MikeT14 Presents: 30 for 30 - The Quarterback Rotation in DC

MikeT14

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Trivia: 

The highest completion % among any of the 30 in starts in a given season was Kirk Cousins in 2015: 69.8%

Man you really did some work on this thread Mike big props!!! I know the list isn’t very impressive but the work you put in is bud big props!!!

20. John Friez

s-l300.jpg

Year Name Starts Wins Losses Win % Comp % Passing Yards Passing TDs INTs Rushing Yards Rushing TDs
1994 John Friez 4 1 3 25.0% 58.3% 1016 8 7 1 0

One of the many one year stop gaps on the team, Friez is an interesting one. This was Norv's first year, as well as my first year of really watching Washington. He started the first four games of the season, and never played for the team again. It was a unique time. We had just drafted our QB of the future in Heath Shuler, and Gus Frerotte to back him up. But with two rookies, Friez got his shot to start the season. He wasn't awful. His lone win saw him throw 4 TDs, and another saw him throw for nearly 400 yards passing. A three INT performance against a lowly Falcons team was his ultimate demise. 

• Like 1

19. Danny Wuerffel

quarterback-danny-wuerffel-of-the-washin 

Year Name Starts Wins Losses Win % Comp % Passing Yards Passing TDs INTs Rushing Yards Rushing TDs
2002 Danny Wuerffel 4 2 2 50.0% 63.0% 648 3 4 76 0

Another one I might argue I am thinking too highly of, but hey, when you're one of the winningest starting QBs of the last 25+ years, you can be a little bias - even if one of those starting wins wasn't your doing ;). The first on the list of the original three-headed monster of Spurrier's first season, Wuerffel was also the worst statistically. It's amazing we even went 7-9 that season. 

Trivia: Most passing yards in a season by someone not named Kirk Cousins - 1) Brad Johnson, 1999, 4005 yards 2) Jason Campbell, 2009, 3618 yards 3) Gus Frerotte, 1996, 3453 yards

Bonus: Most passing yards in a season by someone not starting 16 games - Donovan McNabb, 3377 yards in 2010.

20. John Friez

s-l300.jpg

1994 John Friez 4 1 3 25.0% 58.3% 1016 8 7 1 0

One of the many one year stop gaps on the team, Friez is an interesting one. This was Norv's first year, as well as my first year of really watching Washington. He started the first four games of the season, and never played for the team again. It was a unique time. We had just drafted our QB of the future in Heath Shuler, and Gus Frerotte to back him up. But with two rookies, Friez got his shot to start the season. He wasn't awful. His lone win saw him throw 4 TDs, and another saw him throw for nearly 400 yards passing. A three INT performance against a lowly Falcons team was his ultimate demise.

Looking back on it, Friez should’ve gotten more games, just like Rich Gannon should’ve gotten more games to prove themselves in a Washington uniform but, because we had drafted Shuler we forced him onto the field too soon. I have to say, Heath Shuler was probably the most disappointing draft pick I’ve ever had as a Washington fan. I was 14 when we drafted him and really thought he was going to be awesome for us, I was so disappointed.

• Like 1

Trivia: Most passing yards in a season by someone not named Kirk Cousins - 1) Brad Johnson, 1999, 4005 yards 2) Jason Campbell, 2009, 3618 yards 3) Gus Frerotte, 1996, 3453 yards

Bonus: Most passing yards in a season by someone not starting 16 games - Donovan McNabb, 3377 yards in 2010.

Trent Green in 1998?

#18 Mark Rypien

sb29_1327423141.jpg?uuid=ZCITQkaqEeGMtM1

1993 Mark Rypien 10 3 7 30.0% 52.0% 1514 4 10 4 3

On one hand, it is completely unfair to have Rypien this low. On the other hand, this is from the 1993 season on, and he was abysmal. It was the beginning of the end for him, injuries and age and the like. 

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

#18 Mark Rypien

sb29_1327423141.jpg?uuid=ZCITQkaqEeGMtM1

1993 Mark Rypien 10 3 7 30.0% 52.0% 1514 4 10 4 3

On one hand, it is completely unfair to have Rypien this low. On the other hand, this is from the 1993 season on, and he was abysmal. It was the beginning of the end for him, injuries and age and the like. 

Yeah man, really a shame he kept getting hurt after 91-92. The reason we traded Stan Humphries to the Chargers was bc we had Rypien. Then, Rypien kept getting hurt and Humphries made the Chargers of all teams into a Super Bowl contender for years and they made a Super Bowl too. Regardless, anyone was going to keep Rypien over Humphries at that point in their careers but Casserly did get jobbed by Bobby Bethard on that trade! 😂 

Edited by turtle28

#17 Jeff Hostetler 

6eaa1ed1d0c0d5274a2bd995b0193f96--washin

1997 Jeff Hostetler 3 2 1 66.7% 54.9% 899 5 7 28 0

Again, a little bias, because as a kid I was also a Raiders fan, so I was pumped when he came to Washington. His stats don't show it, but he did win 2 out of 3 starts, and... like I did with Wuerffel, I held that in high regard. Quick fact: I was at the game where Gus Frerotte rammed his head into the wall and Hostetler came in to throw 3 INTs and tie a game. 

#16 Donovan McNabb

Donovan+McNabb+Philadelphia+Eagles+v+Was

2010 Donovan McNabb    13   5     8 38.5% 58.3% 3377 14 15 151 0

This one is weird. Not the worst we had, and certainly not the best. Ended up getting bench for Rex Grossman. This was the first year of the Shanny era, after the disastrous Zorn one. He had his own issues as well, but I think he would have been more competent in another year over Rex/Beck. 

That said...

#15 Rex Grossman

Rex+Grossman+Washington+Redskins+v+Dalla

SUM 16 6 10     3991 23 24 17 1
2010 Rex Grossman 3 1 2 33.3% 55.6% 840 7 4 6 0
2011 Rex Grossman 13 5 8 38.5% 57.9% 3151 16 20 11 1

I think it's only fair to put Rex slightly ahead of McNabb - he finishes a full 16 games as starter over two seasons, and threw for nearly 4000 yards. A 6-10 record isn't even among the worst. Probably should be higher even, but ... I can't.