BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

1 minute ago, Blue said:

am I allowed to say that I'm not surprised Fields is struggling as a passer or do the snowflakes still think it's "too early"

If you totally invested into a running game offense there is a lot of upside. He can definitely improve as a passer. So can Trevor and we all thought he had unlimited upside.

Just now, MD4L said:

If you totally invested into a running game offense there is a lot of upside. He can definitely improve as a passer. So can Trevor and we all thought he had unlimited upside.

Bold is a big "yikes" when you're talking about a guy who was touted as an equal prospect to Trevor Lawrence, who was and is widely regarded as a generational QB prospect, for nearly two years.

Yeah, he can definitely improve, but there's not a lot exactly a lot of room to get worse either, y'know?

• Like 1

Just now, MD4L said:

Trevor and Justin were by far my favorite prospects in this class so color me shocked Mac Jones has definitively been QB1 based on game performances.

Honestly, that's not terribly surprising. Jones is an ideal game manager who did a really great job of finding his playmakers and not turning the ball over at Alabama. The question there is whether he has the ability to become more than what he is right now, and he's not exactly blowing the doors off the NFL (albeit with an awful receiving group around him).

Just now, Blue said:

Bold is a big "yikes" when you're talking about a guy who was touted as an equal prospect to Trevor Lawrence, who was and is widely regarded as a generational QB prospect, for nearly two years.

Yeah, he can definitely improve, but there's not a lot exactly a lot of room to get worse either, y'know?

Meh. Most people would’ve told you Lamar Jackson is RB or bust. We’ve seen Allen, Lamar, and even Kyler take massive steps as passers in the NFL. It isn’t a death sentence like years ago and having running upside is big benefit for rookie contract QBs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

Meh. Most people would’ve told you Lamar Jackson is RB or bust. We’ve seen Allen, Lamar, and even Kyler take massive steps as passers in the NFL. It isn’t a death sentence like years ago and having running upside is big benefit for rookie contract QBs.

We've also seen guys like Robert Griffin and Colin Kaepernick flame out. I don't think any of those five were this bad as rookies (maybe Allen).

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Honestly, that's not terribly surprising. Jones is an ideal game manager who did a really great job of finding his playmakers and not turning the ball over at Alabama. The question there is whether he has the ability to become more than what he is right now, and he's not exactly blowing the doors off the NFL (albeit with an awful receiving group around him).

Trevor (with an elite coaching staff) could’ve been elite in year one. His targets as a rookie include significant responsibility for Agnew and Tavon Austin lol. Jacksonville doesn’t distinguishly use Jones or Shenault more than the previous aforementioned players. 

EDIT: RB1 Carlos Hyde too. 

• Like 1

Just now, MD4L said:

Trevor (with an elite coaching staff) could’ve been elite in year one. His targets as a rookie include significant responsibility for Agnew and Tavon Austin lol. Jacksonville doesn’t distinguishly use Jones or Shenault more than the previous aforementioned players. 

EDIT: RB1 Carlos Hyde too. 

Lawrence is genuinely the only 1st rd QB in this class whose performance I'm surprised by. He's been underwhelming to watch for the most part, supporting cast and offensive scheme notwithstanding.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I dont think its a feasible way to win in this day and age, even if you have an all time defense.  Its a passing league and there's no way getting around it.

1 minute ago, pheltzbahr said:

I dont think its a feasible way to win in this day and age, even if you have an all time defense.  Its a passing league and there's no way getting around it.

Meh. You can have one winning season with a dominant run game and solid defense. By year 3 he would’ve needed to have developed a strong passing attack to get his second deal or develop into a legit franchise guy for his franchise anyway.

My 120th time bringing this up but Jimmy G and Jared Goff made a super bowl. You do not need to be a juggernaut passing offense to make one run. That’s a sustainable success issue, but you can undisputedly have Mark Sanchez, Blake Bortles, Case Keenum lite guys take you to the playoffs at least once.

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Meh. You can have one winning season with a dominant run game and solid defense. By year 3 he would’ve needed to have developed a strong passing attack to get his second deal or develop into a legit franchise guy for his franchise anyway.

I think the most recent example of a team using this as a successful model is Tennessee, but King Henry is one of a kind.  There isn't really an example of a successful team with a "Running Back" QB that has had success for an entire season or a deep run in the post season.  Maybe Lamar or Kyler changes that, but they better hurry up or they'll find themselves as actual QBs or too old to run pretty soon.

1 minute ago, pheltzbahr said:

I think the most recent example of a team using this as a successful model is Tennessee, but King Henry is one of a kind.  There isn't really an example of a successful team with a "Running Back" QB that has had success for an entire season or a deep run in the post season.  Maybe Lamar or Kyler changes that, but they better hurry up or they'll find themselves as actual QBs or too old to run pretty soon.

Todd Gurley suffices as a super dominant player who you can put the game on. A Kyle Shanahan lite running game also suffices.

38 minutes ago, Blue said:

Lawrence is genuinely the only 1st rd QB in this class whose performance I'm surprised by. He's been underwhelming to watch for the most part, supporting cast and offensive scheme notwithstanding.

Gonna have to trade him away in the offseason

• Like 1