CK7 Final '21 Mock Draft

CaliforniaKid7

2021 Raiders Mock Draft

*Disclaimer: this draft is what I personally would like to see happen, not a prediction of what I think Grudock will do.

1.17 - Las Vegas trades 1.17 to New York Jets for 1.23 + 2.66

• By trading up here I have the Jets getting one of the last true first round value players such as Parsons, Darrisaw, Smith, etc. The Jets have 6 picks in the top 110 picks and with this trade they make 3 picks in the top 34. The chance to land 3 immediate starters is a great move going forward as they have the draft capital to make this work. If they feel the need to recoup more picks they can always move back form 34 as the top of the 2nd is always a hot area for movement come draft time. 

1.23 - Las Vegas (via NYJ): Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB Notre Dame

• Probably the player I feel the most confident about in Round 1 to deliver proper value moving forward. Plenty of other players that I feel could have higher absolute ceilings (Phillips, Parsons, Farley, etc) but at this point we absolutely have to hit on this 1st round pick and I think JOK can step in day 1 and play impactful snaps for this defense. The fit isn’t ideal with other players who do similar things to JOK in Abrams/Littleton but I don’t think we should let those players dictate who we select in the first round. Bradley will find a way to get these 3 players on the field. 

• 2021 Outlook: immediate starter + impact defender

• Longterm Outlook: pro bowl defensive player

2.48 - Las Vegas: Carlos Basham, DL Wake Forest

• Had some 1st round buzz early on in the draft process and I think he’s “falling” in some people’s eyes more so due to the rise of other prospects. I still really like Basham and nabbing him here in the mid 2nd would be a huge steal. Can play all across the DL and fits into what I think Bradley is looking for in his defensive linemen. Another player who is ready to step in and play from day 1. Gives us another big body to get after the QB and play aggressive football up front. We’ve got to generate pressure with our front line in this defense and this is a step in that direction. 

• 2021 Outlook: rotational DL piece both at DE + iDL

• Longterm Outlook: starting DL with decent sack production ~8 sacks/year both from edge + iDL

2.66 - Las Vegas (via NYJ): Richie Grant, S UCF

• Almost went Moehrig in the 1st round but I just don’t love the value and I think the next group of Safeties that you can get in the 2nd/3rd are just so much more palatable (James, Holland, Johnson, etc). Grant does everything fairly well. Not an amazing single high FS but he can hang there. Another experienced piece for the 3rd level of our defense. 

• 2021 Outlook: starting S by mid-year

• Longterm Outlook: starting S (top 15 at position)

3.79- Las Vegas: Walker Little, OT Stanford

• I think 79/80 are the sweet spots for us to address the OL position whether it be at OT or iOL. I think we can find solid iOL value past this point so I’ve targeted OT as the position worth addressing here. Little is a long mover who can stand to add 10-15 pounds to his frame. Doesn’t necessarily need to start day 1 but I don’t doubt that by the end of year 1 he is pushing for starting reps at RT, if not sooner. 

• 2021 Outlook: Swing tackle + potential starting RT by end of year

• Longterm Outlook: Average starting RT

3.80 - Las Vegas: Tyson Campbell, CB Georgia

• I really like this CB class and think that Campbell has the potential to be a top 3 CB when it’s all said and done. He’s my favorite prospect behind Farley and Newsome. Good size and good mover. Definitely has lapses is awareness and can get grabby but the tools are there to work with. Doesn’t need to come in and start day 1 and between Mullen, Arnette, and Campbell I feel good about our CB situation moving forward. Decent developmental pieces in Robertson and Johnson as well. 

• 2021 Outlook: Rotational outside CB/match up CB

• Longterm Outlook: Above average starting outside CB

4.121- Las Vegas: Aaron Banks, iOL Notre Dame

• Don’t feel like Banks gets much recognition in this OL class but landing him in the 4th would be a huge win for us. Banks is a massive mover who needs to play in a power scheme. Not sure he has the movement skills to be an elite guard but I think he can become an eventual middle of the road starter at either guard spot by year 3. 

• 2021 Outlook: back up iOL

• Longterm Outlook: Average starting iOL in power scheme only

5.162 - Las Vegas: Khyiris Tonga, iDL BYU

• More big bodies! I watched a decent amount of BYU and every time they played you couldn’t help but notice big Tonga. I prefer a few other iDL but I think they go off the board before we pick in the 5th (Shelvin, Slaton, etc). Can come in and provide valuable run down snaps from day one. Jury is out on if he can develop enough to give you much more than that but in the 5th round I am incredibly satisfied with a role player from day 1. 

• 2021 Outlook: rotational early down/run down rotational DT

• Longterm Outlook: "starting" early down/run down DT

5.167 - Las Vegas: Caden Sterns, S Texas

• I really like the idea of double dipping at safety with a combo like Moehrig/Grant/Holland and then Hufanga/Sterns/Hamsah/etc. Sterns is a great athlete and I think he can be a ST contributor from day 1 with the potential to play back end snaps in a pinch. Can play split or single high if needed but not something you’d want him doing consistently at this point. Great developmental safety prospect here in the 5th round. 

• 2021 Outlook: immediate special teamer, depth S

• Longterm Outlook: ST captain and rotational S

6.200 - Las Vegas: Tamorrion Terry, WR Florida State

• Has the tools to go much, much higher than this. I’d like for us to add another big body to our WR room as outside of Edwards we don’t have much size on the roster (sorry Ateman). Terry is an incredible athlete with good size at 6’4 205. Needs to develop a more robust route tree and improve the little things in his game. Plenty of options late in the draft here to add some long term potential to the offense and I think Terry is the best of that bunch

• 2021 Outlook: final WR on roster/potential PS stash if possible

• Longterm Outlook: Rotational outside WR/fringe roster guy

Summary:
- Think I hit our main needs fairly well by adding some defensive speed in JOK and Grant and then addressing the OL w/ Little + Banks. I love Campbell as a developmental CB moving forward and think he can be a legit CB1 given some time. Would have liked to add an offensive weapon but I see that as a luxury pick that just didn't line up with the value that adding another defensive piece/OL brought at almost any point during the draft. Ultimately this probably the least confident I've felt in regards to our first round pick. It really could be any player available, trade up, or trade down. You add in the uncertainty that comes with this special, special year and man it is going to be a fun draft!

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

Good mock but for me I want a starting quality ot, so I’d take one instead of basham. But I like the rest of the picks.

Little would be a Top 25 pick if not for the medical stuff. Think he’ll be picked in the 2nd Round though and this is a very, very “Raider-Friendly” mock draft. 

1 minute ago, Devilshark69 said:

I don’t disagree with that, all the more reason to go OT with pick 48.... I think little will be fine. But I do believe most of the top tackles are gone by the end of rd 2, said it before , that’s where the value is. 

Agreed 100%. No starting OT will be there in the 3rd. At 48 I’m expecting at least two of: Leatherwood, Radunz, Forsythe, or Little to be sitting there. 

I think NFL Teams will be way higher on Forsythe than the internet. 34” arms and solid pass pro at Florida. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed 100%. No starting OT will be there in the 3rd. At 48 I’m expecting at least two of: Leatherwood, Radunz, Forsythe, or Little to be sitting there. 

I think NFL Teams will be way higher on Forsythe than the internet. 34” arms and solid pass pro at Florida. 

Ive been thinking that. Everyones gonna say its a reach if we draft one though lol

Agree that Little/Campbell might not be there in the 3rd but man seems like everybody is rising right now, some are going to have to fall. 

I really like Echeinberg in the 2nd and almost went that direction. Surprised how few are fans of Basham. Our defensive line outside of Yannick has consistently produced/proven very little. Give me more bodies. 

3 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Surprised how few are fans of Basham. Our defensive line outside of Yannick has consistently produced/proven very little. Give me more bodies. 

Basham will be a 24 year old rookie and is actually older than Ferrell while providing a similar skill-set. 

Three-year starter at defensive end with burly frame, heavy hands and an ability to take on physical rigors of the NFL. His rush attack is more technical and explosive, using active hands, spin counters and a thoughtful approach. His lack of suddenness and edge speed could get him pegged as an early-down end while moving inside to become an interior rusher on passing downs. He needs to become comfortable handling the heavy lifting as a run defender as he's much more likely to be a worker bee than playmaker in that regard. He's strong and plays heavy at the point of attack with leverage to sit down and battle for his space of turf. He's unlikely to produce headline-making production, but should be a good pro.

I'm personally just not a fan of drafting older players that lack high end physical tools, it hasn't worked out well for us.