Dr. LDT opts out of playing in 2020

kingseanjohn

Hard not to respect that decision. Such a great guy, clearly.

So, as far as cap implications, I know it doesn't move to next year. It still counts as an accrued year on the contract, from what I've read, so this likely just ends his time with us. We will still be on the hook for the $2M in prorated bonus that we owed him on the cap this year, but I think the rest should come off. Save for the small bit that he's still owed under the opt out terms. So I think we should save like $3.35M in cap space, from this. But, brand new information, and the first case, so don't take my word on any of this lol.

More discussion on Twitter makes it sound like the money he foregoes tolls to the next year. So he'll $150k of his original 2020 salary this year, and we'll pay that on the cap, and then he'll get the remaining $2.6M in 2021, and still be on roster. So we'll save $2.6M this year, but pay it out in 2021. Haven't seen a solid answer on whether or not we pay out his roster bonus that was on the cap this year, of $750k. But we'll save somewhere between $2.6M and $3.35M this year, but just push it to next.

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

More discussion on Twitter makes it sound like the money he foregoes tolls to the next year. So he'll $150k of his original 2020 salary this year, and we'll pay that on the cap, and then he'll get the remaining $2.6M in 2021, and still be on roster. So we'll save $2.6M this year, but pay it out in 2021. Haven't seen a solid answer on whether or not we pay out his roster bonus that was on the cap this year, of $750k. But we'll save somewhere between $2.6M and $3.35M this year, but just push it to next.

That's worse for us with the cap expected to drop next year. At least they put a floor on it. As is, we're going to have to do a lot of restructuring, extending, or cutting vets.

17 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

That's worse for us with the cap expected to drop next year. At least they put a floor on it. As is, we're going to have to do a lot of restructuring, extending, or cutting vets.

Yup. I'm expecting, at minimum, restructures for Clark and Jones. An extension for Mathieu could help. The best financial move, but one we may not like or be prepared for, would be cutting Fisher.

Clark restructure could save about $12M. Jones could save about $14M. Mathieu restructure could save $5.5M, but an extension could save more if done right. Cutting Fisher would save $11.5M.

Digging a little deeper, you could cut Okafor to save $6M. A Kelce extension could bring some relief, but not as much as Clark or Jones. Changing Mahomes or Hill's roster bonus into signing bonus could bring some big savings. Mahomes might be a solid option, actually, as you could save about $16M, and only cost us $4M per year the 4 years after that.

So we have tons of options, honestly. The issue is every single one of those options, short of the potential Fish or Okafor cuts, have negative impacts further down the road. I hate borrowing against the future. I criticize Philly and New Orleans and other teams for it constantly. But this is kind of a rare case where I would understand it.

My one hope is that all this just tanks the free agent market as a whole. So while we're tight on money, if everyone else is, that may give us a rare chance where we can bring back a lot of our pending 2021 free agents next year, for very cheap deals. If everyone is tight on money, it's entirely possible that no one is willing to give Watkins, Sorensen, Breeland, Wilson, etc., the deals they want, so maybe they sign back for vet min type one year deals to try to retest the market when/if everything is back to normal.

Jones just signed his contract, so it's early to start restructuring. The Shark is another story, as is the Honey Badger. 

Okafor is not guaranteed a place on the 53, so that is one more element in the decision tree. He's very much the sort of player we have in Taco Charlton and Breeland Speaks. It is likely only two of those three make the roster and Speaks is still on his rookie contract.

J

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Jones just signed his contract, so it's early to start restructuring. The Shark is another story, as is the Honey Badger. 

Okafor is not guaranteed a place on the 53, so that is one more element in the decision tree. He's very much the sort of player we have in Taco Charlton and Breeland Speaks. It is likely only two of those three make the roster and Speaks is still on his rookie contract.

J

I'm not talking major restructures. Just converting salary to signing bonus so that year's earnings get spread out over the contract instead of hitting just one year. For Jones it makes literally no difference, just means he gets a lump of cash instead of cash weekly during the season. Same kind of thing we've done in past years. It's more cap beneficial the earlier in the contract you do it as it spreads it over more seasons.