OJ Howard-Confirmed done for the year

ravishingone

23 minutes ago, indifference said:

3 years in a row on IR. Not sure if Licht is going to throw him away. He has been productive than Justin Evans who still has a roster spot. Hope we bring OJ back

Pretty sure, Evans is on IR, and more importantly on his rookie contract.  He has played 14 games twice in his career.  They have activated Howard s 5th yr option.  Now can they cut him, once he is deemed healthy?  I believe the 5th yr option is @ 6 million.  Reduction in cap, FAs to sign, not sure what they do.  I ve seen other players come back from achilles tears in less then 6 months.  Branden Brooks comes to mind.  Either way, hopefully OJ comes back healthy and quickly.

10 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Pretty sure, Evans is on IR, and more importantly on his rookie contract.  He has played 14 games twice in his career.  They have activated Howard s 5th yr option.  Now can they cut him, once he is deemed healthy?  I believe the 5th yr option is @ 6 million.  Reduction in cap, FAs to sign, not sure what they do.  I ve seen other players come back from achilles tears in less then 6 months.  Branden Brooks comes to mind.  Either way, hopefully OJ comes back healthy and quickly.

The difference is Evans has been trash and has terrible game grades in both coverage and tackling. OJ has showed flashes of elite blocking and at times play making. I rather hold onto what I seen from Howard. No doubt in my mind Licht brings OJ back.

5 minutes ago, indifference said:

The difference is Evans has been trash and has terrible game grades in both coverage and tackling. OJ has showed flashes of elite blocking and at times play making. I rather hold onto what I seen from Howard. No doubt in my mind Licht brings OJ back.

I believe the main point is they couldn t cut Evans. because he was injured on the field.  Pretty sure within the guidelines of the CBA, the team is on the hook for his salary until he is deemed healthy.  He can t be treated as an UDFA and get an injury settlement.  Now, this is where it gets interesting for me.  OJ was injured on the field and the Bucs activated his 5th yr option.  So I m pretty sure OJ gets the same salary protection.  OJ could be back with him on the books for 6 million. and the Bucs cannot cut him, and OJ doesn t have to take a mutually agreed upon lesser salary like Brate.  This will all become clearer after the season.  

Back to Evans, this certainly his last season here because his rookie deal is done.