Realistic discussion on McCarthy: Should He stay or should he go?

MacReady

If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Mike McCarthy be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

There's more evidence to suggest Thompson's defensive drafting has been stellar than there is evidence to suggest it's been bad.

Hyde and Hayward. 

Pro bowl seasons from Randall, Clinton-Dix, Martinez, Matthews, Raji, Daniels, Clark and on and on and on and on.

Which is it, Thompson or Capers?  If Thompson has been crap at drafting defensive players, we can't blame Capers.  So pick one because you can't have both. 

It's both and both need to go. Keep MM if you want  (personally I'm indifferent to him) but TT's roster building the last several years has been very poor and his drafts are sputtering. Capers has to go too for all the reasons discussed over the last 5 years.

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

There's more evidence to suggest Thompson's defensive drafting has been stellar than there is evidence to suggest it's been bad.

Hyde and Hayward. 

Pro bowl seasons from Randall, Clinton-Dix, Martinez, Matthews, Raji, Daniels, Clark and on and on and on and on.

Which is it, Thompson or Capers?  If Thompson has been crap at drafting defensive players, we can't blame Capers.  So pick one because you can't have both. 

Sure you can have both. It is not logically impossible to have both bad drafting and a bad coach. I could list a bunch of defensive busts, Thornton, that DT from Michigan St., lots of LBs. I will put the onus first on DC though. TT has been drafting late for a long while now, so that might be most of the problem. If he has a point to criticize, it would be his willingness to let a weakness slide (think safety, TE) rather than going into FA more. I know, I know Marty Bennett, but if first you don't succeed, try try again.

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Sure you can have both. It is not logically impossible to have both bad drafting and a bad coach. I could list a bunch of defensive busts, Thornton, that DT from Michigan St., lots of LBs. I will put the onus first on DC though. TT has been drafting late for a long while now, so that might be most of the problem. If he has a point to criticize, it would be his willingness to let a weakness slide (think safety, TE) rather than going into FA more. I know, I know Marty Bennett, but if first you don't succeed, try try again.

You can't blame Thompson for poor defensive drafting.  It's just not an argument that's there.  I'm right there with most of the negative people this year, but the complaints have to be legitimate.

Thompson drafting defensive players poorly is not a legitimate complaint.  He's had like 6 defensive busts when you factor the round and overall selection.  That's highly efficient drafting in this league. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You can't blame Thompson for poor defensive drafting.  It's just not an argument that's there.  I'm right there with most of the negative people this year, but the complaints have to be legitimate.

Thompson drafting defensive players poorly is not a legitimate complaint.  He's had like 6 defensive busts when you factor the round and overall selection.  That's highly efficient drafting in this league. 

Like I said, on a draft and develop team, the blame has to go to Dom first. TT's responsible only as far as he fails to use free agency better.

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Yeah, realistically TT isn't going anywhere. McCarthy either. But Dom? The draft and replacing Dom seem to be the best bet.

If it was up to me I'd blow it all up, but I know that will never happen with Mark Murphy calling the shots .. he's in charge of a cash cow, and isn't even remotely interested in rocking the boat and taking chances.  Best case scenario is that Dom Capers is fired.   There is a very small outside chance that Thompson retires, but don't hold your breath.

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Stud players will rise to the top of any defense .. do you see many studs on that Packers defense?  I see some good and solid players there, but no franchise type defenders.  I think there's enough talent to win with, but I don't think Ted has knocked it out of the park in the past several drafts.  I'd like to see if a new DC could get more out of this bunch ... replacing Capers seems at least possible.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If it was up to me I'd blow it all up, but I know that will never happen with Mark Murphy calling the shots .. he's in charge of a cash cow, and isn't even remotely interested in rocking the boat and taking chances.  Best case scenario is that Dom Capers is fired.   There is a very small outside chance that Thompson retires, but don't hold your breath.

Exactly. Murphy is a putz who doesn't have the stones to make that decision. Without joking, Murphy probably thinks this season was a success given the Rodgers injury. He said the same last year after we got blown out by ATL. Winning the SB isnt his first priority so he won't make any changes to create more of an urgency to get back there. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Rodgers gets back to the SB with TT calling the shots, I'll be shocked, despite Rodgers' God like abilities to carry us at times.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Stud players will rise to the top of any defense .. do you see many studs on that Packers defense? 

Lol, yes.  Randall has been beasting.  Clark has been beasting.  Martinez has been beasting.  That's a player at every single level.  Thompson is doing better than fine at drafting. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Stud players will rise to the top of any defense .. do you see many studs on that Packers defense?  I see some good and solid players there, but no franchise type defenders.  I think there's enough talent to win with, but I don't think Ted has knocked it out of the park in the past several drafts.  I'd like to see if a new DC could get more out of this bunch ... replacing Capers seems at least possible.

Demarious Randall might become a stud player. So might King. But potential and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee. There are other teams that have been good for a long time and have drafted low, and they seem to field good enough defenses. Think Pittsburgh and NE. So yeah, Capers is culpable, and to a lesser extent so are TT and McCarthy for different reasons. But I agree with those who say neither will be gone. So focussing on the possible brings the conversation to DC. Who might be available this off season?

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol, yes.  Randall has been beasting.  Clark has been beasting.  Martinez has been beasting.  That's a player at every single level.  Thompson is doing better than fine at drafting. 

Those aren't stud players.  Not a one of them will sniff an all-pro team.  Good players though .. I think you can win with some of these guys .. just have to revamp that pass rush.

Those aren't stud players.  Not a one of them will sniff an all-pro team.  Good players though .. I think you can win with some of these guys .. just have to revamp that pass rush.

Pretty bold statement considering Kenny Clark is a top 5 rated NT and he turned 22 two months ago, good ILBs are pretty rare in the conference and Randall has 10 interceptions and two touchdowns in three years. 

19 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

You don't need All Pro's with Aaron.

If every player on our D played like Clark or Randall this year and Rodgers didn't get hurt, we'd be the SB favorites and a #1 seed.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Pretty bold statement considering Kenny Clark is a top 5 rated NT and he turned 22 two months ago, good ILBs are pretty rare in the conference and Randall has 10 interceptions and two touchdowns in three years. 

I called them good and solid players ... that's not a slight ... they just aren't pro bowl level players.  Randall has probably given up 20 td's in his career ... he's just recently strung together several strong games in a row and you want to put him in the pro bowl.  Lets see him put together some complete seasons .. no doubt he's talented, but he's also proven to be a bonehead on multiple occasions.  Clark is a good young player .. if he can improve his pass rush he could be a force.

Randall has probably given up 20 td's in his career ...

I bet you it's half that number and he was playing with a groin injury for all of 2016.  You're being way too hard on him and ignoring his very good season. 

Archived