Last Place - Good, Bad, and Ugly

SilverNBlackFan

I know it's been 6 games, but when you read this stuff.... how can you defend someone like Downing? Rookie or not, "simplistic," "predictable", these are not words you want to see associated with a talented group of players. 

Can he salvage himself as an OC? 

Last week was as bad a called game as I've seen. Lynch was averaging 6+ YPC in the first half. He got 5 carries in the second half. ONE play action pass all day. And the icing on the cake was that 4th and 2 call. 4 wide, empty backfield.... Chargers scored and took the lead off that. 

The constant 5 wide looks. Downing is frustrating as they come.

Needs to get back to basics. Power runs, set up the play action and take some shots deep.

It's almost as if they don't think they have a running game. That's why you do the short passes as often as the packers or the patriots do it. But eventually they both go back to the run game. 

The Raiders offense also seems like it's trying to be a spread offense from the SEC or something. It's just being predictable in the routes.

If this team was going to change everything up I'd rather they have brought in a proven offensive coach like Chip Kelly. I mean you talk about being "close" if you have to learn something new. If the Raiders where going to blow up the machine then at least bring in an experienced coach to do it. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Been saying this since last season. Why do we never really see blown coverages for us? Why we always got to have our wrs just win all the time and carr throw in a tight window. Its ridiculous. It was my biggest complaint with musgrave and downing has made it worst. Almost everybody who has watched type on raiders offense this season is saying samethings to. 

So I was just able to catch last Sunday's game and I'm much less gloomy about the Raiders' prospects tonight and for the rest of the year. I thought the offense looked pretty good and the defense played about as well as it has all season. I was particularly impressed with Carr's accuracy throughout the game despite the few intermediate and deep shots he took. The drive to start the 3rd quarter (before the interception) was great, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of that as Carr continues to get healthy. The offense wasn't nearly as predictable as some are making it out to be.

Obviously the team is in a tight spot after dropping a very winnable game last weekend. I expect the team to come out motivated and maybe surprise some people in a seemingly must win scenario tonight.

Archived