The Eagles Injury Update Thread

Phire

Despite Doug saying he's a game time decision if he's not taking reps with the starters, then I think its safe to say he probably isn't playing this week.

It's good to hear he had a good week of practice and is getting close though. We should almost certainly see him back in a couple weeks for the game in Dallas after the bye.

PHILADELPHIA -- Brandon Brooks knows serious injuries can thrust NFL players into isolation, and the Eagles' standout offensive guard said that shouldn't happen to Jason Peters. Not to a nine-time Pro Bowler. Not to a team captain. Not to a 35-year-old left tackle whose dominance and calmness have steadied an organization for nearly a decade.

So Brooks and practice squad offensive tackle Dillon Gordon decided not to go home after Sunday's 33-10 win over the 49ers, the Eagles' first game since an MRI confirmed Peters' season-ending torn ACL.  

They instead made a 45-minute trek to Peters' house in New Jersey.

"A lot of times when you're injured, man, you're not around and people don't treat you the same," Brooks said. "People aren't sending you texts and joking with you, because they don't see you as much. It's like an out of sight, out of mind type of deal. I just wanted to let him know, 'We still got. You're still with us.'"

Peters was two days removed from surgery when his teammates came over, so he couldn't move around much. Brooks said the 328-pound veteran lounged in a chair with a brace on his knee, but he enjoyed talking with his visitors.

One of Peters' friends from his home state of Texas jointed the three NFL players to hang out, Brooks said. They flicked on the Sunday Night Football game between the Steelers and Lions and ordered pizza -- thin crust from Domino's, at Peters' insistence.

"He's a thin crust guy," Brooks said. "It was good. I'm not a thin-crust guy, but it was good. Thin crust, get a little extra crisp in there."

While Peters took on his typical role of mentor and offered his teammates a few tips, the group spent more time focusing on the Steelers' win over the Lions as they munched on pepperoni and sausage slices. More in-depth conversation on blocking schemes and the assignments the Eagles missed in a victory over the 49ers could wait.

Brooks said Peters also didn't need to explain the pain he felt when he suffered his injury Oct. 23 or outline the recovery process, either. As NFL players, Brooks and Gordon already knew the obstacles in front of the 14-year professional. Not much needed to be said.

"We know what it is, we know what the rehab is," Brooks said. "In this game, two things people don't realize that we're really aware of is taxes -- dudes know the tax code pretty well, obviously, having to file in different states -- and then injuries, because you're around it so much."

Brooks and Gordon's trip to New Jersey to see Peters was more about offering support to a player they look up to than talking specifics. And in turn, Peters jolted Brooks with encouragement and an upbeat attitude.

The longtime anchor of Philadelphia's offensive line has a nearly year-long recovery process in front of him, and after that, Peters will face daunting decisions. His accomplished career could be in jeopardy. He might never suit up for the Birds again.

But according to Brooks, none of that was on Peters' mind as he polished off the thin crust and chatted with his friends.

"With injuries, man, sometimes it affects guys' moods," Brooks said. "With him, it's the same JP."

This is pretty cool and felt it should go in this thread since its regarding an injury.

I like that Peters is in good spirits and still trying to help in any capacity.

And, man.... I love Brandon Brooks. Dude doesn't get enough love himself. 

He's been a really good guard for us ever since we got him and absolutely solidified the right side of the o-line.

I'm not sure if you guys remember, but when he signed here he really embraced the fans and city in a big way.

Here is an article on him embracing Philly.

He also earlier this year went to a fans wedding. Dude is just a great guy. 

Probably my favorite free agency signing since Jenkins.

Archived