🏀 theJ's Magic Association Rebuild (NBA 2k13)

theJ

I don't know how the cap works in this game ($15m for McGuire or whatever seems low) but I probably wouldn't have paid Elliot. How many years are left on Burke. and McGuire, do all 3 of these guys become FAs the same year? That would be ideal, but I wouldn't want that 10m on the books for Elliot if I needed to re-sign those 2

I got through some of this during lunch today.  Easily the best season i've had.  I kept everyone's minutes down, and the result is that everyone is still "Fresh" at the end of the season.

I'm likely going to strip some of the minutes from the role players come playoffs and give them to Burke/McGuire.

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

I got through some of this during lunch today.  Easily the best season i've had.  I kept everyone's minutes down, and the result is that everyone is still "Fresh" at the end of the season.

I'm likely going to strip some of the minutes from the role players come playoffs and give them to Burke/McGuire.

I usually do this. 32-34 for my top 2 in the reg season, and then move them to 36-38 for playoffs

I might recommend changing the format you have for the playoffs scores... it can be a little difficult to read with them side by side like they are now. If you are just doing scores, I don't see anything wrong with doing like one chart with the names at the top, then the game number on the left side, and bold or fill in the winning score. 

Like this but in chart format

Magic  /   Pistons

Game 1     86     /      80

Game 2     82   /       91

Just a suggestion. 

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I usually do this. 32-34 for my top 2 in the reg season, and then move them to 36-38 for playoffs

I might recommend changing the format you have for the playoffs scores... it can be a little difficult to read with them side by side like they are now. If you are just doing scores, I don't see anything wrong with doing like one chart with the names at the top, then the game number on the left side, and bold or fill in the winning score. 

Like this but in chart format

Magic  /   Pistons

Game 1     86     /      80

Game 2     82   /       91

Just a suggestion. 

Will do

15 minutes ago, theJ said:

What i've noticed is that if i do that, they're dog tired at the end of the season and aren't putting up very good efficiency numbers.  In previous seasons i've scheduled them for 35/36 min and both A) they don't play those minutes and B) they put up worse numbers.

It's weird.

Sounds like the game needs to get it's efficiency stuff worked out.  It you're a top 20 player in the league, barring injury you are playing those kind of minutes.  Maybe not quite 40+ (except in the playoffs) but looking at a few top guys they are all 35-36-37-38 MPG

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

Sounds like the game needs to get it's efficiency stuff worked out.  It you're a top 20 player in the league, barring injury you are playing those kind of minutes.  Maybe not quite 40+ (except in the playoffs) but looking at a few top guys they are all 35-36-37-38 MPG

The AI definitely does play the top guys 34-38 min/game.  I just stopped doing that because it didn't seem to translate to the best possible record.

19 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Keep in mind this is NBA 2k13, this is different in the newer versions

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Keep in mind this is NBA 2k13, this is different in the newer versions

Yeah there's a lot of things in this game don't exactly mirror reality.  If i try to increase the % of 3's to a realistic level for my good shooters, the whole offense falls apart.  Mid-range shots are one of the most effective shots in the game for a good shooter.  Running and gunning just seems to lead to losses.

This is all sim stuff.  But it's a little backward.

If you actually play the games then it's different.  In that case it more closely mirrors reality.

@MKnight82 - updated top 25 list.  When i did the first one, the 25th player was 87 OVR.  Now it's a 90.  Maybe i should be editing the draft classes to be worse?

2017-18 Season Top 25 Players
Rank Name Position Team OVR
1 Lebron James SF Heat 96
2 Anthony Davis C Hornets 96
3 Marty McGuire PG Magic 96
4 Kevin Durant SF Thunder 96
5 Ricky Rubio PG Timberwolves 96
6 Dwight Howard C Hawks 95
7 Demarcus Cousins C Kings 95
8 Dale Burke SF Magic 95
9 John Wall PG Wizards 95
10 Kyrie Irving PG Mavericks 94
11 Russel Westbrook PG Pacers 94
12 Dwayne Coleman PF Pistons 94
13 Bradley Beal SG Thunder 94
14 Derrick Rose PG Bulls 93
15 Dion Waiters SG Cavaliers 93
16 Elden Samuel PF Hornets 93
17 Derrick Favors PF Jazz 93
18 Stacey Cheaney PG Rockets 93
19 Derrick Williams PF Timberwolves 93
20 Chris Paul PG Wizards 93
21 Damon Lillard PG Spurs 92
22 Brandon Jennings PG Mavericks 92
23 Leroy Booker PG Pistons 91
24 Kemba Walker PG Bobcats 90
25 Blake Griffin PF Raptors 90
26 Enes Kanter C Rockets 90
27 Tyreek Evans SG Suns 90
28 Thomas Robinson PF Kings 90
29 Dale Person PG Knicks 90
30 Harrison Barnes SF Spurs 90

Same squad as last year to open the 2018-19 season.  But with everyone getting a little better, this is a better squad.

2018-19 Opening Roster Ratings
Spot Position Name Age OVR Potential Yearly Salary Years Left IN OUT PER D PST D HNDL REB IQ ATH
1 PG Marty McGuire 25 96 B+ 15 4 B A+ A+ C- A+ C- A A
2 SG Tracy King 25 84 B 5.08 1 (Res) B- B+ A C B- D+ B A+
3 SF Dale Burke 26 95 A+ 15.62 4 A- A+ A+ B- B- B- A- A
4 PF Chad Elliott 25 82 C+ 9.81 3+1P C+ D- C- B+ C- A B+ B
5 C Myers Leonard 26 79 A 8.05 2 B- D C A D A- B- A-
6 PG Eric Bledsoe 28 80 B- 9.31 1 B- B A D+ A- D B A
7 SG Vin Hill 22 78 B 2.56 1+2T C+ B+ A C+ C+ D B- A-
8 SF Markieff Morris 29 71 - 3.09 1+1P B B D+ B- F B B- C
9 C Leonard Gray 26 68 B- 3.06 2 B- F D- C+ D B+ C+ C
10 PF Scot Sheridan 23 67 B+ 1.74 1+1T (Res) B- F D C D+ B C- C+
11 PG Peter Boyd 22 61 C 1.93 1+1T C- D+ C+ F B F C- B-
12 PF Robin Cartwright 26 66 B 2.41 2 C+ D- D+ C C- B- C C+
RES                              
RES                              
RES                              

As a reminder, i traded for the 1st round picks of the Nuggets, Pacers and Bulls in previous seasons.  I don't really want 4 1st round picks, and i'm thinking the Bulls and Nuggets might be better than originally thought.  So, i'm making a trade for the Warriors 1st rounder.  I'm projecting them to be somewhere in the top 10 picks.

Magic 2019 1st round 2019 1st (Nuggets) 2019 1st (Bulls)
Warriors 2019 1st round    

Last update from my lunch foray.  

• 44-8 at the break, best team in the NBA!
  • Pacers are 14-39, worst team in the league
  • Warriors are 21-34 but falling (~10 pick atm)
  • Unfortunately Marty McGuire tore his hamstring at the beginning of Feb and will miss 6-8 weeks (back late March)
  • Dale Burke made the All-Star team again (4th time)
  • Tracy King and Eric Bledsoe want to test FA

All-Star Break Rankings
Record 44-8
Overall 7th
Power Ranking 1st
Conference Rank 1st
Team Chemistry 98%
Streak Won 1

The Overall ranking refers to the Team OVR rating, nothing to do with W/L record.  I have the best record in the league.

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

@MKnight82 - updated top 25 list.  When i did the first one, the 25th player was 87 OVR.  Now it's a 90.  Maybe i should be editing the draft classes to be worse?

2017-18 Season Top 25 Players
Rank Name Position Team OVR
1 Lebron James SF Heat 96
2 Anthony Davis C Hornets 96
3 Marty McGuire PG Magic 96
4 Kevin Durant SF Thunder 96
5 Ricky Rubio PG Timberwolves 96
6 Dwight Howard C Hawks 95
7 Demarcus Cousins C Kings 95
8 Dale Burke SF Magic 95
9 John Wall PG Wizards 95
10 Kyrie Irving PG Mavericks 94
11 Russel Westbrook PG Pacers 94
12 Dwayne Coleman PF Pistons 94
13 Bradley Beal SG Thunder 94
14 Derrick Rose PG Bulls 93
15 Dion Waiters SG Cavaliers 93
16 Elden Samuel PF Hornets 93
17 Derrick Favors PF Jazz 93
18 Stacey Cheaney PG Rockets 93
19 Derrick Williams PF Timberwolves 93
20 Chris Paul PG Wizards 93
21 Damon Lillard PG Spurs 92
22 Brandon Jennings PG Mavericks 92
23 Leroy Booker PG Pistons 91
24 Kemba Walker PG Bobcats 90
25 Blake Griffin PF Raptors 90
26 Enes Kanter C Rockets 90
27 Tyreek Evans SG Suns 90
28 Thomas Robinson PF Kings 90
29 Dale Person PG Knicks 90
30 Harrison Barnes SF Spurs 90

I wouldn't lower the draft class talent.  

I don't think you are far enough along yet to see the real impact.  You still only have 7 cpu generated players in the top 30 in the league, and the top 2 is guys you've been pumping offseason workouts into (which I don't think the cpu does).  As the league ages you're going to see a big shift.  

46 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I wouldn't lower the draft class talent.  

I don't think you are far enough along yet to see the real impact.  You still only have 7 cpu generated players in the top 30 in the league, and the top 2 is guys you've been pumping offseason workouts into (which I don't think the cpu does).  As the league ages you're going to see a big shift.  

Yeah i'm not touching for it now.  If the talent does go down, it might be nice.  There are several teams with 3+ 90 OVR players (when taking into considering boosts from morale/chemistry).  It's a bit much.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah i'm not touching for it now.  If the talent does go down, it might be nice.  There are several teams with 3+ 90 OVR players (when taking into considering boosts from morale/chemistry).  It's a bit much.

Might be nice to see the age of the players on the top 25 as well if not too much trouble. I do it in mine but I mess that up the most