NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

42 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I was wrong...it's actually $172MM next season!!!

Yes, that's what I was referring to yesterday when I commented about how they were locked in.  However, as the article I posted indicated, they potentially could eliminate the guarantees, which will lower that number, but it would still be $80M dead cap number, and that still would handicap them from making any moves really whatsoever.  They are pretty much locked in.  They have to hope that he gets suspended in 2025 by the NFL if they have any hope of getting out of that contract with a reasonable hit. 

• Like 1

If it were to happen before the start of the 2025 season, the Browns would avoid $92 million in currently guaranteed salary obligations.

That said, it would still come with a cost. Not in actual dollars but in cap dollars.

Watson’s contract eventually would trigger a total cap charge of $80.77 million. If he was released after June 1, 2025 (or designated as a post-June 1 release), the cap charge would be $26.935 million for 2025 and another $53.835 million for 2026.

It’s still better than paying Watson another $92 million (which also would hit the cap, in time), if they decide after this season that they’d welcome the chance to void the remaining guarantees.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/if-browns-can-escape-deshaun-watson-deal-there-would-still-be-a-big-cap-charge

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

heard this today...

there was concern that Aaron Rodgers would not be regular season ready, yet he lost to the 49ers so he's already in post season form.

He's a solid 0-fer-4 vs. the 49ers in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

In the aftermath of Tua Tagovailoa suffering another concussion during Thursday night’s matchup with the Bills, Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel refused to offer a timeline for the quarterback’s return while saying he thinks Tagovailoa is unlikely to play next week in a Friday morning video conference.

McDaniel was adamant that he did not want to add any anxiety to Tagovailoa by discussing anything about his career going forward. McDaniel said several times that the most important thing for Tagovailoa right now is to focus on getting healthy and being a father to his children.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/mike-mcdaniel-bringing-up-tua-tagovailoas-future-is-not-in-his-best-interest

40 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I really HATE how Carolina handled Bryce Young.  They ruined a talented college QB by not giving him what he needs to succeed as a NFL QB.  

Carolina has the worst ownership in football.  David Tepper has been channeling Dan Snyder when he should model his franchise on Clark Hunt and the KC Chiefs.

Well, unfortunately he is another in a line of guys who thinks because he had success in one field that doing the same thing in another field will translate into success there too.  Football doesn't work that way.  It's its own universe and success there takes different skills.  It's why ownership is always better when they let football guys make the football decisions.     

• Like 2