Mike Vrabel thread

deeluxx3

2020 was a failure on Vrabel as much as it was a failure on JRob, IMO

Obviously you cannot "predict" injuries, but we got zero from our draft class and even less from FAs. Some were hurt (Fulton, Evans, Clowney) and some didn't want to play football (Beasley, Wilson)

Vrabel struggles to coach-up otherwise average defensive talent. JRob failed to address pass rush and rolled the dice on young "leaders" (Byard, Evans) stepping up in that void left by the departures of Casey, Wood, Ryan. And they didn't.

Hopefully both were appropriately humbled by this season. As great as a division title and 11-5 look on paper, nobody with a clue could have watched this team from the Pitt game on and say "this is a team capable of winning the super bowl".

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

2020 was a failure on Vrabel as much as it was a failure on JRob, IMO

Obviously you cannot "predict" injuries, but we got zero from our draft class and even less from FAs. Some were hurt (Fulton, Evans, Clowney) and some didn't want to play football (Beasley, Wilson)

Vrabel struggles to coach-up otherwise average defensive talent. JRob failed to address pass rush and rolled the dice on young "leaders" (Byard, Evans) stepping up in that void left by the departures of Casey, Wood, Ryan. And they didn't.

Hopefully both were appropriately humbled by this season. As great as a division title and 11-5 look on paper, nobody with a clue could have watched this team from the Pitt game on and say "this is a team capable of winning the super bowl".

I don't know if I can say he struggles to coach up average defensive talent. 
We get a lot from lower round draft picks like Long, Brown..etc

Borders had his moments
Tart showed he can play in the league at some level.
Roberson.

Those guys come to mind.

The issue is getting these "superstars" to be consistent. 
Evans, Landry, Adoree, Byard and Simmons. Guys that should make plays every game but failed to do so more so this year. 

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I don't know if I can say he struggles to coach up average defensive talent. 
We get a lot from lower round draft picks like Long, Brown..etc

Borders had his moments
Tart showed he can play in the league at some level.
Roberson.

Those guys come to mind.

The issue is getting these "superstars" to be consistent. 
Evans, Landry, Adoree, Byard and Simmons. Guys that should make plays every game but failed to do so more so this year. 

I agree and I disagree

Long is a good player. A physical player. But limited and, if we're being honest with ourselves, not a guy you really want as a starter. That said, he certainly has performed well and I'll concede that he's an average talent that's been over-performing.

Disagree about Borders, Tart and Roberson. We've all gotten caught up in a couple "nice plays" both here and there. Roberson makes zero impact on football games. Tart had a couple nice run stuffs. I am pessimistic that he'll ever provide more. Borders had a couple decent games holding down the fort, but probably not even on the team next year.

I disagree with throwing Landry's name in the batch of Evans/Adoree/Byard/Simmons. I think we're all disappointed that Landry isn't the 12+ sack guy that he "could've been" coming out of college. But he's a very good football player...a better Derrick Morgan. Now, we certainly needed MORE than another Derrick Morgan. But at least he's out there producing...rushing the passer, playing the run, even dropping in coverage.

Adoree was rushed back. Never should've played this year.

Simmons needs more DL help. Teams rightfully key'd in on him. Even Aaron Donald needs help.

Evans/Byard....let the criticism roll baby

Him being the sole decision maker for so much of what the team does is a mistake.  I imagine if he wasn't trying to wear so many hats, we'd see some better decision-making.

Of course, with both the Texans game and the Ravens game, a lot of the blame for the bizarre decisions made falls on Arthur Smith as well.

Vrabel needs to hire a DC, a good DC, and needs to listen to them.  He's a good leader, but he's a garbage DC.  He was in Houston, and he was here.  If he isn't willing to change that, then it might be a problem going into next season.  I don't think anyone thinks he's on the hot seat at all, but if he continues to make the same mistakes, then that could change quickly.

Taking a look at his resume so far...

2018: 9-7 and lost win-and-in game against Indy with Blaine Gabbert as the starter

2019: 9-7 and AFCCG appearance

2020: 11-5 and division title *1st round playoff exit

Overall, I'm pleased with the results he's yielded as our HC.

The main issue I have with Vrabel is the main issue you will find with nearly any HC. Questionable decisions at end of games. The 4th and 2 last Sunday comes to mind as well as in the beginning of the 2018 (or 2019? I can't remember off the top of my head) season where he made a string of very questionable calls at the end of games. At the same time, he's shown he can also be brilliant in those situations (see the penalty to burn clock at the end of the NE game).

Also not naming a DC this year was incredibly stupid and there's no defending that.

But outside of those 2 things I really can't find much to complain about with him. He has great control of the locker room, he wins games that we are not expected to have a shot in (week 2 of 2018 vs Houston in which injuries had us depleted, the divisional win vs Baltimore last year, and week 5 vs Buffalo this year in which COVID depleted the roster all come to mind), he has 3 straight winning seasons, an AFCCG appearance, and a division title. Hard to complain about a guy like that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

Taking a look at his resume so far...

2018: 9-7 and lost win-and-in game against Indy with Blaine Gabbert as the starter

2019: 9-7 and AFCCG appearance

2020: 11-5 and division title *1st round playoff exit

Overall, I'm pleased with the results he's yielded as our HC.

The main issue I have with Vrabel is the main issue you will find with nearly any HC. Questionable decisions at end of games. The 4th and 2 last Sunday comes to mind as well as in the beginning of the 2018 (or 2019? I can't remember off the top of my head) season where he made a string of very questionable calls at the end of games. At the same time, he's shown he can also be brilliant in those situations (see the penalty to burn clock at the end of the NE game).

Also not naming a DC this year was incredibly stupid and there's no defending that.

But outside of those 2 things I really can't find much to complain about with him. He has great control of the locker room, he wins games that we are not expected to have a shot in (week 2 of 2018 vs Houston in which injuries had us depleted, the divisional win vs Baltimore last year, and week 5 vs Buffalo this year in which COVID depleted the roster all come to mind), he has 3 straight winning seasons, an AFCCG appearance, and a division title. Hard to complain about a guy like that.

Yeah. 

I truly don't believe he will be in hot water unless we have like a 3-4 win season next year.

Look at Pete Carroll with the Seahawks.

7-9 two seasons. Get Russell and find a formula winning seasons ever since. 
And not every season is "great" but they are winning.

I don't think we will fire another coach after winning like Murlakery, unless that coach refuses to make changes or address weaknesses.  Murlakery didn't want to fire Robiskie.
Will Murlakey sink on that same ship with Bowen?