Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

If we retain Shurmur, I'd give Keenum $20M per year (which isn't that much for a starting QB anymore). Keep the band together. No guaranteed money past year 2 though.

That’s still a lot of money to invest in a one year wonder. 

Keenum finished the game going 20 of 25 for 227 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions with a passer rating of 120.4. It marked the sixth game this season for Keenum in which he’s authored a passer rating of 100 or higher.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/10-Takeaways-from-Sundays-Win-Over-the-Falcons/f0959553-31d1-4e11-8f44-291069871efe?sf175221930=1

milanb alluded to this within the last few weeks, but we haven't fully discussed the synergism between Keenum and the rest of the team.  Given the nature and dominance of our defense, it helps them to have our offense stay on the field and infrequently turn the ball over.  This keeps them rested and doesn't give the opposing offenses a short field.  This last issue is particularly important, as our defense leads the league in preventing 3rd down conversions.  Further, Keenum's mobility, coupled with our permutations in offensive sets (especially since the WR's are taught every receiving position) must be confusing to opponent's defensive personnel.  in short, he is the right QB for this team at this time.

I go back to what I said about 1 month ago.

If Case continues his strong play, and we get to NFCCG/SB/win ... if the going rate for Case is $20M per, multi-year deal, with some guaranteed money in year 2 (at least), what's the hurt in franchise tagging him for 1 season (assuming Pat is back as OC), as long as his salary fits under the cap, keep everyone we need to, and we maintain future salary flexibility?

$23.6736M for one season

[coupled with drafting a QB in bottom of round 1... <insert Baker Mayfield>]

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That doesn’t mean you back the Brinks truck up to his doorstep. 

$20M per year is the median for starting QBs. That would make Keenum about the 15th-16th highest paid QB (lower after the next round of big contracts).

The only good quarterbacks making less than that are on rookie contracts. 

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

$20M per year is the median for starting QBs. That would make Keenum about the 15th-16th highest paid QB (lower after the next round of big contracts).

The only good quarterbacks making less than that are on rookie contracts. 

Maybe if you’re talking about long term contracts. Outside of Cousins, who’s on the franchise tag, how many QBs with 1-2 year deals are making $20M+ per year?

Looking at contracts for QBs on short term contracts, or looking to be in a QB competition, that average salary is closer to $10M. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Maybe if you’re talking about long term contracts. Outside of Cousins, who’s on the franchise tag, how many QBs with 1-2 year deals are making $20M+ per year?

Looking at contracts for QBs on short term contracts, or looking to be in a QB competition, that average salary is closer to $10M. 

But why only a 1-2 year contract? You could go 3-4 years, with all the guaranteed money in year 1, or a little in year 2. 

12 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm not worried about what the rest of the league pays starting quarterbacks. I'm worried about what this franchise needs to pay quarterbacks in order to keep the rest of the core pieces together. $20 million starts to inch closer than I really want to get to that precipice where you start losing guys. At $15 million I'm comfortable.

Length of the contract doesn’t reall matter. The point is that all of the quarterbacks who have signed $20M+ contracts are players that were signed with the belief that they were long term answers. 

I certainly don’t see Keenum as a long term answer, and I reall doubt any other team does as well. Certainly not after just one good season, especially considering his previous performances. 

Archived