FedEx Field & INOVA Performance Center Streets Renamed for Gibbs & ST

turtle28

On 9/2/2020 at 4:35 PM, turtle28 said:

That won’t be for years. Also, I think they had to replace the names on the roads bc of the name change.

2027 isn't that far away anymore.

And there's the hope that Snyder won't be involved by that point ...

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

2027 isn't that far away anymore.

And there's the hope that Snyder won't be involved by that point ...

Very true, but it is still years away. Also, they may have to build their new stadium in the same area if they can’t get an agreement w/ DC & if they don’t want to move to Ashburn so, the street names there could be permanent for a new stadium. They can always move those street names to location of the next stadium too.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Very true, but it is still years away.

Realistically, given that a new stadium would take 2-3 years to build, they're going to be aggressively looking at options in 4 years or so. Actually, it could be even sooner when you have to factor in environmental and traffic impact studies.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Also, they may have to build their new stadium in the same area if they can’t get an agreement w/ DC & if they don’t want to move to Ashburn

That would be even more difficult since that would inevitably require tearing up the existing parking lots to build since they're effectively hemmed in on all sides at the FedEx location.

I suppose they could demolish FedEx and try to play in Byrd Stadium or Audi Field (hey, it "worked" for the Chargers), but that could extend out the "opening" date of the new stadium due to having to truck out all of the debris before building on the existing site. Though, I suspect CDI wouldn't mind adding another stadium implosion to their channel (they're also relatively local (Phoenix, MD)): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGG4oCSX1CB26OeYL6xN1uA

8 minutes ago, Woz said:

I may be wrong on this, but that might be harder than you think.

Can’t really say why I disagree but if a county executive or mayor wants to rename a street it’s been proven recently that can be done rather quickly. It was done in DC & it was done at Fed Ex Field too w/ in a month.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Can’t really say why I disagree but if a county executive or mayor wants to rename a street it’s been proven recently that can be done rather quickly. It was done in DC & it was done at Fed Ex Field too w/ in a month.

Which is different than a private citizen.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Which is different than a private citizen.

Snyder just got it done at Fed Ex Field w/in what seemed like a month or two once we changed the name. I’m sure they had to get approval from Prince George’s County Executive and the County Council to get that done, it didn’t take long.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Snyder just got it done at Fed Ex Field w/in what seemed like a month or two once we changed the name. I’m sure they had to get approval from Prince George’s County Executive and the County Council to get that done, it didn’t take long.

Doing it once? Okay. However, how long did it take? I cannot believe that he just now decided to name the streets after Gibbs and Taylor.

Doing it twice and moving them? That might be harder.

I don't know. Could easily be very wrong.

22 hours ago, Woz said:

Realistically, given that a new stadium would take 2-3 years to build, they're going to be aggressively looking at options in 4 years or so. Actually, it could be even sooner when you have to factor in environmental and traffic impact studies.

That would be even more difficult since that would inevitably require tearing up the existing parking lots to build since they're effectively hemmed in on all sides at the FedEx location.

I suppose they could demolish FedEx and try to play in Byrd Stadium or Audi Field (hey, it "worked" for the Chargers), but that could extend out the "opening" date of the new stadium due to having to truck out all of the debris before building on the existing site. Though, I suspect CDI wouldn't mind adding another stadium implosion to their channel (they're also relatively local (Phoenix, MD)): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGG4oCSX1CB26OeYL6xN1uA

I went on vacation to Dallas/Arlington last year and did the tour of the Cowboys stadium.  I highly recommend it if anyone is visiting there, especially if you are interested in architecture, construction or even just getting a behind the scenes look at a building like this.  I learned quite a bit.  Given that the land is already graded for the parking lot, I would say it would probably be closer to two years.  The entire first year of construction at Jerry World was basically getting ready for initial construction (and how far underground things are is pretty nutty there.). 

The name change does clear up some things, but winning is the second major hurdle.  Given how much money Richmond hasn't made with the team being there for training camp, I don't think Virginia is interested.  In Maryland, Hogan floated a site near the National Harbor but pulled it back.  That leaves DC and trying to get the old RFK site, which might come down to how the team progresses from here on out.  

Honestly, I think he might have to tear down Fed Ex.  Byrd Stadium's capacity is 52,000, which we don't even fill right now at Fed Ex.  Audi Field is a fraction of that at 20,000, and Navy Marine Corps Stadium can be retrofitted to hold close to 40,000.  It's also possible that they could share Empty Bank with the Ravens for that time.  So there is no shortage of options in the immediate area of Fed Ex if they are tearing down the stadium.  

• Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 11:30 PM, Woz said:

Doing it once? Okay. However, how long did it take? I cannot believe that he just now decided to name the streets after Gibbs and Taylor.

Doing it twice and moving them? That might be harder.

I don't know. Could easily be very wrong.

They did it after the name change. 

19 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I went on vacation to Dallas/Arlington last year and did the tour of the Cowboys stadium.  I highly recommend it if anyone is visiting there, especially if you are interested in architecture, construction or even just getting a behind the scenes look at a building like this.  I learned quite a bit.  Given that the land is already graded for the parking lot, I would say it would probably be closer to two years.  The entire first year of construction at Jerry World was basically getting ready for initial construction (and how far underground things are is pretty nutty there.). 

The name change does clear up some things, but winning is the second major hurdle.  Given how much money Richmond hasn't made with the team being there for training camp, I don't think Virginia is interested.  In Maryland, Hogan floated a site near the National Harbor but pulled it back.  That leaves DC and trying to get the old RFK site, which might come down to how the team progresses from here on out.  

Honestly, I think he might have to tear down Fed Ex.  Byrd Stadium's capacity is 52,000, which we don't even fill right now at Fed Ex.  Audi Field is a fraction of that at 20,000, and Navy Marine Corps Stadium can be retrofitted to hold close to 40,000.  It's also possible that they could share Empty Bank with the Ravens for that time.  So there is no shortage of options in the immediate area of Fed Ex if they are tearing down the stadium.  

Byrd field makes most sense. Who know when we’ll even be able to have a full stadium of fans again to watch a game? That’s a great idea and point Nap.

I agree about the Cowboys stadium, I haven’t been there but my cousins, aunt & uncle went there for the Ohio State National Championship game in 2014-15.

On 9/6/2020 at 1:20 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

I was being completely tongue and cheek with Audi Field.

I don't see any chance of Snyder swallowing his pride and leasing out M&T Bank for two years. Navy is probably too far afield from where the fanbase (or what remains of it) lives. Plus a pain to get in and out of (I loathe 50 out there).

Honestly, I think Byrd is probably the only viable option. As for the foundation being graded, I wonder if it is not as good as you think given all of the drainage problems the stadium has had over the years. True, it may not be as bad as developing a whole new location, but it's something to consider.