Realistic discussion on McCarthy: Should He stay or should he go?

MacReady

If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Mike McCarthy be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Football Outsiders:

• Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. This is the only statistic on this page that includes quarterbacks.

We're the most average short yardage running team in the league.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Agreed. But I think sometimes we forgot we did that. Things didn't improve. Doesn't at all mean it's still not something to try though.

Offense doesn't seem to have the rhythm it should ever since Philbin left.

MM has lost this team. Complacency kills.  I'd rather see a change than watch the death spiral this FO is heading into.

3 hours ago, strat1080 said:

I'm especially tired of the defensive side of the ball and the incompetence. It seems like the defense always gives up points at the end of halves and is especially bad in the big moments of the big games. OT against Seattle and Arizona in the playoffs for example. Rodgers faced challenging odds to tie the game at the end of regulation in both games yet did. The defense just lets the other team go right down the field like nothing in OT for the win. I can't imagine how deflating that must be for Rodgers. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers pulls a Favre one day to try to get out of Green Bay. MM and TT are just not committed to winningTed Thompson doesn't really do much to fill holes on the roster and MM settles for mediocrity on defense and special teams year after year.  

Have to take exception with the bolded parts.  9 years of consecutive playoff appearances and you post something like that?

2 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Agreed. But I think sometimes we forgot we did that. Things didn't improve. Doesn't at all mean it's still not something to try though.

True, I'm not sure I noticed a difference at all that year.  I do miss the years of Jennings/Driver/Jones/Nelson/Finley though..... 

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Wasn't sure where to put this post, but another coach from the McCarthy tree bit the dust today .. Ben McAdoo Fired!  McAdoo was so bad the Packers will probably not have to worry about losing any more assistant coaches.

Not really how this works...the only takeaway is that Ben McAdoo doesn't need to worry about interviewing for HC positions this off-season.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Not really how this works...the only takeaway is that Ben McAdoo doesn't need to worry about interviewing for HC positions this off-season.

I think it's pretty clear that the great play from Aaron Rodgers got guys like McAdoo and Philbin their interviews.  Now that both of those guys flamed out pretty quickly without #12 I doubt anyone comes sniffing around other assistants like Edgar Bennett and Alex Van Pelt.  

Somehow McCarthy patched together a game plan and won a game with a horrible QB, yes horrible. I guess at least Hundley can run becasue he sure can't pass. Maybe Hundley is adequatre now as a backup QB for a couple of games but he is not starting caliber and he proved that over and over this year.  Dom Capers is finished and I think Ted Thompson is finished. If either are here next year don't look for any improvement and another year of wasting Aaron Rodgers career. It's time to make a number of changes in the organization. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think it's pretty clear that the great play from Aaron Rodgers got guys like McAdoo and Philbin their interviews.  Now that both of those guys flamed out pretty quickly without #12 I doubt anyone comes sniffing around other assistants like Edgar Bennett and Alex Van Pelt.  

I think every team should avoid coaches that benefit from a hall of fame QB. Look at New England and all of Brady’s coordinators... pretty much trash as head coaches (sans Bill O'Brien depending on opinions of him).

I think they failed because of one simple reason... they didn’t have the guy at QB. Philbin had bad QBs in Miami and McAdoo had an aging QB that isn’t that physical gifted (even when he was in his prime) and has been up and down his whole career.

Ultimately that’s what doomed them. I think philbin had a better shot because of his overall ability of being detailed and organized and going after his guy in the draft (tannehill). But yeah let’s also remember Belicheck wasn’t the greatest of all time in Cleveland he had to wait until Brady happened for him.

I think McCarthy saved his job yesterday.  For better or worse.  Brett Hundley having as many overtime wins as Aaron Rodgers is kinda ridiculous and I hate that that is a fact. 

If McCarthy lost yesterday, there'd be legit reason to fire him, and it would be a crime if he wasn't fired with a loss yesterday and a loss to the Browns. 

Now the only way he gets fired is if we lose to the Browns, Panthers, Vikings and Lions. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think McCarthy saved his job yesterday.  For better or worse.  Brett Hundley having as many overtime wins as Aaron Rodgers is kinda ridiculous and I hate that that is a fact. 

If McCarthy lost yesterday, there'd be legit reason to fire him, and it would be a crime if he wasn't fired with a loss yesterday and a loss to the Browns. 

Now the only way he gets fired is if we lose to the Browns, Panthers, Vikings and Lions. 

I don’t think anything could happen this season that would result in McCarthy getting fired. Even if we lose out I think that will only result in Capers being the pound of flesh that is offered up to the fans.

I say this because the GM and QB love him and work well with him. The only way McCarthy would be on the move is if Ted was gone via retirement or McCarthy and Rodgers relationship goes sour.

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

i don't think that's clear at all.

Did McCarthy's last place finish in SF the year before his interview get him an interview? There's a little more to the hiring process than what you saying.

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i don't think that's clear at all.

Did McCarthy's last place finish in SF the year before his interview get him an interview? There's a little more to the hiring process than what you saying.

I think you are just arguing for argument's sake.  McCarthy had a fairly successful stint with the Saints as OC, and had previous ties to GB.  Philbin's first gig in the pros was with the Packers ... teams were giving him head coaching interviews based on his successes there .. not because of his stints at Northeastern, Alleghany, or Iowa.  Same with McAdoo as well ... they weren't interviewing him for head gigs based off of his one season as 49'ers Oline coach, or his season in New Orleans as QC coach.  These guys more than likely got their opportunities to be a head coach based on the success of the Aaron Rodgers led offense.  Hell, neither of these guys even called plays in GB.

Archived