Mike Vrabel thread

deeluxx3

Thread to praise/critique/complain about Vrabel

He was awful yesterday. But I still think he's a great HC and will lead us to the promised land one day.

Really, I was just looking for an excuse to post this. Really interesting hearing this from Cory Curtis (he sure isn't lying)

Funny I was coming here to say I think if next year goes bad, he will be on the hot seat.

This was year 3 of an 5 year deal if I'm not mistaken.

Next year will be year 4.

I think he must win at least a playoff game next year to be safe and/or win the division. 

The standards have be raised around here.

If we don't make the playoffs, I think he is fired.
If we have a repeat of this year (one and done) and Division winner, I think he is safe.
If we the defense underperforms again and he failed to make a DC change (Bowen is back) and we are one and done then he'll be on the hot seat entering the following year with the possibility of mid-season firing. 

Only way he isn't safe is if the defense underperforms again, we don't win the division AND one and done in playoffs.

They will let him coach out his deal and be lame duck, worst case scenario fired after next year if things just go nuclear and collapse. 

24 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Thread to praise/critique/complain about Vrabel

He was awful yesterday. But I still think he's a great HC and will lead us to the promised land one day.

Really, I was just looking for an excuse to post this. Really interesting hearing this from Cory Curtis (he sure isn't lying)

And yeah I saw this and wanted to comment too.
I mean not being liked by media or not giving informative press conferences aren't reasons to be fired. But tide can turn real quick on your public standing if you don't win or underperform and media dislikes you.

Old Billy in NE gives useless Press conferences, but he wins( used too).

Bottom line, he needs to not have an underperforming team. No way around it the defense underperformed and he was the main reason why. It all stopped with him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Funny I was coming here to say I think if next year goes bad, he will be on the hot seat.

This was year 3 of an 5 year deal if I'm not mistaken.

Next year will be year 4.

I think he must win at least a playoff game next year to be safe and/or win the division. 

The standards have be raised around here.

If we don't make the playoffs, I think he is fired.
If we have a repeat of this year (one and done) and Division winner, I think he is safe.
If we the defense underperforms again and he failed to make a DC change (Bowen is back) and we are one and done then he'll be on the hot seat entering the following year with the possibility of mid-season firing. 

Only way he isn't safe is if the defense underperforms again, we don't win the division AND one and done in playoffs.

They will let him coach out his deal and be lame duck, worst case scenario fired after next year if things just go nuclear and collapse. 

I don’t see him being gone if he doesn’t make the playoffs keep in mind Amy is calling the shots, & she’s a product of her dad Bud adams, a reason Bud kept Fisher so long was, he understood the importance of continuity. I think every yr he goes to the playoffs he buys himself 2 yrs. if he doesn’t make the playoffs next yr then the following season he may be on the hot seat depending on how bad of a season we had. 

Vrabel has always been like that with the media. I mean, we all remember his introductory press conference.  It’d be like complaining about Derrick Henry not being a pass catcher. We knew that from the jump.

As far as him being on the hot seat, I don’t see it unless he has a disaster of a season next year. For his flaws, he’s still won 60% of his games here, including a 2-2 playoff record. Plus Jon Robinson personally hired him, which has to mean something. Those two seemed to be joined at the hip. If Vrabel is on the hot seat, then I think Jon Robinson would equally be there which I don’t see at all.

Yea I think he has to get a win next year in the playoffs. I think we do need to set a higher standard here. I think that Cory is taking it a little too serious. Vrabel doesn’t give a bleep about the media. And I really don’t expect him to. Dude is taking it too serious.

The more I look at yesterday’s game, he did some things, but overall this one goes into one of his worst moments in pressure situations. If he has the the offense underperforming like he did and doesn’t decide to make proper adjustments in future playoff games, he has to be held accountable.

I believe he will change the DC this offseason. 

We need a leader on the sideline and on the field for that d.

We gotta add some names this offseason or I will lose hope. I think it is time to shake up this team on defense, we need to add a leader on the field. I believe that is what we are missing. We need to spend capital on the d. We need to do what the Bills did with the Diggs trade for our d. Find that guy that changes our d.

I want it to work with Vrabel, I hope he still has the locker room after a frustrating season end.

our front 7 for the majority of the year was just so uninspiring

Simmons was a star for the first 6 games but then disappeared. Certainly was getting more attention 

daquan had a really quiet year. Filled his role but nothing more. 

crawford is a rotational guy. So is tait. Dickerson is terrible.

Rashaan is bad. Bad. 
jayon was playing better but then got hurt. Long is a solid player but undersized and not great in coverage. Gets exposed at times

Landry honestly had a great year and did everything asked of him. He moves around and plays everywhere with hustle 

Ray/Skipper/Roberson/Reed ... at the end of the day, not guys that should be getting significant snaps

The talent that is there largely underproduced (large part on coaching) but I think we just need better players on DL and edge. The productivity just isn’t there. Losing Clowney hurt more than we want to admit. 

coaching is a big part of it. Rashaan’s performance is disappointing. We need a vet pass rusher (we should try and get a deal with Clowney imo) and a vet ILB that is a pad popper

his work with the defense this year was bad enough, but if he doesn't get over this conservative, stone-age, run-run-pass punt crap he reverts to in the playoffs, we're not winning a damn thing with him. this is likely going to be a pretty different looking team next year and there's plenty of opportunity for regression with a tough schedule and the division getting stronger. lots of personnel and coaching staff decisions to be made and, well, he better get them right. if we miss the playoffs next year i suspect fans will be calling for his head.

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

his work with the defense this year was bad enough, but if he doesn't get over this conservative, stone-age, run-run-pass punt crap he reverts to in the playoffs, we're not winning a damn thing with him. this is likely going to be a pretty different looking team next year and there's plenty of opportunity for regression with a tough schedule and the division getting stronger. lots of personnel and coaching staff decisions to be made and, well, he better get them right. if we miss the playoffs next year i suspect fans will be calling for his head.

I understand your frustration but he’s a winning coach he’s far from on the hot seat, for him to end up on the hot seat we must lose 9-10 games next yr. he isn’t a bad coach just stubborn & stuck in his ways. That part reminds me of Fisher. Hopefully this humbled him 

9 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I understand your frustration but he’s a winning coach he’s far from on the hot seat, for him to end up on the hot seat we must lose 9-10 games next yr. he isn’t a bad coach just stubborn & stuck in his ways. That part reminds me of Fisher. Hopefully this humbled him 

don't get me wrong, i don't think he's a bad coach either. i'm just saying- the expectation with the talent on this roster is that we're a playoff team competing for AFCS championships and, if we make the right moves, making deep playoff runs. if we don't meet that expectation, his approval is going to sink pretty quickly, like it or not.

I’m in no hurry to get rid of Vrabel 

There are a lot of suck bag coaches in this league and a lot that get over looked

He is stubborn and does make mistakes but all coaches do

Ill get worried once he starts losing the locker room 

This year I was starting to get worried about that a little bit on the defensive side of the ball because the lack of a real DC

If he goes out and makes the right moves the locker room will be fine 

The Titans never made the playoffs 3 straight seasons before and he has a chance to do that next season 

Titans schedule is tougher next year and we have a lot of work to do but I’m confident in Vrabel overall 

But this year will be a big year for the longevity of this run

He could be losing an OC, needs a DC, has to fill a lot of holes, needs to definitely hit on this years draft and find a way to at-least get something out of Fulton and Evans next year 

Cant wait to see what he’s going to do though but I’m still on the Vrabel train 

25 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

At worst I think he will be a lame duck coach going into year 5 honestly. 

But like any coach if the bottom falls out, you can't say his seat won't be hot. 

I don't see it falling out. At worst I think we will be back in the 8-8,. 9-7 range. 

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I mean not being liked by media or not giving informative press conferences aren't reasons to be fired. But tide can turn real quick on your public standing if you don't win or underperform and media dislikes you.

Bottom line, he needs to not have an underperforming team. No way around it the defense underperformed and he was the main reason why. It all stopped with him. 

I've always felt like this was a big reason why Fish was able to hang around as long as he did after so many underperforming seasons. Local media LOVED him (hell we all still love him here locally lol) but I think not being liked by the local media can really hinder a coach's chances of sticking around through a couple of subpar seasons if things start to turn. The media is naturally more apologetic in their writing of a coach that is good to them Vs a coach that treats them like inferior. That's just human nature, and if we start struggling I think Vrabel's attitude towards the media is going to ultimately hurt his chances of sticking around in a down season. 

5 hours ago, KingTitan said:

yeah, didn't catch this post earlier but this is exactly what i meant when i said people will turn on him real quick if there's regression next year. media and some fans are already fed up with his demeanor....if we go 7-9, 8-8 etc it could get ugly. not even saying it's right necessarily, but i would fully expect that to happen.

Edited by -Hope-

I think Vrabel is fine as a head coach and can lead us to where we want to go.

However, it won't happen so long as he is pig headed and stubborn on the defense.

Him saying he didn't realize not having a DC in title would become a thing is either one of two things. Stubborness or stupidity and not sure which is worse in that case. To me it felt like a total cop out and a lack of accountability for the trash defense that was out there week in and week out.

He needs to stop sheltering his buddies and hire a real DC and have the title be public. This whole year was complete nonsense with how it was handled and that falls squarely on Vrabel.

• Like 1