Pick one player to resign of these two

offbyone

Pick one player to resign of these two  

14 members have voted

1. 1. You can only resign one of these two players, pick one

• Jonathan Allen
    • Brandon Scherff

54 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I get the sense a lot of people feel like, "If we are going to lose a player on the Dline it should be Allen."  The issue with that is you have no idea if the other guys will even want to stay or they could have career ending injuries, etc.  The only way to keep the band together is to start with Allen.  

I also think what's lost is that Jon Allen has been the leader of the DL essentially since we drafted him. On top of that yes, Allen is our 2nd best interior pass rusher behind a healthy Ioannidis and the 2nd best run defender behind Daron Payne, but when you put those two together he's our best all around interior DL. Allen only had 3 less run stops that Payne had last year. Allen also was one of the tops in the NFL in interior pass rush pressures. I think people are underselling what Jon Allen means to this defense. 

The bottom line is that both Jon Allen and Scherff are very important to their units and thus very important to the offense and defense and the team as a whole. I would re-sign both players this March and it would be a top priority of mine if I was the GM. Re-signing them would be more important than signing a FA #2 WR or MLB upgrade and just as important as upgrading the QB position or re-signing Darby.

4 minutes ago, TKellion said:

You left out option 3,None of the above.That is my choice.as stated by others Allen isnt all that.Scherff is just injured to much.Let them sign elsewhere and collect the comp picks.

I mostly agree-cept like someone pointed out, our own spending spree to be will offset any comp picks.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I mostly agree-cept like someone pointed out, our own spending spree to be will offset any comp picks.

Even so, it’s very unlikely a 3rd round comp pick is going to be an All-Pro or pro bowl caliber player like Jon Allen & Scherff. We have the cap space, I don’t understand why we wouldn’t keep both. Worry about if you what to re-sign Ioannidis or Payne in 2023 when they become free agents, but that’s not today’s problem.