My mock offseason v1.0

paul-mac

Let me preface this that I am projecting a salary cap of $180m. This implies we have $19.9m in cap space going in.

Cuts: 

CB AJ Bouye ($13.2m)

DE Jurell Casey ($11.9m)

TE Nick Vannett ($2.7m)

QB Jeff Driskell ($2.5m)

Total saving: $30.3m (Cap room: $50.2m)

This leaves $41.2m to spend on FA/trades ($9m rookie reserve)

Restricted FA's:

WR Tim Patrick: 2nd round tender

RB Phillip Lindsay: 2nd round tender

ILB Alexander Johnson: 2nd round tender

All $3.25m (Leaves $31.45m cap space)

Trades:

Broncos receive: QB Sam Darnold ($10m cap hit)

Jets receive: OLB Von Miller ($18m cap saving), 2021 3rd round pick

- Denver trades Miller instead of cutting him, adding the former #3 overall pick to battle Lock. The hope is that Darnold will be the next Ryan Tannehill.

Free agency:

After the trade we enter FA with $39.45m cap space. Mostly this will be used to re-sign existing assets.

FS Justin Simmons, 5 years $75m, $15m AAV

Simmons becomes the highest paid safety in the NFL. Getting him tied down to a long term deal will be the most important task facing new GM George Paton this offseason.

CB Xavier Rhodes 3 years $30m, $10m AAV

Paton brings in a familiar face to replace Bouye. Rhodes proved himself on a one year deal with the Colts,

DE Shelby Harris, 3 years $18m, $6m AAV

After years of playing on prove-it deals, Harris finally earns some security.

CB De'Vante Bausby, 1 year $1.5m

SS Will Parks, 1 year $1.5m

FS Trey Marshall, 1 year $1m

Cheap secondary depth x3

DE/OLB Tyus Bowser, 1 year $2m

Prove it deal for the former second round pick as the Broncos start the process of rebuilding the EDGE room into the post Von Miller era. 

Draft:

Round 1 (9 overall) - Gregory Rousseau, OLB, Miami

With Von Miller out of the building, the Broncos draft the best natural pass rusher in the draft.

Round 2 (40 overall) - Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama

Ja'Wuan James is under contract for 2021 and would carry a $15m dead cap hit, so he will be back, but he cannot be replied upon. Leatherwood provides insurance at Right Tackle and could be groomed to start in 2022 when James's contract is much easier to cut.

Round 3 (71 overall) - TRADED TO THE JETS IN MILLER/DARNOLD TRADE

Round 4 - Chuba Hubbard, RB, Oklahoma State

Hubbard is raw and needs work, but our top three RBs are all in contract years so it makes sense to bring in a younger option.

Round 5 - Bobby Brown, NT, Texas A&M

I've stopped at 5 rounds because this is an all time terrible draft class in the later rounds due to extra eligibility because of Covid, so I'm assuming our 6th and 7th rounders won't even make the team.

Roster:

QB: Sam Darnold, Drew Lock, Brett Rypien

RB: Melvin Gordon, Phillip Lindsay, Royce Freeman, Chuba Hubbard

WR: Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick

WR: Jerry Jeudy, Dae'Sean Hamilton

Slot: KJ Hamler, Diontae Spencer

TE: Noah Fant, Albert Okwuegbunam, Andrew Beck

LT: Garett Bolles, Calvin Anderson

LG: Dalton Risner, Netane Muti

Center: Lloyd Cushenberry III, Austin Schlottmann

RG: Graham Glasgow

RT: Ja'Wuan James, Alex Leatherwood

DE: Shelby Harris, McTelvin Agim

NT: Mike Purcell, Bobby Brown

DE: Dre'Mont Jones, De'Shawn Williams

OLB: Bradley Chubb, Malik Reed, Derrick Tuszka

ILB: Alexander Johnson, Justin Strnad

ILB: Josey Jewell, Josh Watson

OLB: Gregory Rousseau, Tyus Bowser

CB: Xavier Rhodes, Parnell Motley

CB: Michael Ojemudia, De'Vante Bausby

Nickel: Bryce Callahan, Essang Bassey

FS: Justin Simmons, Trey Marshall

SS: Kareem Jackson, Will Parks

K: Brandon McManus

P: Sam Martin

LS: Jacob Bobenmoyer

Would not mind that trade, even though I expect a lot of people will not want to lose Miller. I don't know that it could actually happen, but I'd gamble on Darnold for sure. Also like the Rhodes signing in FA- he's one to watch for me this offseason as I would think Paton's familiarity with him means he's on our radar.

As for the draft, I am personally not a huge fan. I don't like Rousseau at 9. He's incredibly raw- he's only got one season of tape after his opt out this year, and he's going to need a ton of development. If we're going to take someone at the DE/OLB spot, I'd rather have Kwity Paye than Rousseau.

I could live with Leatherwood in R2. Another guy who needs some work, but as you noted, he can sit for a year if need be, so that would be fine.

I would absolutely love Chuba Hubbard. Not sure I'd call him raw though, he's played over the course of 3 years and has the chops, decent in the pass game, but not a good pass blocker. Still, a good option as an early down back, IMO. Love the guy.

On 2/3/2021 at 1:00 PM, broncos67 said:

Would not mind that trade, even though I expect a lot of people will not want to lose Miller. I don't know that it could actually happen, but I'd gamble on Darnold for sure. Also like the Rhodes signing in FA- he's one to watch for me this offseason as I would think Paton's familiarity with him means he's on our radar.

As for the draft, I am personally not a huge fan. I don't like Rousseau at 9. He's incredibly raw- he's only got one season of tape after his opt out this year, and he's going to need a ton of development. If we're going to take someone at the DE/OLB spot, I'd rather have Kwity Paye than Rousseau.

I could live with Leatherwood in R2. Another guy who needs some work, but as you noted, he can sit for a year if need be, so that would be fine.

I would absolutely love Chuba Hubbard. Not sure I'd call him raw though, he's played over the course of 3 years and has the chops, decent in the pass game, but not a good pass blocker. Still, a good option as an early down back, IMO. Love the guy.

Yeah the raw statement was to do with his pass protection. I think he needs a year with an NFL RB coach because one way to make sure you never get on the field as an RB in the NFL is to get the QB killed. 

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Yeah the raw statement was to do with his pass protection. I think he needs a year with an NFL RB coach because one way to make sure you never get on the field as an RB in the NFL is to get the QB killed. 

Yeah, agreed. He's likely a 2-down/rotational guy for a year (maybe beyond, tbh) if he can't figure out the pass pro thing. If he does, I think he'll end up being pretty good because he's got receiving chops out of the backfield in addition to his abilities between the tackles.