Robinson extension unlikely to get done

WindyCity

21 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears can’t tag him next year, no way. Not with Mack’s cap number exploding to 30M and all the recent extensions finally hitting the cap. They’d be looking for guys at Portillo’s to fill out the roster.

The only reason for doing it that I can see would be to use a non-exclusive rights tag allowing ARob to shop himself and Pace/Laine to match an offer which would then lower his cap hit.

To be honest I think the end of this chapter has already been written.  If Pace didn't think ARob deserved a more competitive offer my guess is no one else will be getting one in the $18-$20 mil range either.

He'll bargain shop again in FA and spend a higher draft pick on one before he'll go that high at that position.  IMHO 2021 is the end of the line for ARob in Chicago.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears can’t tag him next year, no way. Not with Mack’s cap number exploding to 30M and all the recent extensions finally hitting the cap. They’d be looking for guys at Portillo’s to fill out the roster.

Our starting QB having a $4.289M cap hit next year will offset a big part of Mack’s big 2022 number. 

• Like 1