Don’t look now but Terry is on pace for a great season

turtle28

43 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Points taken.  It is just hard for me to align with him being elite until his big games at least coincide with Ws even a few.  But you are right that it is a bit unfair look at a player in a tunnel.  You have to consider what is around him.  Hopefully next year he will have a more stable/competent offense around him and we will see his greatness translate to wins.

He is definitely the kind of player I am excited to have on my team and someone we can build around.

True.  I guess something is to be said if he has elite numbers on this pile of crap team.

@e16bball post also brings some strength to this argument.  At some point I just want to see his production translate to wins.

But Kirk has played with numerous pro bowlers at different receiving positions 

I’ll take

diggs, theilin, Rudolph, irv smith, cook

theilin, Jefferson, Rudolph, Irv Smith, cook

garcon, Jackson, Reed, Davis, crowder, Thompson 

I’ll take any of those groups of pass catchers over a top 5 WR any day of the week

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

But Kirk has played with numerous pro bowlers at different receiving positions 

I’ll take

diggs, theilin, Rudolph, irv smith, cook

theilin, Jefferson, Rudolph, Irv Smith, cook

garcon, Jackson, Reed, Davis, crowder, Thompson 

I’ll take any of those groups of pass catchers over a top 5 WR any day of the week

I wouldn’t bc none of them are the clutch WR that you can go to with the game on the line at the end of the game who will make the big time reception almost every single time.

People act like it’s only the QB who has to make that clutch play at the end of the game to deliver the victory, that’s wrong, you have to have an receiver (elite TE or WR) who is on the receiving end of that play too. Having an elite receiver to go with that good QB is needed, or vice versa but you need to have one of the two.

We had a good QB who needed a WR like Terry - someone you can always go to with the game on the line and he’ll make the clutch catch almost every time - instead McCloughan gave Kirk Josh Doctson! 

If we had Kirk now w/ Terry I can’t even imagine what they’d be doing together and how awesome our passing game would be.

@offbyone I hate to keep talking about it Kirk bc he’s not here and isn’t coming back but why do people forget about the big games he did win here when his weapons were healthy in 2015 and the big win he had vs Aaron Rodgers and the packers in 2016 in Primetime? Why do people forget about his big wins last season with the Vikings and his huge playoff win at New Orleans in the playoffs, one of the hardest places to play in the NFL. And yes, he did drop a dime to Theilen to seal that victory in the playoffs.

I mean I can take people back to the 2015-16 home playoff game vs the Packers and if DJax gets into the endzone in the first half - like he should have instead of being lazy about it - or if Alfred Morris can punch it in from the one on the next 3 plays after DJax didn’t score we/Kirk probably wins that playoff game too against Aaron Rodgers.

People really have selective memory about Kirk Cousins’ tenure in big games and big game moments as a Redskins QB. It wasn’t that he NEVER made clutch plays - bc sometimes he did - it’s that he didn’t make the clutch play every time in every game which lines up with most QBs careers, even some of the great ones.

Edited by turtle28

43 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Points taken.  It is just hard for me to align with him being elite until his big games at least coincide with Ws even a few.  But you are right that it is a bit unfair look at a player in a tunnel.  You have to consider what is around him.  Hopefully next year he will have a more stable/competent offense around him and we will see his greatness translate to wins.

He is definitely the kind of player I am excited to have on my team and someone we can build around.

True.  I guess something is to be said if he has elite numbers on this pile of crap team.

@e16bball post also brings some strength to this argument.  At some point I just want to see his production translate to wins.

I’m with you on this, for what it’s worth. 

The pace he’s on this year — 100 receptions, 1384 yards — absolutely suggests elite receiver. 

But the thing that makes the truly elite guys special is that they maintain their high level of play from week to week, month to month, year to year. That consistently excellent play is what differentiates them from really good players who sort of ebb and flow. Kobe Bryant said that, I think, about consistency separating the great ones from the good. 

I absolutely love the trajectory Terry is on. I love his character, I love the way his game has grown since he got here, and I love that he can beat you in various ways. Adding this run-after-catch dominance to where he was as a rookie makes him truly dangerous in every respect. He just needs to be able to maintain this level for a while to join guys like Nuk and Julio and Adams. He just needs time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m with you on this, for what it’s worth. 

The pace he’s on this year — 100 receptions, 1384 yards — absolutely suggests elite receiver. 

But the thing that makes the truly elite guys special is that they maintain their high level of play from week to week, month to month, year to year. That consistently excellent play is what differentiates them from really good players who sort of ebb and flow. Kobe Bryant said that, I think, about consistency separating the great ones from the good. 

I absolutely love the trajectory Terry is on. I love his character, I love the way his game has grown since he got here, and I love that he can beat you in various ways. Adding this run-after-catch dominance to where he was as a rookie makes him truly dangerous in every respect. He just needs to be able to maintain this level for a while to join guys like Nuk and Julio and Adams. He just needs time.

Agreed, I will say though that Terry has always had the run after the catch ability. The issue up until Terry played with Alex Smith for 3 quarters last Sunday is that Terry had inaccurate QBs throwing him the ball the last year and a half - outside of Colt who wasn't healthy nor the answer last year either. If/when Terry gets hit in stride, in the rythym of his route then he has the opportunity for more YAC.

Sadly, Keenum, Haskins & Allen weren't doing that bc they weren't accurate enough - heck, how many times did Keenum & Haskins miss an open Terry last year? At least a handful. I think Alex can throw more accurately to Terry moving forward - at least better than those other 3 - and I'm intrigued to see the chemistry that Alex & Terry develop the second half of this season.

Edited by turtle28

17 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

He's very good. Very good. I'm not using the "E" word yet. He's not in the DeAndre, Julio category for me. 

But if there’s ever a guy you can see getting there it’s him. That mental with his routes hands and just his grit i agree he’s not going to get the credit of being elite yet but I will say he’s right on the edge simply because the door swinging at QB. But Terry is the biggest reason for hope going forward I see no reason the E word can’t be thrown around by seasons end. Terry is a spark for this franchise I think by seasons end he and Gibson make it clear that a TE and QB are a must moving forward. We need to improve the OL but that unit is actually improving with time so I think if our guy is there you take him no questions asked

• Like 1