting, less role-defining and more character developing oriented. It's interesting. Never really looked into 4E, but 5E looks intriguing.

Most everyone I've talked to views 4E as the worst edition. They took the great flexibility of 3.5 and just made it into a required complexity beyond what any reasonable person should expect to learn for a hobby. 

From the buzz I heard, 5E is a simplified version of D&D. Stripped of some of the more complex interactions. I'm in favor of that in general. Sure, you might lose a little variance and freedom to craft your specific builds, but I think you gain a lot (especially in terms of being able to draw in new clientele) by not making system mastery such a beast.

16 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

From the buzz I heard, 5E is a simplified bersion of D&D. Stripped of some of the more complex interactions. I'm in favor of that in general. Sure, you might lose a little variance and freedom to craft your specific builds, but I think you gain a lot (especially in terms of being able to draw in new clientele) by not making system mastery such a beast.

That's definitely what I've heard as well. And our group is constantly seeing new people show up and be able to jump in learning. 

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

That's definitely what I've heard as well. And our group is constantly seeing new people show up and be able to jump in learning. 

That's what I love about 5E. It took me maybe 2 sessions to understand what I was doing. Not sure how hard it is with other editions but the ease of being able to get into it was a great motivator for me/my group of friends to play.

45 minutes ago, Gmen4ev said:

That's what I love about 5E. It took me maybe 2 sessions to understand what I was doing. Not sure how hard it is with other editions but the ease of being able to get into it was a great motivator for me/my group of friends to play.

For Pathfinder, most of the basic rules for encounters and whatnot aren't difficult to catch on to. Roll a d20 and add whatever bonuses. Some of the more specific actions or combat stuff is more nuanced.

The difficulty is really in learning how to put a character together so you can do some of those cool things effectively. Paralysis by analysis because there are a lot of options (if you want there to be). You can always limit what sources are available to help simplify, though.

One rule I've seen brought up a lot that people don't like from previous editions is flanking. It's particularly a pain in the ass if you're doing a specific combat in theater of the mind. 

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

For Pathfinder, most of the basic rules for encounters and whatnot aren't difficult to catch on to. Roll a d20 and add whatever bonuses. Some of the more specific actions or combat stuff is more nuanced.

The difficulty is really in learning how to put a character together so you can do some of those cool things effectively. Paralysis by analysis because there are a lot of options (if you want there to be). You can always limit what sources are available to help simplify, though.

That seems simple enough. I was moreso comparing the ease of getting into it compared to 3e/3.5e. One of my buddies wants to run a pathfinder campaign. I assumed it was much like D&D with some minor differences. 

Archived