Bill Belichick is the GOAT of our generation but who is 2nd best coach of our generation?

buno67

Bill Belichick is #1, who is 2nd best coach of our generation?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the 2nd best HC behind BB for our generation?

• Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks - 14 seasons as an NFL head coach, Carroll is 133-90-1 (.596) with a Super Bowl title, two Super Bowl appearances and 10 playoff berths
    • John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens - 12-year Ravens leader is 118-74 (.615) with one championship and eight playoff berths.
    • Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints - 13 seasons, Payton is 131-77 (.630) with one championship and eight playoff berths.
    • Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers - 14th season as the Steelers’ head coach, Tomlin is 133-74-1 (.642) with one championship, two Super Bowl appearances and eight postseason berths.
    • Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs/Philadelphia Eagles - The 21-year head coach is 207-128-1 (.618) with a championship, two Super Bowl appearances and 15 playoff entries.
    • Other - you name the coach

2 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

i want to say tomlin as a homer but it's got to be reid imo

not only for what he's done with the chiefs but what he's done with the greater game

I'd pick Peyton over Reid. which isn't easy because he (Reid) was a Packer's coach....The fact Reid was unable to lead Philadelphia to a championship is a big reason....

3 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

What did Philadelphia have that makes you think they should have won a championship?

J

2000-2004 they consistently had a top-5 defense and at least a pretty good QB. But I can't really pin the fact that they didn't win on Reid. Out of those years, 2004 was the only year they were definitively the best team in the NFC, and they just ran into a juggernaut Patriots team. 

Edited by Starless
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Because he's truly nothing special as a coach. He can motivate players well but he's not a great strategist or tactician. 

Then how do you consider Harbs ? He isn’t a strategist or tactician. He was a ST guy not a DC or OC. Always trying to hire a good OC and the a ravens defense is not his. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

I'd pick Peyton over Reid. which isn't easy because he (Reid) was a Packer's coach....The fact Reid was unable to lead Philadelphia to a championship is a big reason....

Why does Payton get the nod? Reid has taken two different teams to the Super Bowl and won once and has had success with more than one QB. I want to see what Payton does with out brees. Also if we are going to hold some of the failures of the eagles to Reid, then it goes with Payton cause he failed with some pretty great teams as well

Edited by buno67
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

How are you a GOAT of a generation?

"best of his era" is probably the better term.

Also Harbaugh all day.

Reid's probably the second best coach now but eh.

Also how tf is Tomlin the second best coach according to votes, damn steelers fans are like rats I swear. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

2000-2004 they consistently had a top-5 defense and at least a pretty good QB. But I can't really pin the fact that they didn't win on Reid. Out of those years, 2004 was the only year they were definitively the best team in the NFC, and they just ran into a juggernaut Patriots team. 

More or less what I would have said. They never assembled the best team in the league and only a couple of times were they the odds on favorite in the NFC.

Just now, SwoleXmad said:

"best of his era" is probably the better term.

Also Harbaugh all day.

Reid's probably the second best coach now but eh.

Also how tf is Tomlin the second best coach according to votes, damn steelers fans are like rats I swear. 

I like the older use of Goat, meaning the goto guy. Then you can do it for a team, a period, a season. Whatever floats the ice cream.

J

16 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I like the older use of Goat, meaning the goto guy. Then you can do it for a team, a period, a season. Whatever floats the ice cream.

J

That would generally be melted ice cream. 

Also the older use of goat is goat, ya know Tom Brady the man everyone says is a great QB but he's just a tin can eating layabout. 

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

What did Philadelphia have that makes you think they should have won a championship?

J

Really?...One of the big draws to Reid going to Philly was the hope he'd finally get the franchise over the top....Year in and year out the team was competitive, but in the end left the city disappointed....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Why does Payton get the nod? Reid has taken two different teams to the Super Bowl and won once and has had success with more than one QB. I want to see what Payton does with out brees. Also if we are going to hold some of the failures of the eagles to Reid, then it goes with Payton cause he failed with some pretty great teams as well

Let's face it, Brees' skills are on the decline....Teddy Bridgewater steps in, and the offense doesn't miss a beat...Who should get the credit?.....

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

That would generally be melted ice cream. 

Also the older use of goat is goat, ya know Tom Brady the man everyone says is a great QB but he's just a tin can eating layabout. 

Half melted ice cream is what makes a float good. The goat can't have any. The GOAT might rate a cup.

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Really?...One of the big draws to Reid going to Philly was the hope he'd finally get the franchise over the top....Year in and year out the team was competitive, but in the end left the city disappointed....

Exactly. They were always in the hunt for the division, but not the team to beat in the Conference. They had exactly one 13 win season, and went to the SB. The bulk are 11-5 or 10-6 teams. Competitive is the perfect word. Some Eagles fans fault him for never taking a second best team to the SB. Fan is short for fanatic. It's understandable, just not reasonable.

J

9 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Let's face it, Brees' skills are on the decline....Teddy Bridgewater steps in, and the offense doesn't miss a beat...Who should get the credit?.....

That’s a 6 game sample size tho