BG715 Pre Free Agency Mock

biggreen715

Pre Free Agency Mock

Will do another one before the Draft and do a comparison and see what I hit and missed on

HC – Robert Saleh – Was my second ranked Head Coach after Matt Campbell. Didn’t even mock him to the Jets b/c I thought he was getting Detroit Lions gig. Very excited to see what he does

In House Free Agents – Walk

·           Jordan Jenkins

·           Patrick Onwuasor

·           Frank Gore

·           Chris Hogan

·           Neville Hewitt

·           Breshad Perriman

·           Tarell Basham

·           Daniel Brown

In House Free Agents – Resign

·         Brian Poole

·         Marcus Maye

·         Arthur Maulet

·         Harvey Langi

-        Mathias Farley

Cuts:

·         Henry Anderson

-       Ryan Griffin

-       Alex Lewis

Free Agent Signing:

·         Joe Thuney(OG)– Joe D gets his OG

·         Kenny Golladay/JuJu­ – with both ARob and Godwin getting tagged, I pivot to Golladay or JuJu…don’t get the negativity around JuJu

·         Carl Lawson(DE) – Big DE for Saleh

·         Jamaal Williams(RB) – Adding a veteran to this young RB group. Reminds of a Chris Ivory Situation. A good RB behind another good RB in GB. Now get his time to shine.

·         Richard Sherman – Veteran Depth. Robert Salehs Bart Scott

Trades:

Sam Darnold & 4thto the NO Saints for Marshon Lattimore

Draft – only 6 rounds

1.2 – Justin Fields – QB, OSU

1.23(SEA) – Rashod Bateman – WR, Minnesota

2.34 – Azeez Ojulari – EDGE, Georgia

3.66  – Creed Humphry – IOL, Oklahoma

3.86 – Paulson Adebo – CB, Stanford

4.107 – Went to NO Saints in the trade

5.147 – Chubba Hubbard, RB, Oklahoma State

5.155 – Kary Vincent Jr, - CB, LSU

6..199 – Shaka Toney – EDGE, Penn State

Again, just did this out of fun. Open to hear your thoughts!

I could get on board with this. However, if we get Golladay I would not want to spend a FRP on another receiver. Bateman would be a #4 and not start. This is not a bad thing, but I would prefer to fill another hole at 23 rather than get a backup/future starting WR this year. Give me an OLB which is not addressed at all in this mock draft. Saleh will want OLB’s to make his D work. I am sure NO views Lattimore as FRP value. Sam and a fourth may not be enough but I love the idea.

Juju is not a bad WR but not on the same plain as Golladay or Robinson or Godwin. He plays in the slot a lot and we have Crowder. His best season in 2018 was with AB on the field. Since that time, he has not produced as much. He is a good WR but not at the price he is expected to ask for. I would really rather get an X or Z in FA. 

9 minutes ago, xrade said:

I could get on board with this. However, if we get Golladay I would not want to spend a FRP on another receiver. Bateman would be a #4 and not start. This is not a bad thing, but I would prefer to fill another hole at 23 rather than get a backup/future starting WR this year. Give me an OLB which is not addressed at all in this mock draft. Saleh will want OLB’s to make his D work. I am sure NO views Lattimore as FRP value. Sam and a fourth may not be enough but I love the idea.

Juju is not a bad WR but not on the same plain as Golladay or Robinson or Godwin. He plays in the slot a lot and we have Crowder. His best season in 2018 was with AB on the field. Since that time, he has not produced as much. He is a good WR but not at the price he is expected to ask for. I would really rather get an X or Z in FA. 

When you say OLB, do you mean a coverage OLB or EDGE?

4 minutes ago, biggreen715 said:

When you say OLB, do you mean a coverage OLB or EDGE?

Coverage. We are going to a 4-3, Edge and DE are the same thing according to others on this site. I learned that through discussions on here. In your mock, Lawson will play DE on the line. I am not sure if Azeez can drop into coverage effectively enough for Saleh’s scheme. Maybe he can. But I expect the OLB’s in our new D to play run support, drop into a lot of zone coverage, and sometimes play man against TE’s as well as RB’s. They will blitz but it will not be the primary role to rush the passer.

Think of TB in the SB. White and David played a lot of zone coverage while Barrett played on the line. Lawson or Hendrickson in FA would play with their hand in the dirt. Azeez is more of a stand up Edge like Barrett and we need both. But we also need a White and David.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong in this assessment. 

I think if we get a top tier WR like you have us getting, we don’t use that high of a pick on another WR. Bateman would be 4th on the depth chart. And unless the system changes... I don’t see LaFleur running a lot of 4 WR sets. At that high of a pick we need every down starters. Maybe we go OG there like Vera-Tucker and use that 3rd you have us spending on IOL on a WR. That’s be more ideal for me. But the rest I like.

Overall I like it though.

32 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think if we get a top tier WR like you have us getting, we don’t use that high of a pick on another WR. Bateman would be 4th on the depth chart. And unless the system changes... I don’t see LaFleur running a lot of 4 WR sets. At that high of a pick we need every down starters. Maybe we go OG there like Vera-Tucker and use that 3rd you have us spending on IOL on a WR. That’s be more ideal for me. But the rest I like.

Overall I like it though.

ideally i wouldve picked Jaycee Horn or Vera-Tucker but they were both gone in this draft Sim I ran...Jaycee Horn would be ideal for me.

48 minutes ago, xrade said:

Coverage. We are going to a 4-3, Edge and DE are the same thing according to others on this site. I learned that through discussions on here. In your mock, Lawson will play DE on the line. I am not sure if Azeez can drop into coverage effectively enough for Saleh’s scheme. Maybe he can. But I expect the OLB’s in our new D to play run support, drop into a lot of zone coverage, and sometimes play man against TE’s as well as RB’s. They will blitz but it will not be the primary role to rush the passer.

Think of TB in the SB. White and David played a lot of zone coverage while Barrett played on the line. Lawson or Hendrickson in FA would play with their hand in the dirt. Azeez is more of a stand up Edge like Barrett and we need both. But we also need a White and David.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong in this assessment. 

I agree with what you're saying. I think Azeez is good at rushing the passer and efficient in coverage, from what i've read.

I'm picturing Lawson on the line and Azeez standing up on the weak side. His bend is crazy.

I would want a running back earlier than the fifth round. And I am not sold on Jamaal Williams as a feature back. I know he will probably sign with a team that will give him that opportunity, but I much prefer drafting Etienne or Harris, and then complementing them with a veteran backup. I'd even take Adrian Peterson if we got an Etienne. Ty Johnson and Perine as the No.s 3-4.

That said, I absolutely LOVE the idea of trading Darnold for a position player who can start for us. That might be the best way to maximize his value.

I don't think New Orleans is that team, but there could/should be teams out there that would have interest in Darnold is some kind of player swap. 

I don't know how you can make a mock draft, when we have no idea what Douglas. is going to do with the second pick in the draft. It is not 100% sure he will go QB. Our first pick in the draft is the key to how the draft will go. There are so many different options he could do with that pick.

Edited by doumeyer

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I don't know how you can make a mock draft, when we have no idea what Douglas. is going to do with the second pick in the draft. It is not 100% sure he will go QB. Our first pick in the draft is the key to how the draft will go. There are so many different options he could do with that pick.

its a MOCK draft....

Cant see us signing Golladay(at the price he might command, definitely would take him tho) or JuJu, I think he's a Steeler or he's going to the West Coast(Vegas?)

Lawson would be a very good pick up at the right price

Thuney is a lock IMO 99.9% unless someone blows us out the water

No to Fields over Wilson in this offense or any offense. Never pass on the better talent. 

No to Sherman he's old and slow

Lattimore is not a zone Corner so I'm not sure of the fit plus he's going to be getting paid next season.

Humphrey might be gone before round 3 but if he's there that's a steal IMO

Hubbard and Williams aren't needle movers at HB for me personally

I like Ojulari, just wonder if he's too small for our defense

Not a terrible mock but not exactly ideal under the circumstances. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Lattimore is not a zone Corner so I'm not sure of the fit plus he's going to be getting paid next season.

Are we certain Saleh is primarily playing zone?  Most teams mix it up. I am of the opinion that it is easier to teach a man CB to play zone that it is a zone CB to play man. I would love to hear others thoughts on that. I am also not the biggest fan of zone CB play except when playing inexperienced QB’s.

If Lattimore were to be traded to us (doubtful) I would have little problem paying or tagging him if he earns it. It is one of the premier positions that get paid. It is comforting to have a CB that can cover the opposing teams best WR. Kind of like set it and forget it. Is Lattimore in that category?  Maybe. But he is one of the better CB’s in the league.

I know some feel having a strong pass rush is more beneficial. That may be true. But it is equally as important to have a CB that can hold his own on an island when the PR fails. 

28 minutes ago, xrade said:

Are we certain Saleh is primarily playing zone?  Most teams mix it up. I am of the opinion that it is easier to teach a man CB to play zone that it is a zone CB to play man. I would love to hear others thoughts on that. I am also not the biggest fan of zone CB play except when playing inexperienced QB’s.

If Lattimore were to be traded to us (doubtful) I would have little problem paying or tagging him if he earns it. It is one of the premier positions that get paid. It is comforting to have a CB that can cover the opposing teams best WR. Kind of like set it and forget it. Is Lattimore in that category?  Maybe. But he is one of the better CB’s in the league.

I know some feel having a strong pass rush is more beneficial. That may be true. But it is equally as important to have a CB that can hold his own on an island when the PR fails. 

I mean we might see some man here and there but he’s pretty stuck in his philosophy of defense and that isn’t going to utilize his skills to the best of their abilities. Fit matters, we have to remember that. I just can’t see that trade happening either way.