Food Draft - Meal Presentation

MKnight82

On 8/18/2020 at 12:32 PM, Daboyle said:

2t2yxve2gsh51.png

Appetizer: Buffalo-Style Baked Turkey Wings (Turkey, Sriracha, Cayenne, Margarine)

Main Course: Turkey Pot Pie (Turkey, Carrots, Green Beans, Green Peas, Turkey Gravy, Cayenne, Dijon mustard, Cognac, Creme fraiche, Pie Crust)

Side: Hasselback Potatoes (Russet Potatoes, Magarine, Creme fraiche, Parsley)

Glass of Cognac

I actually used to make baked sriracha turkey wings every week when I was on my fitness bender, so I have no question there.

On the entree, you made one of my favorite comfort foods, and really have the full array of what I would expect in a pot pie, except potatoes, but have a potato side (which looks good, shows some technique).

Did you not want potatoes in the pot pie for a reason?  And, I noticed you used pre-packaged gravy instead of making your own, did you have a particular one in mind?  I’ve never had pre-packaged gravy, so I’m not sure what to expect or if it’s any good.

You did not do a dessert, but I enjoy cognac.  I take it my dessert can be more than a glass of cognac? (I’m saying I want to drink a lot)

Edited by SwAg
Parenthetical for added clarity.

11 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Did you not want potatoes in the pot pie for a reason?  And, I noticed you used pre-packaged gravy instead of making your own, did you have a particular one in mind?  I’ve never had pre-packaged gravy, so I’m not sure what to expect or if it’s any good.

You did not do a dessert, but I enjoy cognac.  I take it my dessert can be more than a glass of cognac? (I’m saying I want to drink a lot)

I felt like having a potato dish paired with a pot pie with potatoes in it would be a little too much. I originally planned on drafting a poultry broth of some kind to create my own gravy but the key components of a roux (butter/flour) were long gone and I didn't want to figure out alternative thickening agents so a premade gravy was my best option. There are premade gravys on the market that can do the job well.

You can have as many glasses of cognac as you want, my friend.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 10:18 PM, ET80 said:

From this, I make the following:

prime-rib-au-jus-4.jpg

Prime Rib with horseradish sauce and au jus...

1371595152071.jpeg

Pan fried portabello mushroom caps with au jus...

Crispy-Smashed-Potatoes_4a_1500px.jpg

Yukon gold smashed potatoes with horseradish sauce...

Creamy-Spinach-Dip-2.jpg

Creamed spinach and artichoke hearts...

26NEXT-superJumbo.jpg

My personal favorite red to pair with beef - a good Argentinian Malbec.

I have experienced some great beef at steakhouses that leave me (well, not me, but someone) with a bill that one could mistake for the GDP of a small developing nation.

I don’t think the absence of an appetizer is significant because you have a multi-component main course that isn’t disjointed, but rather complements one another.

No question on the beef, I’m assuming rare or medium rare.

I’ve never had pan-fried portobellos, or really whole portobellos prepared in any fashion, so what are those like?  Crusted?  Soft?  Can I use them as a bun to make an exorbitant prime rib sandwich with the other components?  Even if it’s messy and disintegrates as I attempt to eat it?

How are the potatoes prepared?  Boiled and fried?  Or?  Can I use this as a vessel for the spinach-artichoke?

(I am trying not to use the photos because not everyone can have precisely what they made).

Malbec 👌🏼 

You think you’re missing something not having a dessert?

Can I have my wine with ice to trigger the wine snobs who care how I live my life with the bottle I typically purchased?

1 hour ago, SwAg said:

No question on the beef, I’m assuming rare or medium rare.

Correct - rare.

1 hour ago, SwAg said:

I’ve never had pan-fried portobellos, or really whole portobellos prepared in any fashion, so what are those like?  Crusted?  Soft?

They're soft, but firm - a light crust on them, but fork tender outside the edges.

1 hour ago, SwAg said:

Can I use them as a bun to make an exorbitant prime rib sandwich with the other components?  Even if it’s messy and disintegrates as I attempt to eat it?

That is absolutely on the table. Dip it in the au jus for extra decadence.

1 hour ago, SwAg said:

How are the potatoes prepared?  Boiled and fried?

Boiled, smashed, dipped in ghee, salt/peppered and baked.

1 hour ago, SwAg said:

Can I use this as a vessel for the spinach-artichoke?

This is actually a solid idea I hadn't thought of - the crunchy consistency of the potatoes along with the creamy spinach and artichoke would be a killer combo.

1 hour ago, SwAg said:

You think you’re missing something not having a dessert?

Yeah - in hindsight, I should have done something, anything. It's a really good meal, but it just sort of ends, no real finisher to bring it home.

1 hour ago, SwAg said:

Can I have my wine with ice to trigger the wine snobs who care how I live my life with the bottle I typically purchased?

Now I'll be upset if you don't. I'm a "boxed wine" connoisseur, I don't have a good Malbec unless someone else is paying - I like it a lot, but not holding anyone to any standards. I think those that do hold those standards need to be knocked down a notch...so be my vessel of chaos on this one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SwAg said:

Counselor, your meal is the only one without any contrast in texture, which was not obvious until I looked for what I was supposed to use as a vessel for guacamole that I want to eat.  Everything is soft (except CTC, which I’m frankly not eating), why should I overlook that, and what is the guacamole to be used on?

Did you shallow or deep poach the seafood in the entree?

I think the pitch of Counselor's meal, as I tried to finish it up, was just to throw out a bunch of expensive shellfish to chow down on.  I don't think about textures much for these.

I would've planned a shallow poaching.  When I took over picking I just kind of abandoned the guacamole, and just put it there as an extra thing.

20 hours ago, SwAg said:

So, I am going to read every dish, and ask any questions I have about the dish, and give you an opportunity to sell your dish to me before I render my votes.

I will explain myself fully to avoid the spiteful popularity contest.

To answer your previous questions about my dish, you can indeed remove mango straight up from most of the stuff it's in.  Any of the venison Won't be the same, and obviously chutney, drinks, and the one dessert can't get rid of it.  Doubles can be eaten without chutney and I usually never make it at home just for doubles.

The ones I'm thinking of voting for, as it stands, are Counselor (because I like to pig out on expensive shellfish), Swag (because duck makes everything good, and wings, but **** anything coconut), and ET80 (prime rib is hard to beat, also mushrooms).

Mwil's suffers just because I don't really like greek food very much and I'm sick of figs because I have a fig tree.

Daboyle's is my arbitrary tastes too: I just don't get excited about pot pies, and Swag's also has wings.

MKnight got got by my own produce too.  I've eaten so many tomatoes in the last month and a half that I'm picking anything else at this point.

Brownies's because I have literally never had a manhattan, and am lactose intolerant, so the pasta's out too.

51 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Correct - rare.

They're soft, but firm - a light crust on them, but fork tender outside the edges.

That is absolutely on the table. Dip it in the au jus for extra decadence.

Boiled, smashed, dipped in ghee, salt/peppered and baked.

This is actually a solid idea I hadn't thought of - the crunchy consistency of the potatoes along with the creamy spinach and artichoke would be a killer combo.

Yeah - in hindsight, I should have done something, anything. It's a really good meal, but it just sort of ends, no real finisher to bring it home.

Now I'll be upset if you don't. I'm a "boxed wine" connoisseur, I don't have a good Malbec unless someone else is paying - I like it a lot, but not holding anyone to any standards. I think those that do hold those standards need to be knocked down a notch...so be my vessel of chaos on this one.

I’m glad you’re going rare, because anything above medium rare and I was afraid I would have to beat you to death with the baseball mit you tried to feed me.

Tbh, this meal was right up my alley in that it can be interactive, and I can make any bite as simple or complex as I want.

I ask about the ice because I had some waiter at a steakhouse in New Orleans refuse to get me ice for wine.  Actually had to get a manager.  I’m a pretty generous tipper, but **** that guy, I was angry drinking after being condescended by a waiter.

Also, appreciate candor on the dessert thoughts.

Edited by SwAg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think the pitch of Counselor's meal, as I tried to finish it up, was just to throw out a bunch of expensive shellfish to chow down on.  I don't think about textures much for these.

I would've planned a shallow poaching.  When I took over picking I just kind of abandoned the guacamole, and just put it there as an extra thing.

To answer your previous questions about my dish, you can indeed remove mango straight up from most of the stuff it's in.  Any of the venison Won't be the same, and obviously chutney, drinks, and the one dessert can't get rid of it.  Doubles can be eaten without chutney and I usually never make it at home just for doubles.

The ones I'm thinking of voting for, as it stands, are Counselor (because I like to pig out on expensive shellfish), Swag (because duck makes everything good, and wings, but **** anything coconut), and ET80 (prime rib is hard to beat, also mushrooms).

Mwil's suffers just because I don't really like greek food very much and I'm sick of figs because I have a fig tree.

Daboyle's is my arbitrary tastes too: I just don't get excited about pot pies, and Swag's also has wings.

MKnight got got by my own produce too.  I've eaten so many tomatoes in the last month and a half that I'm picking anything else at this point.

Brownies's because I have literally never had a manhattan, and am lactose intolerant, so the pasta's out too.

Yeah, I went through and extricated what I could from your dish to assess it on.  Just unfortunate because I was most curious about your dish due to past food discussions (your passionate defense of biscuits and gravy as a bona fide meal carried its influence here).

I knew coconut would alienate some people, which is why I did two dessert choices.

I was originally going to do a white chocolate mississippi mud pie as an option, but opted for the truffle instead.

Key Lime was locked in because I could use it in mojitos, wings, carbonara, multiple desserts, and as my acid to make cheese.  But, wanted to have a key lime pie with a twist to make it memorable, so coconut cream instead of sweetened condensed milk, and a coconut macaroon crust instead of graham crackers.

So, rolling with the punches there.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:01 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pre-dinner cocktail: Manhattan 

Manhattan.jpg

Dinner:

Grilled Chilean sea bass with Cajun seasoning with pappardelle noodles cooked in a white sauce made from Chardonnay/garlic salt/half and half/lemon juice/pecorino romano/sundried tomatoes.  Paired with Chardonnay.

After dinner drink: bourbon

I probably won’t even pick my own dish, but bourbon, manhattans and wine ain’t a bad meal.  Plus there’s food too.

It is pretty difficult to overlook that I dislike cajun seasoning when it’s the seasoning for half the food.  How heavy handed with this Cajun flavoring are you?  Any chance I could bury it in the pasta sauce?

Alcohol is always great for a meal, but do you feel like you’re missing something without a food appetizer or dessert?

This bourbon — any kind?  Am I paying for it?