2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

That's not saying much.  Holcomb can replace him, but that means Bostic is still logging minutes that he shouldn't be.  

KPL, Holcomb and Bostic were our starters. So right now we have Holcomb and Hudson. That’s it, correct? 

Rivera talked about KPL glowingly in his recent press conference, it sounded a lot like they wanted to keep him around if they couldn’t upgrade at the WLB spot. 

This might be a good sign that they feel they’re in the mix for a better player.

Just now, e16bball said:

Rivera talked about KPL glowingly in his recent press conference, it sounded a lot like they wanted to keep him around if they couldn’t upgrade at the WLB spot. 

This might be a good sign that they feel they’re in the mix for a better player.

Lmao 

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

IMO Why RR approaches free agency the way he does. 
He has a lot of faith and belief in his coaching staff and believes he can take good players who are tough, love the game and have high character with something to prove and make them very good players. 

I mean, the guys had 3 winning seasons in 10 years as a head coach. I have no idea why he gets the pass he does or was so lauded when we hired him? 

• Like 2

Just now, ARTMONK HOF said:

IMO Why RR approaches free agency the way he does. 
He has a lot of faith and belief in his coaching staff and believes he can take good players who are tough, love the game and have high character with something to prove and make them very good players. 

I want to be clear- I don't have an issue with that.  It is very clear that during his time with the Panthers, he did not foray into free agency much.  Kalil and Paradis were the only free agents who cost $21 million or more.  Instead, they did a lot of smaller contracts like we did last off-season on reclamation projects and role/depth players.  The bulk of their money went to extending their own players.  

The problem is, that hasn't happened here yet except for Roullier.  Darby and KPL have departed day one of negotiating.  Scherff is on a franchise tag.  If they don't plan to sign anyone to a large contract, they can get an extension done with Jon Allen.  

Since I dissected Rivera's tenure in Carolina, I said last off-season that it was crazy to expect him to all of the sudden break his mold and give away big money contracts.  It's all about setting expectations for me.  But he's also got to start locking down our own guys.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I want to be clear- I don't have an issue with that.  It is very clear that during his time with the Panthers, he did not foray into free agency much.  Kalil and Paradis were the only free agents who cost $21 million or more.  Instead, they did a lot of smaller contracts like we did last off-season on reclamation projects and role/depth players.  The bulk of their money went to extending their own players.  

The problem is, that hasn't happened here yet except for Roullier.  Darby and KPL have departed day one of negotiating.  Scherff is on a franchise tag.  If they don't plan to sign anyone to a large contract, they can get an extension done with Jon Allen.  

Since I dissected Rivera's tenure in Carolina, I said last off-season that it was crazy to expect him to all of the sudden break his mold and give away big money contracts.  It's all about setting expectations for me.  But he's also got to start locking down our own guys.  

Very even-handed post. Though I don’t agree with forsaking FA, this would definitely feel a little more tolerable if we were doing more to keep our core group intact longer-term.

• Like 1

Just now, e16bball said:

Very even-handed post. Though I don’t agree with forsaking FA, this would definitely feel a little more tolerable if we were doing more to keep our core group intact longer-term.

And we could front-load some of those early extensions so that when it comes time for McLaurin, Sweat and Young to get extended, we've already weathered the worst of the cap space from Scherff, Allen, etc.  

I just don't see what the long-term strategy is here.  And quite honestly, I think we've got way too many people in Rivera's ear.  Three former GMs and a meddling owner.  

• Like 1

Truly think most of you all are over reacting right now. What are our positions of need the most?

WR- only one top guy has signed, that being Davis. Then you got less talented guys like Bourne and Agholor 

CB- as far as I’m concerned Darby is the only decent one who has signed with a team. Yeah he outplayed his contract but also was the first time he ever played a full 16. You can put another guy in his spot with the pressure we get up front

LB- yes this is a huge need but outside of Jayon is there really a bunch of guys we could target as a high profile guy? You could argue KJ Wright but he’s up there in age and isn’t what he used to be

FS- there’s been some safeties signed but this is a position we can get a bargain on with how saturated the market is with them. Not to mention mid rounds of the draft.

coll yalls Jets!

• Like 2

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

And we could front-load some of those early extensions so that when it comes time for McLaurin, Sweat and Young to get extended, we've already weathered the worst of the cap space from Scherff, Allen, etc.  

I just don't see what the long-term strategy is here.  And quite honestly, I think we've got way too many people in Rivera's ear.  Three former GMs and a meddling owner.  

Not just three former GMs. But three former very unsuccessful GMs. 

• Like 1