'DEFENSE IN THE D' Mock

Karnage84

Draft night is on its way and I wanted to get at least one last mock in (it probably won't be the last one). Using the TDN simulator. 

• 1 - JAC - Lawrence
  • 2 - NYJ - Wilson
  • 3 - SF - Jones
  • 4 - ATL - Pitts
  • 5 - CIN - Sewell
  • 6 - MIA - Chase
  • Denver trades pick #9, #71, #152, 2022 3rd for pick #7
  • 7 - DEN - Lance
  • 8 - CAR - Slater
  • New England trades pick #15, #122, 2022 1st 
  • 9 - NE - Fields (the simulator had them trading up for Waddle but I figured if they were doing this it was going to be to get their QBOTF)

• 15 - Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina: Horn is BPA but he also fills a need. Okudah is still developing while Oruwariye has been up and down as a starter. If both of those guys pan out, we could have a rock solid, young secondary. Holmes is an analytics guy and the analytics do lean in favour towards coverage vs pass-rush. However, as the Lions have proven before under Patricia, you can't just ignore either side. 
  • 41 - Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame: Sewell or Slater are targets at #7, which makes adding an OT a strong option in other parts of the draft. He could be our LTOTF but starts on the right side to help solidify the line. This gives new QB Jared Goff better protection and increases his chances of success. 
  • Lions trade #71 (3), #152 (5), 2022 7th rounder to Tennessee for #53
  • 53 - Gregory Rousseau, Edge, Miami: Rousseau was the projected #1 overall pick in some 2021 mocks before last year. He has a lot of talent and could thrive as a power-rusher. Okwara has been re-signed but the Lions still need help outside and Flowers is a likely trade candidate at some point in the future. 
  • 72 - Milton Williams, DT, Louisiana Tech: Uber athletic 3T. Is going to need some seasoning but he has all of the tools to be an effective pass rushing option in the middle. 
  • 101 - Cameron McGrone, MLB, Michigan: Lions need help at LB and McGrone is a guy that can shore things up in the middle. The whole LB corp is in line for an overhaul over the next two seasons and McGrone is just the first step in that direction
  • 112 - Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse: Ballhawking FS. Has some stuff to clean up but he has ball skills. Will thrive in a split safety role. 
  • 122 - Jay Tufele, DT, USC: Penetrating 1T. Could wind up being the guy that plays the longest out of everyone in this draft. 
  • 153 - Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee: A riser over the last few weeks, is an injection of talent in a badly needed spot. 

2022 PICKS

1st's - 3x (DET, LAR, NE)

2nd - 1x

3rd - 3x + Comp (KG)

4 - 1x

5 - 1x

6 - 1x

7 - 0x

QB: Goff

RB: Swift, J. Williams, Johnson

WR: T. Williams, B. Perriman, Cephus, Palmer

TE: Hockenson, Hill, Bryant

LT: Decker

LG: Jackson

OC: Ragnow

RG: Vaitai

RT: Eichenberg

DE: Flowers, A. Bryant, J. Okwara

DT: J. Penisini, Tufele

DT: Brockers, M. Williams

DE: R. Okwara, Rousseau

SLB: J. Collins

MLB: McGrone, J. Tavai

WLB: Anzalone, Reeves-Maybin

CB: Horn, Oruwariye

SCB: Elder

CB: Okudah, Dunbar

SS: W. Harris, C. Moore

FS: Walker, Cisco, D. Marlowe

This draft does lack in offensive skill but it does impact what is needed the most - the defense. We add a lot of talent and depth to the defensive line while adding key pieces to shore up the secondary. LB is still a work in progress but we have youth and talent injected there to go with Collins and FA Anzalone. Our OL gets a boost in protecting our new franchise QB or whomever becomes our QBOTF in 2022 or 2023. 

Lastly, we have added additional draft capital in the 2022 draft (a 3rd 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick). It is a draft that should be closer to the norm in a post COVID-19 world. There is also a ton of talent available as there are a number of players who opted to take advantage of the extra eligibility offered to them by the NCAA. As a result, it should be a deeper draft, making those picks all the more valuable. 

I think we definitely miss on blue chip prospects and it's a bit boom or bust but I like the players you picked.  I have this feeling the Lions LOVE Horn too.  The stuff I've heard about him and how he was the driving force to changing the culture sounds like a total Dan Campbell guy.  Also the fact that his dad played in the league and all of our coaches are former players makes me think he fits what they are looking for.

5 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I think we definitely miss on blue chip prospects and it's a bit boom or bust but I like the players you picked.  I have this feeling the Lions LOVE Horn too.  The stuff I've heard about him and how he was the driving force to changing the culture sounds like a total Dan Campbell guy.  Also the fact that his dad played in the league and all of our coaches are former players makes me think he fits what they are looking for.

I can kind of get the lack of blue chip guys, although Horn could be considered one. He's arguably CB1 in this draft. I was upset with myself on missing out on my guy, Jabril Cox. I would like to see us find a way to get him for real. However, Rousseau has a high floor with a lot of upside. If he's Clowney 2.0, I'd take him there at 53 as opposed to #1 overall. Eichenberg has a low to no bust potential. 

We'd need to add probably 4-5 defensive starters next year and a couple on offense (3) but I think it'd bring our baseline talent level up and give us a foundation to build on. 

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I can kind of get the lack of blue chip guys, although Horn could be considered one. He's arguably CB1 in this draft. I was upset with myself on missing out on my guy, Jabril Cox. I would like to see us find a way to get him for real. However, Rousseau has a high floor with a lot of upside. If he's Clowney 2.0, I'd take him there at 53 as opposed to #1 overall. Eichenberg has a low to no bust potential. 

We'd need to add probably 4-5 defensive starters next year and a couple on offense (3) but I think it'd bring our baseline talent level up and give us a foundation to build on. 

I think Rousseau could even be a Flowers replacement.  Playing that inside/outside roll.

1 minute ago, Millenhater said:

I think Rousseau could even be a Flowers replacement.  Playing that inside/outside roll.

For sure, he could definitely do that. Milton seems to be a potential Hand replacement with more athleticism. I think he'll be a monster but he'll need to develop a bit. 

Okudah had been talked about potentially sliding in at SCB in his rookie year. I wouldn't want the #3 overall pick to be playing nickel BUT he's on the roster. If he can find a role that he can excel in, I'd be happy about that. If he can develop into the guy teams thought he would be coming out, then we'd have two studs on the outside for the next 4+ years. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

For sure, he could definitely do that. Milton seems to be a potential Hand replacement with more athleticism. I think he'll be a monster but he'll need to develop a bit. 

Okudah had been talked about potentially sliding in at SCB in his rookie year. I wouldn't want the #3 overall pick to be playing nickel BUT he's on the roster. If he can find a role that he can excel in, I'd be happy about that. If he can develop into the guy teams thought he would be coming out, then we'd have two studs on the outside for the next 4+ years. 

I think if he plays outside on base and moves inside in Nickel then it's ok as long as he's a shutdown slot CB.  I think we can't underestimate how horrible the last coaching regime was.  Also I think we still need pass rush so bad.  That is what is killing out CBs more than anything.  I'd love to get Tryon or Rousseau in the in second.  I also am looking at Samuel there as well for the nickel.  Kid can ball.

• 15 - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB
  • 41 -  Dillon Radunz, OT
  • 71 - Jabril Cox, LB
  • 72 - Jamar Johnson, S
  • 101 - Cade Johnson, WR
  • 112 - Benjamin St.-Juste, CB 
  • 122 - Amari Rodgers, WR 
  • 152- Bobby Brown III, DT
  • 153 -Olaijah Griffin, CB

Denver trades pick #9, #71, #152, 2022 3rd for pick #7

New England trades pick #15, #122, 2022 1st

I recreated your trades but removed the in draft trade up for Rousseau keeping our 2022 7th rounder. 

QB: Goff, Boyle, Blough

WR: T. Williams, Johnson, Cephus

WR: B. Perriman, Ratley

Slot: Rodgers

LT: Decker, Crosby

LG: Jackson, Stenberg

OC: Ragnow, Nelson

RG: Vaitai, Stenberg

RT: Radunz, Crosby

DE: Flowers, J. Okwara, A. Bryant

DT: D. Hand, J. Penisini, Brown

DT: Brockers, N. Williams

DE: R. Okwara, Harris

SLB: J. Collins, Cox

MLB: Anzalone, J. Tavai

WLB: Owusu-Koramoah, Reeves-Maybin

CB: Oruwariye, St.-Juste, Ford

CB: Okudah, Dunbar, Griffin

NB: Elder

SS: Johnson, W. Harris, C. Moore

FS: Walker, D. Marlowe

2022 PICKS

1st - 3x (DET, LAR, NE)

2nd - 1x

3rd - 3x + Comp (KG)

4 - 1x 

5 - 1x + Comp (Jones)

6 - 1x + Comp (Agnew)

7 - 1x

14 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:
  • 71 - Jabril Cox, LB
  • 72 - Jamar Johnson, S
  • 101 - Cade Johnson, WR

I recreated your trades but removed the in draft trade up for Rousseau keeping our 2022 7th rounder. 

2022 PICKS

1st - 3x (DET, LAR, NE)

2nd - 1x

3rd - 3x + Comp (KG)

4 - 1x 

5 - 1x + Comp (Jones)

6 - 1x + Comp (Agnew)

7 - 1x

I don't think Amari Rodgers lasts that long.  If he does he would certainly be the steal of the draft.

2 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I don't think Amari Rodgers lasts that long.  If he does he would certainly be the steal of the draft.

I've done roughly 4,000 mock draft simulations, 85% of them, Rodgers goes in the 3rd/4th rd. 

I used PFF mock draft simulator for that mock since I needed to recreate Karn's trades and PFF will let you force trades through. 

7 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I've done roughly 4,000 mock draft simulations, 85% of them, Rodgers goes in the 3rd/4th rd. 

I used PFF mock draft simulator for that mock since I needed to recreate Karn's trades and PFF will let you force trades through. 

Holy smokes that's a lot.  I mean anything is possible, I just can't imagine he falls to day three.  He looks like a day 2 WR all day.  Honestly though with this draft nothing will surprise me...or maybe everything will.  Can't wait for tomorrow!

51 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

LMAO.

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I started this using the PFF mock and they had Jamin Davis slide to the 5th... so I decided to abandon that one since the value was just TOO good. I agree, Amari Rodgers is not going that low. Top of the 3rd at worst. 

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:
  • 71 - Jabril Cox, LB
  • 72 - Jamar Johnson, S
  • 101 - Cade Johnson, WR

2022 PICKS

1st - 3x (DET, LAR, NE)

2nd - 1x

3rd - 3x + Comp (KG)

4 - 1x 

5 - 1x + Comp (Jones)

6 - 1x + Comp (Agnew)

7 - 1x

What made you decide to follow my path? lol 

7 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Just to do something different. I've done so many mocks, I get roughly the same players every time. 

I like your go at it. I really do like JOK and I love Jabril (I nearly walked into that one...). 

What are your thoughts on Collins in our defense at MLB? He's super athletic for his size but a 4.67 is still a 4.67...