Time travel to any time period

Ty21

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, i'm not gonna say i'd sign up to fly a Bf109...

That seems...problematic?

Well, supposedly they were a joy to dive with. Because of a fuel injection system that the Spit didn't have, you could absolutely dip it into oblivion. If the spitfire was out-manoeuvring the 109, they simply learned to dive. I believe the spitfire cut out if it dove hard. So, I'm torn..... 

11 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, supposedly they were a joy to dive with. Because of a fuel injection system that the Spit didn't have, you could absolutely dip it into oblivion. If the spitfire was out-manoeuvring the 109, they simply learned to dive. I believe the spitfire cut out if it dove hard. So, I'm torn..... 

Yeah.  Absolutely.  As a machine, i'd be into the Messerschmitt flying instead, totally.  They've my fav WWII fighters tbh.  Just a bit...problematic as a statement.  Though i guess it doesn't much matter if i'm going to end up splattered across the English channel either way.  Advantage good guys actually???

The bf109s also had a bit of a nasty reputation for crashing and/or killing inexperienced/undertrained pilots on takeoff/landing though, due to some wonky torquing rollover tendencies.  Which would be an awfully disappointing time travel opportunity, if i never even made it completely off the ground before i splatted myself.  :(

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Absolutely.  As a machine, i'd be into the Messerschmitt flying instead, totally.  They've my fav WWII fighters tbh.  Just a bit...problematic as a statement.  Though i guess it doesn't much matter if i'm going to end up splattered across the English channel either way.  Advantage good guys actually???

The bf109s also had a bit of a nasty reputation for crashing and/or killing inexperienced/undertrained pilots on takeoff/landing though, due to some wonky torquing rollover tendencies.  Which would be an awfully disappointing time travel opportunity, if i never even made it completely off the ground before i splatted myself.  :(

Must have been an absolute animal of a machine 

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Must have been an absolute animal of a machine 

Just so impressive to me how long that basic design remained competitive for.  Plus, they've got that whole "so darn ugly...it's kinda beautiful" thing going on.  xD 

Kind of a shame the only examples you see flying around today seem to be the mongrel Spanish birds with Merlin engines stuffed in.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to see what Ancient times were like. The towns, the daily routine and the battles. It baffles me how intelligent the Romans, for example, were. Some of the stuff Julius Caesar done would make Belichick look simple. Battle of Alesia, for example - the counter siege. 

Ancient Rome must have looked stunning. Much of our Western culture comes from them as well. They woke up, grabbed breakfast, went to work, came home done the baths and gymnasium, then the family meal, then bed. Earn to eat and pay taxes, and have a social life. The original American-dream, if you like. 

I want to know how they knew everything. How did they know Hannibal had crossed Spain and was on the move against them? How did the Senate get word of Caesar moving against them so quickly? How did they march 600,000 people to Germany and feed them all? HOOWWWW?!?!?! 

Archived