Rugby Thread

48 1/2ers

On 26/03/2019 at 7:49 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

Good win for the Tahs at the weekend, but the sloppyness is getting tiresome now. They should be a lot sharper with the ball in hand than where they are right now. That pitch is an absolute disgrace too.

Yeah, those rugby scrums are really churning up the cricket ground. Wonder what the AFL team thinks about having the Union boys shred their home ground?

Tahs should stay atop of the Australian conference for another week at least. They've got the struggling / departing Sunwolves at home. Game was close in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago, but at home in Sydney they'll romp home. 

2 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Yeah, those rugby scrums are really churning up the cricket ground. Wonder what the AFL team thinks about having the Union boys shred their home ground?

Tahs should stay atop of the Australian conference for another week at least. They've got the struggling / departing Sunwolves at home. Game was close in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago, but at home in Sydney they'll romp home. 

Yeh, they shouldn't be playing there. I mean, Sydney has so many venues that are more suitable. I don't know the politics that sit behind the ground choice, but in the suburbs alone there are appropriate grounds that could be used.

I'd like to see them just play a bit more conservative and keep the error count down, just to get some consistency. It's all well and good trying to play expansive when you have the right platform, but right now they don't.

On 29/03/2019 at 7:11 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

Yeh, they shouldn't be playing there. I mean, Sydney has so many venues that are more suitable. I don't know the politics that sit behind the ground choice, but in the suburbs alone there are appropriate grounds that could be used.

I'd like to see them just play a bit more conservative and keep the error count down, just to get some consistency. It's all well and good trying to play expansive when you have the right platform, but right now they don't.

I looked into it, & it seems the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust is also the operator of Allianz. So, it makes sense that they would want the Waratahs playing at the SCG. I must say, the new Allianz is going to be spectacular. Probably the best Union/League/Football stadium in the country. Even better than Suncorp in Brisbane & Melbourne's AAMI Park.

LOL... Looks like I'm the Waratahs jinx. Absolutely terrible loss, especially after a great win against the top of the NZ conference Crusaders the week prior. 

They played in Newcastle (basically a neutral venue) instead of Sydney & rested Foley at first-five, big mistake. Practically the reverse result of Tokyo. Sunwolves are racking up some impressive away victories this season. It's eerily similar to the final season of the Western Force. 

232px-Heineken_Champions_Cup_CoreLogo_3C

2018/19 - Heineken Champions Cup (Tier 1) - Quarter Finals - Results:

icWIeni.png

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches/fixtures-and-results/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2018/19 - Heineken Champions Cup (Tier 1) - Semi Finals - Fixtures:

Ymg0WBO.png

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches/fixtures-and-results/

European_Rugby_Challenge_Cup_Logo.png

2018/19 - European Challenge Cup (Tier 2) - Quarter Finals - Results:

hk6yERV.png

https://www.epcrugby.com/challenge-cup/matches/fixtures-and-results/

2018/19 - European Challenge Cup (Tier 2) - Semi Finals - Fixtures:

3zelVmy.png

https://www.epcrugby.com/challenge-cup/matches/fixtures-and-results/

(Times AEST - Check Local Listings)

232px-Heineken_Champions_Cup_CoreLogo_3CEuropean_Rugby_Challenge_Cup_Logo.png

2018/19 - Heineken Champions Cup (Tier 1) / European Challenge Cup (Tier 2) - Quarter Finals - Highlights:

(2018/19 - Heineken Champions Cup QF - Highlights)

(Edinburgh Rugby v. Munster Rugby  - BT Murrayfield Stadium - Scotland)

~~~

(Saracens v. Glasgow Warriors - Allianz Park - England)

~~~

(Leinster Rugby v. Ulster Rugby - Aviva Stadium - Ireland)

~~~

(Racing 92 v. Toulouse - Paris La Defense Arena - France)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(2018/19 - European Challenge Cup QF - Highlights)

(Sale Sharks v. Connacht Rugby - AJ Bell Stadium - England)

~~~

(Worcester Warriors v. Harlequins - Sixways Stadium - England)

~~~

(La Rochelle v. Bristol Bears - Stade Marcel Deflandre - France)

~~~

(ASM Clermont Auvergne v. Northampton Saints - Stade Marcel-Michelin - France)

Edited by Marc MacGyver

2018/19 - HSBC - World Rugby - Sevens Series:

File:World Rugby Sevens Series logo.png

(Results / Highlights)

(Mens - 7th Leg - Hong Kong)

1140977663.jpg

Fiji take fifth consecutive title in Hong Kong

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/news/409604

Fiji create history by securing a fifth consecutive title in Hong Kong with a 21-7 victory over France in the Cup final.

Medals / Top 3 Placings

Fiji - Gold

France - Silver

USA - Bronze 

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/standings/mens

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Highlights)

Edited by Marc MacGyver

(News)

christian_wade_buffalo_bills_nfl_uk_twit

Former rugby star Wade signs with NFL's Bills

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26470122/former-rugby-star-wade-signs-nfl-bills

Former England rugby union player Christian Wade has signed for the Buffalo Bills, the team said on Monday.

Wade quit English Premiership rugby side Wasps in October to join the NFL's International Pathway Program, which offers players from outside of the U.S. a route into the league.

~~~~~

He's obviously still a long shot to make it. But, credit it to him for making it this far. 

All the best to him in his quest to make a career in the NFL.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related image

Israel Folau overtakes Doug Howlett as Super Rugby’s greatest tryscorer after try against Blues at Eden Park

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super-rugby/israel-folau-overtakes-doug-howlett-as-super-rugbys-greatest-tryscorer-after-try-against-blues-at-eden-park/news-story/a765b37923fefa19c9253c6c7280d5d2

Israel Folau has cemented his place in history after the code-hopping sensation became Super Rugby’s greatest tryscorer of all time.

The 30-year-old, who joined the Waratahs in 2013 after previously playing for Greater Western Sydney in AFL and played for Australia in rugby league, posted his 60th try in the first half of their trans-Tasman clash against the Blues at Eden Park.

In typical Folau fashion, the Test outside back climbed high into the air and plucked the ball out of the sky to score and bring the Waratahs back into the match against the Blues.

His 60th five-pointer saw him overtake All Blacks great Doug Howlett.

Folau broke the record in his 95th Super Rugby match, while Howlett scored 59 tries in 104 matches.

Edited by Marc MacGyver

ACSszfF24i23RlCcxT3BOM9z0SYQ-cYTtbZ5z99j AN66SAwQteGz42xxQ5gRWJpKUhP8_6zARLo5fWg9

2018/19 - Gallagher Premiership - Best Tries - RND 18  / 2018/19 - Pro14 - Best Tries - RND 19:

(Gallagher Premiership)

(Slade, Try - Voted Best of Week 18)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Pro14)

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2019/04/08/munster-and-cardiff-blues-light-up-the-style-stakes-top-tries-from-round-19/

Edited by Marc MacGyver

On 4/10/2019 at 11:19 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

Izzy, Izzy, Izzy ...

This latest instagram post could be the end of his entire career. 

I just saw his new post today. His compass for navigating the climate of outrage seems to be malfunctioning. It's also - not too bright from a financial perspective, Izzy is leaving a lot of money on the table due to his convictions.    

However, I can't help but respect him for simply being honest, human, & not backing down in the face of faux outrage. I don't care for his religion / beliefs, but I admire his character, & would rather have more people like him in the game than just another empty corporate mouthpiece / shill. 

The only thing I'm repulsed by in this situation is how spineless we've become in Western society. Political Correctness, Virtue Signalling, Identity Politics, & Pseudo Progressivism are the new religions taking the West by force. The media has once again shown their penchant for deception - spinning the theme of his post into a blatant homophobic attack. In reality they were afforded no special attention with regard to his list. The list in fact makes reference to the sins of Folau's own past & the man he once was. "Drunks & Fornicators," if I remember correctly? Izzy's  earlier career days were spent indulging in heavy drinking & one night stands with rugby / league groupies. A past - he himself confessed to in a tell all a number of years ago.        

My reaction to his actual post is as follows... 

As an atheist I take absolutely no offense to being included on Izzy's "Destined for Damnation - Sinners List." As long as he doesn't try to deny my earthly freedoms, I won't deny his. The right to enter Heaven is of no interest to me. In his eyes, I'm burdened with sin. In my eyes,  he's a delusional religious loon. He's certainly not someone I would want to have deep philosophical conversations with, but it's a privilege to watch such a talent express themselves on a rugby pitch, be it - Union or League. Talk of denying him that, shows how far we've fallen. 

I'm incapable of understanding outrage culture. To me this is a non-event. You simply pay it no attention or disagree & move on. Yet, here we are talking about imposing a form of exile for simply stepping outside the lines & presenting himself honestly. I don't look to athletes for guidance & neither should anyone else. The practice needs to stop. 

There are some real scumbags playing professional sport - Violent brutes, women beaters, you name it, but Folau isn't one of them. Over the top religious spinster, sure. Bad guy who needs to be scrubbed from the game, in what world? A world of the perpetually outraged who believe dissenting opinions & beliefs are a form of violence. 

Closing Thought:  I can't believe I feel like I have to defend the guy. It really wasn't that long ago, I would have been giggling at his silly world view. Now, in an age where people actively seek to destroy careers by pressuring for overreach, I'm going into bat for him - LOL.         

I get what you're saying, and as a fellow Atheist I share many of your views on faux outrage etc. I consider myself a disciple of the Ricky Gervais outlook on life which is pretty much summed up by your post. That said, there are wider implications to a post of that nature by a man of his stature.

There will be hundreds, likely thousands of young people out there who are afraid to be themselves because of many people who think like Folau, but also take it to the next level of actually treating said people differently.

Is it Folau's fault that people in society can't share his views whilst also not letting it affect the way they treat their fellow human? No, perhaps not. But him just throwing something like this in peoples faces is his way of inviting people to marginalise sections of society in my opinion.

What I find laughable is the fact that Folau told RA that he wouldn't do this again when it happened last year, and of course he now has. Thus, he is a liar AND DESTINED FOR THE HELL FIRE!!!!!!

Edited by lomaxgrUK

23 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

There will be hundreds, likely thousands of young people out there who are afraid to be themselves because of many people who think like Folau, but also take it to the next level of actually treating said people differently.

The problem with the thinking here is we've got the pendulum swinging from one extreme to another. From "Think of the Children" through the religious lens when confronted by dissenting ideas - to "Think of the Children" through the progressive lens when similarly challenged. 

Creating an environment where LGBTQ people are never exposed to any negativity by making another group of people afraid to be themselves & have an opinion is counterproductive. We need a better solution. 

Is it Folau's fault that people in society can't share his views whilst also not letting it affect the way they treat their fellow human? No, perhaps not. But him just throwing something like this in peoples faces is his way of inviting people to marginalise sections of society in my opinion.

He's using the platform he built with his talent to share & spread his beliefs. The same way many celebrities with even larger platforms use theirs to spread the unscientific progressive dogmas they believe in - Gender is a Social Construct, White Privilege, etc... The only difference is the latter is praised & lauded as "Brave" / "Powerful" ... The former is met with scorn.   

There's nothing particularly controversial about Folau's recent post. I'm no theologian, but I'm capable of framing Folau's message in its proper context, & I think most people are too. He's essentially saying all humans are sinners & must repent if they wish to enter Heaven.

After all - almost every human is an idolater in some form or another. Certainly sports fans worshiping their athletic gods, & Game of Thrones fans too.           

What I find laughable is the fact that Folau told RA that he wouldn't do this again when it happened last year, and of course he now has. Thus, he is a liar AND DESTINED FOR THE HELL FIRE!!!!!!

LOL... In his mind he would be if he didn't repent. A simple apology to God & it's all better, dontcha know. 

Edited by Marc MacGyver