Jrry32 First Mock Off-Season (1/17/21)

jrry32

Well, I don't start working on these until after we lose in the playoffs. With all the uncertainty over the cap, it's hard for me to really know what's possible until we get a number. I haven't evaluated many draft prospects yet, so expect plenty of change there over the next few months. I think it's going to be very hard for us to keep Leonard Floyd and JJIII. Also, I hope McVay fires Bonamego.

Departing Free Agents

OLB Leonard Floyd

SS John Johnson III

CB Troy Hill

OL Austin Blythe

HB Malcolm Brown

TE Gerald Everett

WR Josh Reynolds

DL Morgan Fox

OLB Samson Ebukam

Resignings

LS Jake McQuaide

CB Darious Williams

ILB Travin Howard

OL Coleman Shelton

TE Johnny Mundt

Trades

Rams trade LT Joseph Noteboom

Chargers trade Round 5 Pick #14

We're in a bit of a pickle. Noteboom is a FA after 2021, and Whit is returning. Noteboom has shown he has the pass blocking ability to be a serviceable LT, but it's hard to commit to him without a year of film. Ultimately, the Chargers have a need at LT with Sam Tevi (an underwhelming player) hitting FA. They get a year to evaluate Noteboom to determine whether or not to stick with him. 

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #24 and Round 3 Pick #38

Lions trade Round 3 Pick #8 and Round 5 Pick #9

We trade up for a player we're targeting using our third and our comp pick for Fowler.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #40

Vikings trade Round 4 Pick #14 and Round 4 Pick #38

We trade down from our Holmes comp pick. Vikings have a handful of fourths, so they use two to move up into the third round.

Rams trade Round 4 Pick #37

Jaguars trade QB Gardner Minshew

We need a guy behind Goff who is capable of coming in and starting if Goff has another rough stretch of games next year. Minshew will put some pressure on Jared, and I think he's a guy capable of starting in this system. He's also a much more mobile QB than Goff and more capable of improvisation, so he offers a nice change of pace if Goff does get benched or injured. The nice thing is that he's also cheap and a high-quality backup. He reminds me a lot of Fitzmagic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZmKbf29wc4

Free Agency

1184069052.jpg.0.jpg

Larry Warford OL

After Warford sat out the year, I am hoping we can get him on a reasonable one year deal. I think we all recognized this season that the OL is missing something. Warford went to three straight Pro Bowls before sitting out 2020. Having him step in at RG (kicking Corbett inside to C) should improve the OL as a whole. Plus, he won't cost us in the comp pick formula.

gkq43vxeyum2zqyceu9m

Benardrick McKinney ILB

Coming off a season-ending shoulder injury as a guy with scheme limitations, I am hopeful we can also land McKinney on a reasonable one year deal. The Texans look like they'll be cutting some guys to open up cap this off-season, and McKinney is one guy who could find himself on the chopping block. I think he's a great fit in Staley's scheme as a massive man (6'4" 255 pounds) who specializes in stopping the run and is solid in zone coverage (but has limitations in man to man).

eqybj2n0cci4dcffgj2f.jpg

Tyus Bowser OLB

I think Bowser could be one of the steals of the off-season. He's a very athletic edge defender who has been stuck behind talented players in the Ravens' rotation. When he has played, he has shown flashes. He's very adept dropping into coverage and has the speed and agility to be a major threat off the edge and on the stunts we use up front. I really like his fit in Staley's scheme and think he'll prove to be a heck of bargain if we sign him.

NFL Draft

Round 2 Pick #25 - Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcuCcr59oOA

Analysis: It's hard to say which OT could fall to us. Eichenberg is projected on Day 2 right now, but he could rise during the process. He's a well-rounded player who is good at just about everything but lacks elite traits. He's well coached, smart, and experienced. However, he lacks the top-shelf athleticism you usually see in a first round OT. Just a very solid player. I would compare him to Riley Reiff.

Round 3 Pick #8 - Chris Rumph II OLB/ILB Duke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJSWt8KC9s

Analysis: Rumph's father is currently the Texans' OLB Coach and previously was DL Coach at programs like Alabama, Florida, and Texas. Unsurprisingly, Rumph is a technically proficient player who possesses great football IQ and instincts. Duke has used him as both an off-the-ball LB and an edge rusher. At 6'3" 235, he seems small to play on the edge in the NFL, but I think he can do it. If he was bigger, he'd be a first round pick. Great burst off the ball, can flatten around the corner, quick-twitch athleticism, and a diverse set of pass rush moves. Kid has the athleticism, instincts, and zone cover skills to play ILB and the pass rush ability to play OLB. I think Staley would love having a chess piece like Rumph. Long term, I think he can be an impactful 3-4 OLB. Boston College has an OL with multiple future NFL players on it, and he gave them the business.

Round 4 Pick #14 - Cornell Powell WR Clemson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMKQYMWbt-g

Analysis: I found myself looking into the guys seen as the top deep threats in this class who will be available in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and I liked some. Tamorrion Terry, for example, is a freak athlete. But I ended up pulling the trigger on Powell over them. Why? None of the deep threats had consistent hands. Powell isn't a burner, but he can get vertical. Most significantly, he offers the all around skill-set, reliable hands, YAC skills, and blocking ability that McVay values in WRs. 

Round 4 Pick #38 - Tommy Tremble TE/FB Notre Dame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuc67qgSWyw

Analysis: Anybody else tired of watching Everett get blown off the ball or whiff on blocks on running plays? I know I am. Tommy Tremble has some upside as a receiving TE, but that's not where he's going to make his money. This kid is a punishing blocker. He can lead block as a FB. He can also align on the LOS as a TE and blow defenders off the ball. He's the sort of kid whose value will never be measured by the box score. Cam Akers will love him. He's a freaking dog!

Round 5 Pick #9 - Grant Stuard ILB Houston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJH_5gpjNac

Analysis: First and foremost, Stuard is going to absolutely bring it back on special teams. He's a hard hitting LB who can absolutely fly. I love the idea of him on our coverage unit. But in addition to that, we need some more speed at ILB. I don't know that Stuard will make an impact on defense as a rookie, but he has the speed, quick-twitch athleticism, instincts, nonstop motor, and physicality to be a good weakside LB in the future. 

Round 5 Pick #14 - Kylin Hill HB Mississippi State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkuJsesGXs

Analysis: Hill is a well-rounded physical runner who has sneaky speed. He had a great career in the SEC at Mississippi State and proved that he could contribute as a rusher, receiver, and blocker. He isn't overly dynamic, but he has the speed to break runs when he's given a seam, can churn out yardage after contact due to his powerful lower half, leg drive, and contact balance, and has the quickness to get open as a route runner. Seems like a good kid to develop behind Akers and Hendo.

Round 6 Pick #25 - Avery Williams CB/RS Boise State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEsagcLrjtc

Analysis: I'm very serious about fixing the special teams. Speaking strictly as a CB prospect, Williams is a kid who has the goods to fight for a roster spot and should provide depth there. He's undersized at 5'9" 195, but he's physical, competes hard, and can be quite sticky in coverage. But his greatest value comes as a special teams terror. He returned 6 punts for TDs and 3 kickoffs for TDs in his career at Boise State. He also blocked multiple punts during his time there. This kid is a dynamic returner.

Round 7 Pick #25 - Brady Breeze S Oregon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gddfC18V9m8

Analysis: This is another move that will bolster our special teams. But Breeze also fits the Staley defense well. He's a smart, disciplined player who lacks the athleticism to handle much man to man coverage. He tackles well in space, hits hard, is always where he's supposed to be, and should be quite good in our split safety looks. As a special teamer, he will be another hard hitter who tackles reliably and plays like his hair is on fire whenever he's on the field.

Projected Depth Chart

QB: Jared Goff

HB: Cam Akers

WR: Robert Woods

WR: Cooper Kupp

WR: Van Jefferson

TE: Tyler Higbee

LT: Andrew Whitworth

LG: David Edwards

C. Austin Corbett

RG: Larry Warford

RT: Rob Havenstein

DE: Michael Brockers

NT: Sebastian Joseph-Day

DE: Aaron Donald

OLB: Tyus Bowser

ILB: Benardrick McKinney

ILB: Troy Reeder

OLB: Terrell Lewis

CB: Jalen Ramsey

CB: Darious Williams

CB: David Long Jr. vs. Terrell Burgess

FS: Jordan Fuller

SS: Terrell Burgess vs. Taylor Rapp

K: Matt Gay

P: Johnny Hekker

LS: Jake McQuaide

KR: Avery Williams

PR: Avery Williams

And right as I finished this up, the news that Staley was hired elsewhere leaked. Well, **** it. I'm posting it anyways. I put a lot of work into this lol. We'll see if the new DC is going to have a drastically different scheme.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

I like it a lot! And damn you I have one started for the other site and thought you'd go with Tamorrion so I was going to add Powell! I probably would have added a Guard instead of the TE/FB with us having added a TE each of the last two years. We get the impression McVay and/or Kromer don't want to start rookies so adding a guy this year to move forward with starting in 2022 makes a lot of sense especially with more free agents then. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

I like it a lot! And damn you I have one started for the other site and thought you'd go with Tamorrion so I was going to add Powell! I probably would have added a Guard instead of the TE/FB with us having added a TE each of the last two years. We get the impression McVay and/or Kromer don't want to start rookies so adding a guy this year to move forward with starting in 2022 makes a lot of sense especially with more free agents then. 

I thought about an OG, but I don't see a realistic spot for one right now. Most teams only carry 9 OLs. With Eichenberg, we have:

1. Whit

2. Edwards

3. Corbett

4. Warford

5. Hav

6. Eichenberg

7. Anchrum

8. Evans

9. Brewer

I also am probably higher on Chandler Brewer than most. And odds are we'd probably keep Allen or Shelton so we have a backup Center (which is 10). As for Tremble, I know I can't be the only one who is tired of seeing running plays with massive holes get blown up because the #2 TE fails to execute his block. Tremble is a monster run blocker, and he's especially dominant when you have him lead block. McVay loves to bring a guy in motion to lead block on running plays. I think Tremble would have a massive impact for us next year as a blocker.

On Terry, I love his athleticism and deep speed, but his hand technique is so terrible. It frustrates that hell out of me. Kid has the athleticism to be a dominant WR in the intermediate and deep ranges, but he has to learn how to catch the damn ball lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I thought about an OG, but I don't see a realistic spot for one right now. Most teams only carry 9 OLs. With Eichenberg, we have:

1. Whit

2. Edwards

3. Corbett

4. Warford

5. Hav

6. Eichenberg

7. Anchrum

8. Evans

9. Brewer

I also am probably higher on Chandler Brewer than most. And odds are we'd probably keep Allen or Shelton so we have a backup Center (which is 10). As for Tremble, I know I can't be the only one who is tired of seeing running plays with massive holes get blown up because the #2 TE fails to execute his block. Tremble is a monster run blocker, and he's especially dominant when you have him lead block. McVay loves to bring a guy in motion to lead block on running plays. I think Tremble would have a massive impact for us next year as a blocker.

On Terry, I love his athleticism and deep speed, but his hand technique is so terrible. It frustrates that hell out of me. Kid has the athleticism to be a dominant WR in the intermediate and deep ranges, but he has to learn how to catch the damn ball lol.

The two I would suggest for a draft pick Guard would be the bottom 2 listed there Evans and Brewer. Evans we know is limited and we saw it yesterday plus save a couple hundred thousand cap space with a day 2 pick. Brewer I love the story but can we upgrade? I get you on the rest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

The two I would suggest for a draft pick Guard would be the bottom 2 listed there Evans and Brewer. Evans we know is limited and we saw it yesterday plus save a couple hundred thousand cap space with a day 2 pick. Brewer I love the story but can we upgrade? I get you on the rest. 

Yes and no. That was Evans's first start at OG in his career (that I can remember). And he did so against a front that uses a lot of deception and has a lot of talent. I don't think it's fair to write him off based on such a difficult situation. Plus, he's under contract for two more years fairly cheaply. I'd wait until next year to start looking for his replacement. He's good depth imo, and we have limited resources.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yes and no. That was Evans's first start at OG in his career (that I can remember). And he did so against a front that uses a lot of deception and has a lot of talent. I don't think it's fair to write him off based on such a difficult situation. Plus, he's under contract for two more years fairly cheaply. I'd wait until next year to start looking for his replacement. He's good depth imo, and we have limited resources.

Then just a thought, don't sign Wolford (besides the fact we may not have cap for him) and start Evans? Just spit balling while drinking some Christmas present bourbon :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Then just a thought, don't sign Wolford (besides the fact we may not have cap for him) and start Evans? Just spit balling while drinking some Christmas present bourbon :D 

That was what I was thinking until the GB game. But I'm not willing to take that risk at this point. I won't write Evans off, but I'm also not going to bet Goff's season on Evans being a more reliable pass blocker. We need to have the interior OL sorted if we want to give Goff the best opportunity to thrive next year. Warford is a risk due to him sitting the year out, so obviously, we'd have to gauge his fitness before signing the contract, but if he is fit, the man is a very good OG. Basically, it's like getting Saffold back. With Corbett's power at Center, I could see our running game going hog wild.

• Like 1

I really like the idea of a FB. We tried to use Everett in that role but it was never as effective as I'd like. 

I didn't follow college football much this year. I'm hoping the guys we bring in on OL aren't soft. So many teams killed our pocket with a 4 man bull rush. Honestly, just changing Blythe might fix that. 

I'd like getting Minshew much more than a day 2 pick but I'm not even sure I like that. I don't like half measures at the QB position and I don't see the ceiling for Minshew. Maybe you do. If we decide Goff isn't the guy then I would want to bring in someone with elite traits. Likely through the draft with a trade up in 2022. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Rams trade Round 4 Pick #37

Jaguars trade QB Gardner Minshew

I know we started this conversation elsewhere, and while I’ve come around to likening this idea for a move, I’m just not sure McVay signs on for something like this. I don’t see it with Wolford, to me he’s a fun little gadget 3rd QB, but Sean seems to think he can make some magic with him. And while Minshew is a better version, no debate there, I could see McVay being so headstrong that he says “why give up an asset for something I already have”

The other pickups are very solid, it will all just come down to who is available and doesn’t have their market driven up like crazy, because even in a flat Cap situation, we’ve only got so much room with having to RFA tag Williams and Gay I believe. 

Ive also been eyeing up Powell as a deep threat option. Really liked what I have seen on him in the last half of this season, especially in the Semi Final game. And he could be in range of our picks due to the years on him. 

Also 100% sign me up for bringing a good H-Back/FB in. Look what the Ravens have been doing with Ricard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I really like the idea of a FB. We tried to use Everett in that role but it was never as effective as I'd like. 

I didn't follow college football much this year. I'm hoping the guys we bring in on OL aren't soft. So many teams killed our pocket with a 4 man bull rush. Honestly, just changing Blythe might fix that. 

I'd like getting Minshew much more than a day 2 pick but I'm not even sure I like that. I don't like half measures at the QB position and I don't see the ceiling for Minshew. Maybe you do. If we decide Goff isn't the guy then I would want to bring in someone with elite traits. Likely through the draft with a trade up in 2022. 

Minshew is more about having an option if Goff has a mental implosion. I think of him like Ryan Fitzpatrick. He can start for you and create some magic, but he's probably not a franchise QB. Still, he brings a different skillset to the table and did decently in Jacksonville in much worse circumstances. Plus, he'd be a very cheap backup QB for the next two years.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I know we started this conversation elsewhere, and while I’ve come around to likening this idea for a move, I’m just not sure McVay signs on for something like this. I don’t see it with Wolford, to me he’s a fun little gadget 3rd QB, but Sean seems to think he can make some magic with him. And while Minshew is a better version, no debate there, I could see McVay being so headstrong that he says “why give up an asset for something I already have”

The other pickups are very solid, it will all just come down to who is available and doesn’t have their market driven up like crazy, because even in a flat Cap situation, we’ve only got so much room with having to RFA tag Williams and Gay I believe. 

Ive also been eyeing up Powell as a deep threat option. Really liked what I have seen on him in the last half of this season, especially in the Semi Final game. And he could be in range of our picks due to the years on him. 

Also 100% sign me up for bringing a good H-Back/FB in. Look what the Ravens have been doing with Ricard.

Gay is under contract in 2021 (we signed him for two years). On money, I think we'll be pushing money into future years expecting a cap spike due to the new TV deals coming around the bend. It won't create unlimited amounts of money, but it'll create enough for us to shore up our roster in the needed areas.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Minshew is more about having an option if Goff has a mental implosion. I think of him like Ryan Fitzpatrick. He can start for you and create some magic, but he's probably not a franchise QB. Still, he brings a different skillset to the table and did decently in Jacksonville in much worse circumstances. Plus, he'd be a very cheap backup QB for the next two years.

I doubt the Rams look at it this way but if Goff does have a mental implosion, I'm fine to keep trotting him out there or play Wolford. It would allow a higher 2021 pick. I don't think that would happen but just getting a guy that can keep the course for a 8 or so win season isn't what I'd spend for. But, I know the Rams won't think like that. 

On 1/17/2021 at 9:47 PM, jrry32 said:

Larry Warford OL

After Warford sat out the year, I am hoping we can get him on a reasonable one year deal. I think we all recognized this season that the OL is missing something. Warford went to three straight Pro Bowls before sitting out 2020. Having him step in at RG (kicking Corbett inside to C) should improve the OL as a whole. Plus, he won't cost us in the comp pick formula.

I’m reading back through this, and man assuming he hasn’t let himself go, Warford might be the exact thing this OL needs. I’m not sure we’re going to see Pro Bowl level, but even just under that would allow Rob to not worry so much about who’s next to him. And I am with you as well that Corbett should be better at Center, although not sure he’s a long term solution, he would do for now. 

If I’m looking in the draft, Vera-Tucker would be a great fit, but will likely be long gone, and the absolute best fit for me is Wyatt Davis. If he slips even alittle, I would give up a good chunk to grab him.

Later in the draft, Trey Hill from Georgia is an alright option. I like what Tyler Vrabel from BC could be (although I wish Lindstrom came out). And as far as projects Hutcherson from South Carolina is a guy I’ve looked at. David Moore out of Grambling is a name that will rise, and in a more long term I think Alaric Jackson might be something. 

• Like 1