🏀 theJ's Magic Association Rebuild (NBA 2k13)

theJ

Shout out to @MKnight82, who inspired me with his franchise threads to create one of my own.

I’m creating an association/franchise mode in NBA 2k13 with the Orlando Magic.  I picked the Magic because A) they’re one of the worst teams in the game and B) they have no long term pieces that I feel badly about letting go (unlike the Mavs, and Dirk, for example).  I did a test run with the Bobcats over the last week, and while they’re worse than the Magic, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has a lot of potential since he’s a rookie.  He’s pretty terrible IRL, so I don’t really care to turn him into a HOF.

I’m going to be creating a few ground rules, to increase the difficulty on myself.  I discovered during my test run with the Bobcats that it was entirely too easy to load up on lottery picks and subsequently fill a roster with top end talent.  I won the championship in my 3rd year.

Ground rules:

• I’m going to avoid picking up any star players in FA (~85+ OVR).  I’ll restrict myself to lower level players, or aging players that can fill a temporary gap.
  • I won’t be loading up on lottery picks to draft a super-squad.
  • Trades will follow the “Golden Rule” – don’t do unto other franchises that I wouldn’t do to myself.  In other words, I won’t be trading a 72 OVR SG with C+ potential for a lottery pick.
  • Trading in general I’m going to try to restrict – my plan is to build a perennial contender around a core group of drafted players.
  • IRL it seems that 2 “Star” players is basically the limit unless players are taking a pay cut.  If I find myself with more than 2 “Star” (90+ OVR) players on my roster, I’ll let contracts expire to keep it realistic.

I may consider restricting the number of scouts I employ later on.  It’s very easy to get accurate scouting reports on everyone who is worth anything if you have three A-A scouts.  I’m hoping that restricting my draft picks will keep this from being necessary.

And...away we go.

One thing I’m doing right away: hiring 3 good A rating-A potential scouts.  Not making any other coach changes right now. 

Year 2 or 3 I'll look to change some coach’s settings to make the team better.  For now, I kind of want to lose for that draft pick.

Most of the players on the roster aren’t worth much long term (too old).  I will look to move Aaron Afflalo though for some draft picks.  He’s got good potential, but he’s getting up there in years. I think a trade for a 1st round pick next year is realistic.  I’m going to target a few of the lesser teams in the league.

2013 Opening roster

Position Name Age OVR Potential Yearly Salary Years Left
PG Jameer Nelson 30 75 - 7.89 3
SG Aaron Afflalo 26 79 A- 7.56 3+1
SF Hedo Turkoglu 33 73 - 11.4 1+1
PF Glen Davis 26 72 B- 6.4 3
PF/C Al Harrington 32 71 - 6.69 3
PG Ish Smith 23 70 B- 1.35 1
SG JJ Reddick 28 70 C- 6 1
PF Andrew Nicholson 22 70 D 1.42 2+2
SF Quentin Richardson 32 69   2.63 1+1
PG Chris Duhon 29 69   3.68 2
SF Moe Harkless 19 66 C+ 1.73 2+2
PF Gustavo Ayon 27 64 C 1.5 1+1
C Nikola Vucevic 21 60 D- 1.77 1+2
PF Justin Harper 22 53 B- 0.76 1

Definitely some bad contracts here.

Simmed for about two weeks to get a better idea of who to try to trade with.

Two Trades

Magic Trade: Arron Afflalo, Maurice Harkless
Suns Trade: 2014 1st round pick, Wesley Johnson (he's not good)

Magic Trade: Andrew Nicholson
Hornets Trade: 2013 2nd round pick, 2014 2nd round pick

That'll it for 2013.  There's really no one else worth trading on this roster.

Update at the All-Star break:

15-39 record (we bad)

Worst in the league by 1 game.  Had a 5 of 7 game winning effort just before the break.

There are no players eligible for a contract extension, so i'm passing that deadline. 

Current rookie class looks like this at the top 5 (omitted one guy because he's awful and will likely fall out of the top 5).  My current target would be 6'9" SF Dale Burke, if i'm lucky in the lottery.  Mainly because he's younger and has beastly height for that position.  Would definitely settle for Cheaney though.  3rd choice atm is Steele.  I could improve his potential using any reward points i earn, and since he's only 19 i'd have time to do it.

Position Name Projection Age Rating Potential Height
SG Isaac Steele Top 5 19 A- B 6'4"
PG Mo Gatson Top 5 21 A- B 6'1"
SF Dale Burke Top 5 20 B+ A+ 6'9"
PG Stacey Cheaney Top 5 22 B+ A+ 5'11"

It's kind of a bad draft otherwise.  I have a feeling my 2nd pick i acquired won't result in much.

End of regular season update (can still scout during the playoffs)

MVP Lebron James Heat
ROY Damian Lillard Trail Blazers
6th Man Marcus Thornton Kings
DPOY Dwight Howard Lakers
Most Improved Goran Dragic Suns
COY Erik Spoelstra Heat

Team Record 19-63
Div Finish Last
Conf Finish Last
NBA Finish 30th

Position Name PPG RPG APG SPG BPG
PG Jameer Nelson 13.8 3.3 4.6 1.5 0.7
SF Hedo Turkoglu 12 5.5 5.6 1.8 0.3
PF Glen Davis 14.2 7.1 0.3 0.2 0.5
PF/C Al Harrington 17.9 8.1 0.5 1.1 0.7
SG JJ Reddick 13.9 3.9 3.1 0.3 0

Welp, on the bright side, 19 wins gives me a chance for real improvement next year.  I don't think i'll get a single reward point for this craptacular season.

I'll also have the best shot for the #1 pick.

32 minutes ago, theJ said:

Just noticed that the dark blue font makes it hard to read when in regular mode.  Looks nice in dark mode.  I'll switch that up for future posts for a lighter blue.

Just change the font to white in the blue cells.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It’s nuts seeing Vucevic rated so low, hes an all star now,  reddick netted the magic Tobias Harris irl so you should dangle him and see what you can get for him.

Thanks. I'll see if I can get anything when I hit the off-season. I sort of doubt I'll get offered much though. Even the computer might not go for anything here lol. He's not very good, and already 28.

29 minutes ago, theJ said:

Thanks. I'll see if I can get anything when I hit the off-season. I sort of doubt I'll get offered much though. Even the computer might not go for anything here lol. He's not very good, and already 28.

If you can’t get a pick for Reddick look for a guy who was just taken in the first and still has 3-4 years left on his rookie deal (which is what Tobias Harris was).  You can play the guy for a year or two then probably flip him for a 1st once he’s progressed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Oof, that is a bad roster.

Dale Burke is the obvious choice unless Isaac Steele has an A+ 3 pt shooting rating along with elite athleticism.  Dale Burke sounds very in the vein of Larry Bird name wise.

Once i finalize the scouting, i'll post the more detailed attributes for the key guys, and maybe a few second round targets.

I did notice that Steele's Potential went up to an B+ after i scouted him for the 3rd time.  Makes him a little more attractive if I miss on Burke.