🏀 theJ's Magic Association Rebuild (NBA 2k13)

theJ

I've done a bunch of these, and this is typically what I look for when I'm scouting/drafting:

- I usually build around a SF or PF.  They just do so much on the court so having a very good one is a huge boost.  

- You can probably find Centers later in the draft easier than anything else.  This is because the game doesn't produce enough decent athletes.  So what do you want with the 26th pick, a Guard with 55 speed or a 7'1" Center that at least can rebound and play defense? 

- You're SG really needs to be able to shoot 3s.  More than any other position.  Putting a SG out there that can't shoot 3s cramps your entire offense.  

- I've found that having a PG that can play good defense is very helpful in simulation.  There are just a ton of really good PGs in the league, gotta slow them down.  

- In 2012-2013 (the game you're playing) the league wasn't as small ball and 3 point obsessive.  You can probably get away with a twin towers approach (two bigs that can't shoot).  In fact you're probably going to have trouble finding a PF that can shoot.  

- Early on when you're rebuilding target good athletes with length, speed and acc.  They'll figure out how to shoot/rebound etc eventually.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I've done a bunch of these, and this is typically what I look for when I'm scouting/drafting:

- I usually build around a SF or PF.  They just do so much on the court so having a very good one is a huge boost.  

- You can probably find Centers later in the draft easier than anything else.  This is because the game doesn't produce enough decent athletes.  So what do you want with the 26th pick, a Guard with 55 speed or a 7'1" Center that at least can rebound and play defense? 

- You're SG really needs to be able to shoot 3s.  More than any other position.  Putting a SG out there that can't shoot 3s cramps your entire offense.  

- I've found that having a PG that can play good defense is very helpful in simulation.  There are just a ton of really good PGs in the league, gotta slow them down.  

- In 2012-2013 (the game you're playing) the league wasn't as small ball and 3 point obsessive.  You can probably get away with a twin towers approach (two bigs that can't shoot).  In fact you're probably going to have trouble finding a PF that can shoot.  

- Early on when you're rebuilding target good athletes with length, speed and acc.  They'll figure out how to shoot/rebound etc eventually.  

Good stuff.  Yeah i've actually played this game quite a bit in the last 6 months, primarily in the MyCareer mode.  I have noticed that the SG/SF tends to have a bigger impact on the game.  You can get away with PG's who can at least pass and play D, and PF/C that rebound and play D. 

I mentioned in the opening post that i won a championship with the Bobcats in my third year.  I had an 83 OVR PG, two 88 OVR SG's, and an 84 OVR SF.  PF and C were 78 and 69 OVR, but could play D and rebound.

So my goal here would be to build around a scoring G/F that can score from anywhere, and get some bigs that can rebound and play D.

I should be able to play this tonight at some point, and get through the draft process.  Fingers crossed for Burke.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Do you know anything more about Burke?  Like what is his weight?  Can he rebound?  Play interior defense?  Just wondering if he's more of a SF/PF or SF/SG.  

I believe he was either listed as SF/SG, or SF only.  He didn't have big man skills.  Past that, i didn't write down his grades for outside/inside scoring, defense, ball handling, etc.  I didn't record weights, because after playing this game for a while, it doesn't seem to affect anything.  I could be wrong though.

Looking back, i should have just posted the whole scouting profile.  Would have only taken another 3 min to do, and been more interesting to read.  

I'll do that tonight for my key targets to provide a little more intrigue.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I believe he was either listed as SF/SG, or SF only.  He didn't have big man skills.  Past that, i didn't write down his grades for outside/inside scoring, defense, ball handling, etc.  I didn't record weights, because after playing this game for a while, it doesn't seem to affect anything.  I could be wrong though.

Looking back, i should have just posted the whole scouting profile.  Would have only taken another 3 min to do, and been more interesting to read.  

I'll do that tonight for my key targets to provide a little more intrigue.

Sounds like a Paul George type.  Hopefully he can shoot.  

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not sure he will get the SF unless he lands #1 overall

I think i've got a good shot, even with the #2 or 3 pick.  I noticed that the AI does sometimes tend to make decisions based on position or initial OVR rating over POT.  Or sometimes they just make bad picks.

One time i landed the second best OVR player, and best POT player in the draft with the #8 pick.🤷‍♂️

Now that i've said that, i'll land the #2 pick and miss out 😂

21 minutes ago, theJ said:

I think i've got a good shot, even with the #2 or 3 pick.  I noticed that the AI does sometimes tend to make decisions based on position or initial OVR rating over POT.  Or sometimes they just make bad picks.

One time i landed the second best OVR player, and best POT player in the draft with the #8 pick.🤷‍♂️

Now that i've said that, i'll land the #2 pick and miss out 😂

Can't speak for 2k13, but the newer games they will usually target the potential 

• Like 1

Burke is all potential.  I'll post the draft board in a minute.  First need to catch up on some other stuff.

2013 Off-season Player Progression
Position Name New OVR Improvement Prv OVR
SG Wesley Johnson 73 3 70
PF Glen Davis 72 0 72
PG Jameer Nelson 73 -2 75
PG Ishmael Smith 71 1 70
SF Hedo Turkoglu 70 -3 73
SG JJ Reddick 70 0 70
PF Al Harrington 68 -3 71
PG Chris Duhon 66 -3 69
C Nikola Vucevic 63 3 60
PF Gustavo Ayon 64 0 64
SF Quentin Richardson 67 -2 69
PF Justin Harper 57 4 53

Coaching Moves

• Fire coach Jacque Vaughn
  • Hire HC Dillon Kerr (B Off, C Def, B Teacher, A Pot) - 4 years, 3.8 M
  • Leave rest of staff alone

Player Moves

• Hedo Turkoglu took his 1 year player option for 12.2 M
  • Quentin Richardson declined his player option for 2.81 M
  • Took options on Wesley Johnson (5.42M) and Vucevic (1.89M)
  • No Qualifying offers
  • Redick hit FA
  • So did Ishmael Smith

Post Season Scouting Update (Only Top Targets Listed)
Position Name Projection Age Height WGT OVR POT IN OUT PER D PST D HNDL REB IQ ATH
SG Isaac Steele Top 5 19 6'4" 220 A- B C B C+ D C+ F+ C+ B+
PG Mo Gatson Top 5 21 6'1" 184 A- B+ C+ B+ B+ F A F+ C A
SF Dale Burke Top 5 20 6'9" 210 B A+ C+ C+ C+ D+ D+ C- C- B+
PG Stacey Cheaney Top 5 22 5'11" 196 A- A+ C+ B A- D- A- F C- A
PG Roderick Augmon Mid/Late 1st 22 6'2" 217 C- B- D+ C- B- F- B F- D+ B
SF Terrell Collier Mid/Late 1st 21 6'8" 234 D+ B- D+ D+ D F+ D- D D+ B-
SF Barry Payne Mid/Late 1st 21 208 208 D+ B- D+ D- D+ F+ D- D- C- B-
SF Martin Cooper Mid/Late 1st 20 6'11" 204 D+ B- C- C- D F F+ D D B-
PF Geoffrey Verne Mid/Late 1st 21 6'8" 228 D+ B- C F F+ D+ F+ B- D C
PF Cedric Tucker MId/Late 1st 21 6'9" 238 D B- C- F- F D- F+ B- C- D+
PF Robin Cartwright 2nd Round 20 7'0" 236 D- B- C- F F+ D- F+ C D C-

So Burke really doesn't have a ton of skills.  In terms of skills alone, he's a lottery pick, not top 5.  But his potential remains unmatched among the crowd.  Over time he'll likely develop into a well rounded scoring threat from inside and out, a good rebounder, and be a good defender on the outside (adequate on the inside).  He's by far the best athlete among the SF batch.

I'm probably still going Burke.  It's going to be a while before i'm competitive anyway, so i can be patient.  He should reach Cheaney's level by age 22.