CHANGES TO THE ROONEY RULE

doumeyer

Teams have to interview at least two minority candidates for a head coach job, why two if there is three candidates or four you interview all of them. so that rule in fine. But what is wrong is they want to give a team who hires minority people for head coach or assistant coach, or office staff Goodell,want to give that team a better draft pick, and that makes no sense at all. The owners table that idea for now. I am still ticked off when Tampa Bay fired Tony Dungy when he had that team peaking, and they hired Jon Gruden, and he won the Super Bowl, with Dungy's  team. I there bias in hiring by NFL owners, I have no idea, I just hope not.

• Like 1

Gruden's team went to Super Bowl, too.  Pointless, really.

NFL expands the minimum because last few years teams had treated it like a touch up bs.  So thinking a NFL team that actually select 3 or 4 minority coaches as finalists for HC is as good as being high by recreational drugs.   I am fine with new Rooney rule but NFL can still play around for more BS since they tabled bonus compensation.

Steve Wilks mismanaged the Cardinals and got canned for that.  Freddie Kitchen mishandled the Browns and got canned for that.  No difference. really.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Gruden's team went to Super Bowl, too.  Pointless, really.

NFL expands the minimum because last few years teams had treated it like a touch up bs.  So thinking a NFL team that actually select 3 or 4 minority coaches as finalists for HC is as good as being high by recreational drugs.   I am fine with new Rooney rule but NFL can still play around for more BS since they tabled bonus compensation.

Steve Wilks mismanaged the Cardinals and got canned for that.  Freddie Kitchen mishandled the Browns and got canned for that.  No difference. really.

You missed what I was saying, I was talking about a team getting a higher draft pick if the sign a minority coach

Edited by doumeyer

54 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

You missed what I was saying, I was talking about a team getting a higher draft pick if the sign a minority coach

Not accurate.   No award compensatory for hiring minority coach.  All of those compensations are only for retaining hired colored coaches after one season (2nd season for GM situation)  Only team that loses minority coach would receive immediate draft compensatory pick.

It is kind of a bonus promotion for keeping minority people in premium coaching position longer.  It is tabled for now because of CBA ruling on limited number of draft selections.  Next CBA will be interesting if all care.

Edited by JetsandI

I hate that we're at this point, but I'm glad it's being discussed. If things go wrong, fans/media will hang this over the coach's head and I don't like it. We shouldn't have to basically pay teams to give us an opportunity. I'm glad that owners are having this talk, I just think there has to be a better way.