NFL Investigating Washington Over Possible Rooney Rule Violation

MKnight82

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The issue is if they didn't even interview a minority for the position at all. It seems to me Snyder just gave it to Bateman w/o interviewing anyone else and he didn't interview a person of color and that's in direct violation of the Rooney Rule. The idea of the Rooney Rule is to just interview minorities, not that they have to definitely get the job. I mean w/o the Rooney Rule guys like Mike Tomlin may have never been found or would have never risen to the point where he’d be HC.

The part about interviewing someone is correct.  They also have to prove that they didn't have their minds made up on Bateman and didn't interview someone just to fulfill the qualification.  That was the whole big blowup with the Raiders and Jon Gruden a few years ago that sort-of led to the rule being enhanced back in May.  

I can't really address the rest of the post without going into murky waters, so I'm not going to......don't take that as your post being bad, because it's not, but that's as far as I want us to go here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

The Rooney Rule -what a farce ! They will do the interview as required ( most teams anyway-not ours ) and they'll hire whomever they please . Just a CYA Rule .

Looking at the hirings around the league every year for head coaches & especially GMs, the rule is needed. Because teams are required to interview minority candidates sometimes those candidates come in an blow away the owner/GM.

That's what Mike Tomlin did with the Steelers. Going into that hiring process he wasn't even considered a strong candidate, and I don't think Anthony Lynn was for the Chargers either but they blew the front office people away with their interviews. Sometimes people just need a chance and the Rooney rule makes sure they minorities at the least get that chance.

47 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Looking at the hirings around the league every year for head coaches & especially GMs, the rule is needed. Because teams are required to interview minority candidates sometimes those candidates come in an blow away the owner/GM.

That's what Mike Tomlin did with the Steelers. Going into that hiring process he wasn't even considered a strong candidate, and I don't think Anthony Lynn was for the Chargers either but they blew the front office people away with their interviews. Sometimes people just need a chance and the Rooney rule makes sure they minorities at the least get that chance.

The Rooney Family supporting "The Rooney Rule " . Turned out well for them in any case .