Lions Forum Fantasy Baseball Discussion Thread #31

X_Factor_40

2 hours ago, TimeForChange said:

That’s not how that works. In draft ok but in season it goes to waivers

Yes it should be waivers. That’s the most fair way. I don’t like anything but normal waivers. I’m past I’ve waited for people to get waivers 

2 hours ago, FootballPhreak said:

I like the idea of raising Innings min. The slippery slope started when X drafted a guy. We are on it now though and there is no way we can allow one but not the other.  Allowing draft picks to take place of waiver order? That makes less sense than claiming an open roster spot for a guy.

Draft is nowhere near same as in season. Comparison is not valid 

Just now, TimeForChange said:

But seriously. Is there anyone around that wants to discuss trades?

I have had enough beers to get dysfunctional 

I rarely have time, but do right now. I don't have much though. And I am a former alcoholic and leader of a recovery ministry. :)

2 minutes ago, FootballPhreak said:

I rarely have time, but do right now. I don't have much though. And I am a former alcoholic and leader of a recovery ministry. :)

You got Harper and Trout. I’m done barking up that tree.

Are you saying I’m an alcoholic?! Haha. It’s just a good night man. 

10 minutes ago, TimeForChange said:

You got Harper and Trout. I’m done barking up that tree.

Are you saying I’m an alcoholic?! Haha. It’s just a good night man. 

Wasn't saying that at all. Interesting you thought I was though....

(My turn to bust your chops) :)

15 minutes ago, TimeForChange said:

But seriously. Is there anyone around that wants to discuss trades?

I have had enough beers to get dysfunctional 

I am always open to discussing trades.

As for the Harper trade let’s run it down.

I got Kluber who is an aging pitcher. However he’s shown no signs of slowing down.

I got Schoop whom I view as a keeper at second base and he’s young.

I got Max Kepler who is also young and provided me an outfielder.

I got Kendrick. He’s an outfielder that provides a reasonable average and not much more.

I got a first round pick which I believe will be high enough to draft an extremely good player.

So, I got a young keeper second baseman that I really like. I got a number one arm which I desperately needed, two roster players and a valuable pick.

I had another offer that I would have accepted but Phreak through in a number one pick.

The sad reality is we can only keep 5 players each year. I advertised I was going to move Harper but only had serious interest from two owners with last minute interest from two others.

Phreaks offer was most acceptable to me and was, in my view, the best offer I received.

So it’s nice to think more could have been attained but in practice I couldn’t.

This move was required because I didn’t check pitching categories before the draft and it became apparent I needed pitching help.

So I guess if I wanted to hold on to Harper I could’ve done that but it wouldn’t help me achieve my goal of acquiring a number 1 arm.

Currently I already have more than enough keeper quality players.

So, if I understand the discussion. I can protect a roster spot for a player that’s not in the database yet?

So, in theory I could look at the number one pitcher in the draft, announce I want him and when he’s added to the database he’s mine?

That doesn’t seem right.

3 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I am always open to discussing trades.

As for the Harper trade let’s run it down.

I got Kluber who is an aging pitcher. However he’s shown no signs of slowing down.

I got Schoop whom I view as a keeper at second base and he’s young.

I got Max Kepler who is also young and provided me an outfielder.

I got Kendrick. He’s an outfielder that provides a reasonable average and not much more.

I got a first round pick which I believe will be high enough to draft an extremely good player.

So, I got a young keeper second baseman that I really like. I got a number one arm which I desperately needed, two roster players and a valuable pick.

I had another offer that I would have accepted but Phreak through in a number one pick.

The sad reality is we can only keep 5 players each year. I advertised I was going to move Harper but only had serious interest from two owners with last minute interest from two others.

Phreaks offer was most acceptable to me and was, in my view, the best offer I received.

So it’s nice to think more could have been attained but in practice I couldn’t.

This move was required because I didn’t check pitching categories before the draft and it became apparent I needed pitching help.

So I guess if I wanted to hold on to Harper I could’ve done that but it wouldn’t help me achieve my goal of acquiring a number 1 arm.

Currently I already have more than enough keeper quality players.

No need to break it down. I was just giving Phreak a hard time. I would not have traded Harper if it was me in that scenario but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong

2 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

So, if I understand the discussion. I can protect a roster spot for a player that’s not in the database yet?

So, in theory I could look at the number one pitcher in the draft, announce I want him and when he’s added to the database he’s mine?

That doesn’t seem right.

Agreed 

21 minutes ago, TimeForChange said:

No need to break it down. I was just giving Phreak a hard time. I would not have traded Harper if it was me in that scenario but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong

Explaining just keeps the discussion going. Also, it just reveals my thought process, or lack thereof.?‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I’m not for this leaving an open roster spot for a guy not in the database. Waivers is the only fair way.  The Bichette thing was a draft pick, he was selected in the normal process.  After that, everyone hits waivers.  

The "normal process" is acquisition. Draft picks and pickups are 2 forms of that process. You can not allow one without the other and can not disallow one without disallowing the other. There is absolutely no logical way you can tell me draft picks make more sense than a pickup. All a pickup is, is a way to replace a draft pick. You either allow a saved roster spot or you don't. In most fantasy brands, it would not be an issue because the players we are all coveting are in the database. You can't penalize X or me because ESPN is slow.

Calling dibs on players that aren't in the pool yet is ridiculous. 

I feel like you are mostly trying to make a point that X shouldn't have drafted a player that doesn't exist on ESPN yet in the first place, which I do agree that we need to vote on some kind of rule involving that. 

Archived