Jump to content

Is this a rebuilding year?


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I disagree with you here. Even if Schwartz is done, we have starting OT on board, Lucas Niang. He ranks with any OT we could get at #31.

J

Does he still after the hip injury? I’m expecting a swing tackle or a move to guard. 
 

when it comes to our franchise QB I think it’s better to be safe than sorry regarding his health and the OL moving forward. I also never want that embarrassing debacle to happen ever again, so finding good depth should be a priority 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Does he still after the hip injury? I’m expecting a swing tackle or a move to guard. 

when it comes to our franchise QB I think it’s better to be safe than sorry regarding his health and the OL moving forward. I also never want that embarrassing debacle to happen ever again, so finding good depth should be a priority 

In this class of OT, Niang is like drafting Jalen Mayfield. 

I can see swing tackle for a year, but he was drafted to start at OT, probably LT. The real question is how many developmental talents we can handle at once. Niang should at least be ready to play, but PTW is not and Durant is dicey and there is Darryl Williams. If we add a C and another developmental player, do we run out of room? 

J

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 1:10 PM, onejayhawk said:

In this class of OT, Niang is like drafting Jalen Mayfield. 

I can see swing tackle for a year, but he was drafted to start at OT, probably LT. The real question is how many developmental talents we can handle at once. Niang should at least be ready to play, but PTW is not and Durant is dicey and there is Darryl Williams. If we add a C and another developmental player, do we run out of room? 

J

See that’s going way to far. Now Niang is Mayfield? He hasn’t played football in quite a while let’s pump the brakes. This sort of thinking is gonna lose us games and SBs.

a 3rd round pick is still a 3rd rounder. Sometimes you get a Kelce or Houston, other times a Phillip Gaines or Keivare Russell  

Brandon Speaks was supposed to start too and we know how that turned out. Not saying he’ll be that bad but just because you have high expectations doesn’t mean they’ll succeed like you hoped. 
 

which is why I think replenishing the well with more options/talent can only be a good thing. Breeds competition, and it’s long overdue with a lot of expiring contracts on the OL incoming.

Edited by Chiefer
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

See that’s going way to far. Now Niang is Mayfield? He hasn’t played football in quite a while let’s pump the brakes. This sort of thinking is gonna lose us games and SBs.

a 3rd round pick is still a 3rd rounder. Sometimes you get a Kelce or Houston, other times a Phillip Gaines or Keivare Russell  

Brandon Speaks was supposed to start too and we know how that turned out. Not saying he’ll be that bad but just because you have high expectations doesn’t mean they’ll succeed like you hoped. 
 

which is why I think replenishing the well with more options/talent can only be a good thing. Breeds competition, and it’s long overdue with a lot of expiring contracts on the OL incoming.

Why is it going too far?

In the stellar 2020 class, Niang was graded top 5 or so. TDN had it Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton, Niang. He was pushed to the 3rd round solely by the injury, which is said to be fully healed. He may not have played in over a year, but he has gotten to know the team and the system. I stand by the statement that Niang is better than anyone we will have a chance to pick, except Mayfield if he lasts that long. Niang and Mayfield are also similar player types--mobile and athletic. 

I am all for replenishing the well. It is called the talent acquisition phase after all. that's why you scrap the plan and take Alijah Vera-Tucker or Christian Barmore if one of them slides to us. It does not mean ignoring what is already on the roster. 

Brandon Speaks? 

J

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Niang at LT is pushing it,  imo.     His pretty athletic for a man his size,  but he'd be on the lower end for LT's in the league.     

I think he dropped in part because of injury and that he didn't have the feet for LT.    Bobby Massie was a good comparison for him,  I think he's a bit better than Massie,  but the same positional value.    

He could hold his own at LT in a more run heavy offense,  but don't see it with how much we drop back.      Not that I see anything wrong with putting him at RT,  I think that's the best spot for him and KC.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...