Mock Offseason v2.

KimuraGod

Just now, xrade said:

It does not really matter what you or I can get behind. It is what to we think the Jets will do. Do you really believe JD would do something like this?

I think it’s a mock and that no one gets a mock right.

But yes I do think close to 75% of our resources will be used on offense after resigning our own. I think FA and the draft will be very offensive driven.

6 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I think what Aldon has showed is an incredible amount of strength and commitment to play again. If all the reports are true about turning his life around I think that should be commended. It’s not like he was an abuser or anything like that. He had troubles with substance abuse and looks like he’s done so much to get back right. 

Then I must be confusing him with someone else. I thought he had domestic violence and/or violence issues off the field. If it was just substance abuse and he is clean and has been for a while then I have no issues with that. But the fact remains he is older and does not fit into the getting faster on D proposal. The OLB’s in your scenario are very underwhelming and I believe JD will address it early in the draft. 

42 minutes ago, xrade said:

Let’s not forget our D sucked just as much as the O. We have a defensive minded HC wanting to switch to a new defensive philosophy. We will need 2 OLB and a LEO. We will still need Edge and at least one starting caliber CB. You addressed CB with an old guy on the downside. OK, I can buy that for a year with the added benefit of being experienced in that D. You addressed OLB with another old guy which does not fit with Saleh’s statement of getting faster on D. You did address EDGE with Lawson. I like him. That’s it. You have us drafting a WR to be a future starter. Waste of a pick. You traded up for TE when there are several in FA like Jonnu Smith.  Do you really believe JD and Saleh would ignore the D like this?  I can’t see it. 

So on one hand it’s unrealistic because I have us signing 8/9 players in free agency. They include backups, a fullback and a kicker by the way. 

But then you rightfully so say that we have many holes and are moving to a new defense and will be bringing a bunch of new guys in. I agree we would love to go out and sign all the best guys but that’s massively unrealistic. That’s why I have us targeting core guys on 4+year contracts (Godwin, Thuney, Lawson) and then sprinkle in some solid vets who might not have the youth factor but bring experience and character. 

The linebacker spot will be manned by Mosley, Hewitt and Wright but I have us drafting Jabril Cox with the 66th pick to bring that speed and coverage ability. We also have Blake Cashman who’s an excellent athlete and will thrive in this defense. I could very well see both starting 12 months from now. 

As for the draft; I really want to surround our new qb with weapons. The Waddle, Harris and Freiermuth  picks may seem excessive but let’s think about this. You say Waddle is a wasted pick?! But he will be playing the majority of snaps in 3/4 receiver looks. Come next year we will probably move on from Crowder or if Waddle outperforms him in Tc maybe look to trade Crowder. For too long we’ve not had enough weapons so I’d rather one too many than starting Berrios and Hogan again. 

As for the selection of Freiermuth you again say it’s a waste and would rather sign a big ticket tight end when again you first said it’s an unrealistic. Like I’m not sure if your saying it’s unrealistic in terms of you think we are going to spend money like it’s going out of fashion. JD will not spend massive money on every position. More than likely he will target the oline and pass rush. I do think he will go out and get a #1 receiver this year due to the economics around the league and our desperate need for playmakers 

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think it’s a mock and that no one gets a mock right.

But yes I do think close to 75% of our resources will be used on offense after resigning our own. I think FA and the draft will be very offensive driven.

We shall see. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Then I must be confusing him with someone else. I thought he had domestic violence and/or violence issues off the field. If it was just substance abuse and he is clean and has been for a while then I have no issues with that. But the fact remains he is older and does not fit into the getting faster on D proposal. The OLB’s in your scenario are very underwhelming and I believe JD will address it early in the draft. 

Yeah he’s had a chequered past no doubt but all substance related issues which I think we can all agree he’s done tremendously well to bounce back from. 

Is he the perfect type of signing. No he’s not. I’d rather one of the more premier pass rushers but I just feel if I’d have us signing Bud Dupree for example people would say it’s unrealistic. It’s a fine balance between trying to pick FA’s based off our massive cap room, desperate need for upgrades throughout the roster and the need to win now from a fans perspective. 

1 minute ago, xenajets said:

So on one hand it’s unrealistic because I have us signing 8/9 players in free agency. They include backups, a fullback and a kicker by the way. 

But then you rightfully so say that we have many holes and are moving to a new defense and will be bringing a bunch of new guys in. I agree we would love to go out and sign all the best guys but that’s massively unrealistic. That’s why I have us targeting core guys on 4+year contracts (Godwin, Thuney, Lawson) and then sprinkle in some solid vets who might not have the youth factor but bring experience and character. 

The linebacker spot will be manned by Mosley, Hewitt and Wright but I have us drafting Jabril Cox with the 66th pick to bring that speed and coverage ability. We also have Blake Cashman who’s an excellent athlete and will thrive in this defense. I could very well see both starting 12 months from now. 

As for the draft; I really want to surround our new qb with weapons. The Waddle, Harris and Freiermuth  picks may seem excessive but let’s think about this. You say Waddle is a wasted pick?! But he will be playing the majority of snaps in 3/4 receiver looks. Come next year we will probably move on from Crowder or if Waddle outperforms him in Tc maybe look to trade Crowder. For too long we’ve not had enough weapons so I’d rather one too many than starting Berrios and Hogan again. 

As for the selection of Freiermuth you again say it’s a waste and would rather sign a big ticket tight end when again you first said it’s an unrealistic. Like I’m not sure if your saying it’s unrealistic in terms of you think we are going to spend money like it’s going out of fashion. JD will not spend massive money on every position. More than likely he will target the oline and pass rush. I do think he will go out and get a #1 receiver this year due to the economics around the league and our desperate need for playmakers 

First off I believe we will target maybe 3 big ticket FA’s. WR, IOL, and either DE or EDGE. I have stated that in other posts. As for the other FA’s, I have no clue and their contributions will be either as a backup or a one year fill-in. So I am not sure where you think I would like JD to blow all our cap. I also never said we be bringing in a bunch of new guys. I said we have needs but I never, ever said they would all be addressed.

Secondly, I find it silly to draft a WR in round 1 when we have three starters. What would be so wrong with Marshall in round 2?  Plus you have us getting a #4 WR in FA.  I would prefer we fill the glaring hole at CB if one is worthy of pick 21 or 23. If not, get a starting OLB or LEO. Waddle playing in his limited role will not move the needle nearly as much as a starting D player filling a hole and I don’t think JD would either.

Thirdly, who ever said Smith or Henry or any FA TE is a big ticket item?  We are not looking at Waller or Kelce etc. These are guys that would be decent TE’s for now. Like RB it is a position that can either be filled later in the draft, via FA or next year.

I think this is the best mock so far. I do like Fields over Wilson. I think Wilson is a guy that will fall well into the late teens or 20's. I think Mac Jones is taken before him too. Everytime Wilson went against an averge team he played like dog pooop. When Coastal Carolina D is giving you problmes you know you are not that great of a QB. I also think Lance falls too in the early teens. I still want us to trade down from 2 but if we have to take a QB there than it has to be Fields 

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The D was middle of the pack

Rush D was ranked 12. Ok middle of the pack. Pass yard per game - 29, pass TD’s per game - 28, pass completion % - 30. Not middle of the pack. Yes, having a more competent O to sustain drives would help. But having more talented players, especially, for our pass D will help even more. Why do you keep glossing  over this hard fact?  I mentioned this to you once before. 

57 minutes ago, xrade said:

Rush D was ranked 12. Ok middle of the pack. Pass yard per game - 29, pass TD’s per game - 28, pass completion % - 30. Not middle of the pack. Yes, having a more competent O to sustain drives would help. But having more talented players, especially, for our pass D will help even more. Why do you keep glossing  over this hard fact?  I mentioned this to you once before. 

Bc we need an edge rusher and a starting CB and that’s it. The offense needs 2 WRs, RB, arguable a QB, 2 OGs, TE help.

So for me D is not a priority. I’ve said this for years and we keep spending money in FA on D and draft picks as well. And we continue to lose. Whole

other teams have been winning by using resources on offense.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

First off I believe we will target maybe 3 big ticket FA’s. WR, IOL, and either DE or EDGE. I have stated that in other posts. As for the other FA’s, I have no clue and their contributions will be either as a backup or a one year fill-in. So I am not sure where you think I would like JD to blow all our cap. I also never said we be bringing in a bunch of new guys. I said we have needs but I never, ever said they would all be addressed.

Secondly, I find it silly to draft a WR in round 1 when we have three starters. What would be so wrong with Marshall in round 2?  Plus you have us getting a #4 WR in FA.  I would prefer we fill the glaring hole at CB if one is worthy of pick 21 or 23. If not, get a starting OLB or LEO. Waddle playing in his limited role will not move the needle nearly as much as a starting D player filling a hole and I don’t think JD would either.

Thirdly, who ever said Smith or Henry or any FA TE is a big ticket item?  We are not looking at Waller or Kelce etc. These are guys that would be decent TE’s for now. Like RB it is a position that can either be filled later in the draft, via FA or next year.

Why would it be silly to draft an offensive weapon like Waddle. Sure you could argue we would have a wr room of Godwin, Mims, Crowder and Williams but think about it. Very good chance Crowder is moved on next year. Williams is only on a one year deal. So hardly like we have so much talent to ignore. Also take in the fact that Crowder and Mims missed time last year and Williams was out all year it’s not like we shouldn’t get other options. I just can’t beat to let another young qb down. We don’t it with Sanchez and Geno. Can’t have enough weapons for a young qb. 

And both Smith and Henry will command $7-10m a year. That’s more money spent when you deem it unrealistic anyway so I’m unsure. 

RB in the 1st round is a luxury big again i feel going back to looking after our new qb by taking a dominant running back like Harris early it gives him an incredible helping hand. Add that to Waddle and Freiremuth and it’s all setting up our new qb to succeed which is exactly our focus point this offseason regardless who we pick to be our qb.  

41 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ve said this for years and we keep spending money in FA on D and draft picks as well. And we continue to lose.

I will not argue the incompetency of past GM’s. We all know that. What you are suggesting is the same thing but in reverse.

I guess you think our OLB’s are capable? Or that we can get old or second rate OLB’s in FA?  According to this particular mock, you think Sherman is going to improve our Pass D that much? 

44 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc we need an edge rusher and a starting CB and that’s it. The offense needs 2 WRs, RB, arguable a QB, 2 OGs, TE help.

So for me D is not a priority. I’ve said this for years and we keep spending money in FA on D and draft picks as well. And we continue to lose. Whole

other teams have been winning by using resources on offense.

Yeah I’d say edge rusher and #1 cb are the two key areas in defense. Another athletic linebacker would be nice too. 

On offense other than Becton, McGovern, Fant, Mims and Crowder we really could do with upgrades across the board. And some on here don’t even want to keep Fant and Crowder so that’s even more crazy to think how much help we need on offense. 

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Why would it be silly to draft an offensive weapon like Waddle. Sure you could argue we would have a wr room of Godwin, Mims, Crowder and Williams but think about it. Very good chance Crowder is moved on next year

Because of holes that need to be addressed elsewhere. Picking a WR in the first this year is just not a good use of resources. If we need another WR to replace Crowder, get him next year. This is not the year to overload at one position and ignore other needs. We can start doing that once our team is more established. We overloaded on DL for several years and ignored other needs. Now you want to do the same. 

41 minutes ago, xrade said:

Because of holes that need to be addressed elsewhere. Picking a WR in the first this year is just not a good use of resources. If we need another WR to replace Crowder, get him next year. This is not the year to overload at one position and ignore other needs. We can start doing that once our team is more established. We overloaded on DL for several years and ignored other needs. Now you want to do the same. 

Well not really. We used first round picks on Mo, Coples and Sheldon. That’s not the same as using a 2nd last year on Mims and a late first on Waddle. 

Also it’s factoring the benefit it’s going to give our qb. That should be paramount this year. Can’t go half arsed helping a qb. And it’s not like it’s overkill. We will be in 3 receiver sets for a lot of snaps so there’s opportunities there.

I think we just will agree to disagree which is great because that’s what this forum is for to argue a debate and see reasons for/against. Me personally I would rather one too many weapons than not enough as we’ve been burnt every time.