My thoughts on Game 1.

HOF19

This is why I didn’t like the Rivers signing.

Despite that I had hope that with a great OL that he could make some things happen. I didn’t get to watch the game but I’ve been following it on Twitter and seeing some videos of plays and 2 of his INTs appeared to be forced throws and not because of defensive pressure. 

2019: Brissett doesn’t take enough chances with the ball 

2020: Rivers will do what Brissett wouldn’t do. 

I also want to add that this game isn’t the death knell that it appears but we now have to win at least 1 game against a team we have no right beating 

6 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

This is why I didn’t like the Rivers signing.

Despite that I had hope that with a great OL that he could make some things happen. I didn’t get to watch the game but I’ve been following it on Twitter and seeing some videos of plays and 2 of his INTs appeared to be forced throws and not because of defensive pressure. 

2019: Brissett doesn’t take enough chances with the ball 

2020: Rivers will do what Brissett wouldn’t do. 

I also want to add that this game isn’t the death knell that it appears but we now have to win at least 1 game against a team we have no right beating 

I keep wondering why we kept Jacoby ......Would you say that is it guaranteed that they would NEVER bench Rivers because of size of contract ???

Obviously the game was disappointing but there were some good and bad things to take away.

Good: 

Rivers.  I will discuss his INTs later in the bad section but he did a lot of good things yesterday.  Many of his passes were well placed, hit the WR in stride.  

Oline:  Overall they played another excellent game.  People will point to so and so getting beat on this play or that play.  Yes, the oline is not infallible and the other team is filled with professionals that get paid as well.  I don't expect all 5 olineman to win 100% of the time, but without going  back and grading the oline, I would say each graded above 90% except maybe Smith who probably graded in the mid to high 80s.  I need to watch Glow and his run blocking because I didn't pay much attention to that i the 2nd half.

WRs

Overall the group seemed to run good routes and were getting open. The two drops by Hilton at the end of the game were disappointing but it's not something I expect to continue.

Run defense:  After the first drive, the run defense settled down and did a pretty good job outside of one run in the 4th quarter.

The bad:

Defense:  This applies to D line, LBers, DB, coordinators, position coaches, everyone.  Now way in any universe should Mustache only throw one incomplete pass.  That is no pressure from the front 4 combined with soft coverage from the back 7.

Individually on the defense:  Autry is as bad at DE as he was at DT.  Most plays Autry was negated by one person, on that long run in the 4th quarter, Autry was taken out of the play by a TE single blocking him... pathetic.

Buckner.  Played the run well but didn't collapse the pocket much in the passing game.

Lbers - Mediocre play from the entire group.  With the quick, short passing game the Jags used the LBers have to be more active in covering their zones.

I thought Ya Sin actually played pretty well but the soft coverage combined with the quick passing game helped lead to a lot of completions.  But Rock was there to make the tackle when his guy caught the ball.

Hooker:  Another poor performance by him.

Rivers: - The 2 INTs were all his fault and poor decisions and poor throws and it's the way Rivers his showing his age and that his arm is not as strong as it used to be.  Rivers has made a career by making those throws when under pressure.  He needs to learn himself and his limitations.  I think  Reich is the right coach for that, we will see if Rivers can adapt.

The officials - Not just against the Colts, first half they let the guys play which was good but in the 2nd half they made some very questionable calls and very inopportune times.  One was a defensive holding against Jax that extended the drive for the Colts.  On the replay it looked like a pretty weak call.  Then the crack back block against Doyle as the Colts were driving was a horrible call.  Both Doyle and the guy he blocked were on the LOS when the ball was snapped, and no one else had the defender engaged which means that Doyle blocking low is perfectly legal.  I believe that was a 5-6 yard run on 1st down, so instead of 2 and short in the redzone, it became 1-25.

Running game in the 2nd half.  I need to watch the game again to diagnose the problem but it was not very consistent in the 2nd half.  For every 4 yard run, there would be a run stopped at the LOS.  I don't know if it was scheme, predictability, run blocking or the running backs not hitting the correct hole.

So-So.

Yes missing a chip shot FG was bad but overall the rookie kicker did a good job.  Punt game was good, coverage units were solid and KR and PR were unremarkable but mistake free.

I'm not going to fault Reich for going for it on 4th down inside the 5.  I like aggressive coaches and like Marv Levy used to say... if you try something and it doesn't work, you should have tried the other thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coffeedrinker said:

Obviously the game was disappointing but there were some good and bad things to take away.

Good: 

Rivers.  I will discuss his INTs later in the bad section but he did a lot of good things yesterday.  Many of his passes were well placed, hit the WR in stride.  

Oline:  Overall they played another excellent game.  People will point to so and so getting beat on this play or that play.  Yes, the oline is not infallible and the other team is filled with professionals that get paid as well.  I don't expect all 5 olineman to win 100% of the time, but without going  back and grading the oline, I would say each graded above 90% except maybe Smith who probably graded in the mid to high 80s.  I need to watch Glow and his run blocking because I didn't pay much attention to that i the 2nd half.

WRs

Overall the group seemed to run good routes and were getting open. The two drops by Hilton at the end of the game were disappointing but it's not something I expect to continue.

Run defense:  After the first drive, the run defense settled down and did a pretty good job outside of one run in the 4th quarter.

The bad:

Defense:  This applies to D line, LBers, DB, coordinators, position coaches, everyone.  Now way in any universe should Mustache only throw one incomplete pass.  That is no pressure from the front 4 combined with soft coverage from the back 7.

Individually on the defense:  Autry is as bad at DE as he was at DT.  Most plays Autry was negated by one person, on that long run in the 4th quarter, Autry was taken out of the play by a TE single blocking him... pathetic.

Buckner.  Played the run well but didn't collapse the pocket much in the passing game.

Lbers - Mediocre play from the entire group.  With the quick, short passing game the Jags used the LBers have to be more active in covering their zones.

I thought Ya Sin actually played pretty well but the soft coverage combined with the quick passing game helped lead to a lot of completions.  But Rock was there to make the tackle when his guy caught the ball.

Hooker:  Another poor performance by him.

Rivers: - The 2 INTs were all his fault and poor decisions and poor throws and it's the way Rivers his showing his age and that his arm is not as strong as it used to be.  Rivers has made a career by making those throws when under pressure.  He needs to learn himself and his limitations.  I think  Reich is the right coach for that, we will see if Rivers can adapt.

The officials - Not just against the Colts, first half they let the guys play which was good but in the 2nd half they made some very questionable calls and very inopportune times.  One was a defensive holding against Jax that extended the drive for the Colts.  On the replay it looked like a pretty weak call.  Then the crack back block against Doyle as the Colts were driving was a horrible call.  Both Doyle and the guy he blocked were on the LOS when the ball was snapped, and no one else had the defender engaged which means that Doyle blocking low is perfectly legal.  I believe that was a 5-6 yard run on 1st down, so instead of 2 and short in the redzone, it became 1-25.

Running game in the 2nd half.  I need to watch the game again to diagnose the problem but it was not very consistent in the 2nd half.  For every 4 yard run, there would be a run stopped at the LOS.  I don't know if it was scheme, predictability, run blocking or the running backs not hitting the correct hole.

So-So.

Yes missing a chip shot FG was bad but overall the rookie kicker did a good job.  Punt game was good, coverage units were solid and KR and PR were unremarkable but mistake free.

I'm not going to fault Reich for going for it on 4th down inside the 5.  I like aggressive coaches and like Marv Levy used to say... if you try something and it doesn't work, you should have tried the other thing.

Nice summation. I saw things I liked, and things I raised an eyebrow over. I agree that the back seven on D looked out of sync. I thought the oline blocked well for PR, but I agree, the guys on the other side of the ball get paid too. I think many fans are going out of their minds, because they think the Jags are the worse team in the league. I think we may find over time, that is not the case. Did you like Campy catching the ball?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Warhorse said:

Nice summation. I saw things I liked, and things I raised an eyebrow over. I agree that the back seven on D looked out of sync. I thought the oline blocked well for PR, but I agree, the guys on the other side of the ball get paid too. I think many fans are going out of their minds, because they think the Jags are the worse team in the league. I think we may find over time, that is not the case. Did you like Campy catching the ball?

I didn't pay a lot of attention to how Campbell caught the ball but I was not surprised he was the leading receiver.  Watching last year, when he played I saw a guy that was a good route running, fast out of his breaks and tracked the ball well.

I plan on watching the Colts film on Gamepass to see what what happened to Pittman.  I don't expect rookie WR to set the world on fire in their first game but I do expect more than 2 targets and 2 catches for 5 yards.  Especially because the Colts had a few opportunities in the redzone on those 3rd and 4th down plays that TY dropped is the stuff Pittman should excel at.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, coffeedrinker said:

I plan on watching the Colts film on Gamepass to see what what happened to Pittman.  I don't expect rookie WR to set the world on fire in their first game but I do expect more than 2 targets and 2 catches for 5 yards.  Especially because the Colts had a few opportunities in the redzone on those 3rd and 4th down plays that TY dropped is the stuff Pittman should excel at.

Of Rivers 36 completions, 17 went to RBs on 17 targets. 
Campbell and Hilton had 9 targets each. Campbell 6-9 and Hilton 4-9. They combined for 8 of Rivers 10 incompletions. Doyle and Pascal were the other 2 

• Like 2