The Future of the Jaguars - City Developments & News

.Buzz

14 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

So what the heck does this all mean?

Phase 1 of the plan includes getting the first 5 star hotel into Jacksonville, in a building that will also provide residential housing, as well as modernizing and renovating the marina area. The big part for the Jaguars is the football performance center that will be state of the art. And they plan to turn over the Flex Field that they currently practice on to be public access. The Jags also plan to adopt Met Park to make sure that it stays a nice park and cover all maintenance costs. Phase 1 estimated cost is $321M. The Sports Performance Center estimate is $120M of that total, and the Jaguars want to cover half, the entirety of any costs overrun, as well as maintenance and upgrade fees over the course of the lease.

The big part of phase 2 is the building of a huge Orthopedic Sports Medicine Complex that'll be accessible by anyone who needs treatment and services, and have a shopping mall at ground level built in. 

W4mrgJ1.jpg

I'm not overly familiar with the area, but I think Lot J is being shelved for the time being with nothing going there *yet*.

https://1stdowntownjacksonville.com has a bunch of renders of the plan and some more details. As well as the page having a current overview shot of the area for those like me who don't know exactly what it looks like now. 

The team also indicated that they prefer to do renovations to the stadium, rather than build a new stadium, which they estimate would save $500-600M on the project over building new. They're still working on the long term plans for that.

17 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So not something you’d do if we were moving to London

Yeah, its clear Shad’s intention is to build up the city and it shouldn’t be viewed as a situation where the team wants to move. However, at some point we gotta see this stuff actually get passed and begin actual development or that can change. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

The main thing that's hilarious to me, is the "renderings" of the Hotel/Residential/Business bloc, where it's just like entirely glass, and within, is a sweet copy/paste of like a hundred different busy open concept commercial office space mock ups.

I get what they're going for, with the whole "Cruise Ship" motif.  That's cool, and seems fitting.  But the whole project still seems very early drafts of how it's actually supposed to work.  Also won't end up looking anything like that at all.  Aside from some form of the "cruise liner decks" concept probably.

Edited by Tugboat

On 6/3/2021 at 5:56 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So not something you’d do if we were moving to London

It still seems like something that someone might still do, even if they were going to move the team to London to me.  Upgrading the football facilities is still beneficial in other terms.  The rest of the real estate stuff in there, is still just about trying to bump up the value of other private holdings.  If you can make "luxury district" happen, that's a boon for a billionaire investor whether the team is there or not.