2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Morant flashed significantly better playmaking ability than Ivey did while in college. I don't think Ivey is a PG in the NBA, he's probably best suited to be a secondary ball handler/creator. 24/5/6 on good efficiency is near the high end of potential Ivey outcomes. 

I'm not sure why Pistons fans are so obsessed with cap space, no big name FA's are signing there.

It's about building depth.  We could resign Grant instead of trading him and have Ivey or just have SGA.  I'd probably rather have the two.  Also if you have space, you can trade for people.  If Cade continues to develop, and we add someone like Ivey and they develop, people will want to play with them.  Like Memphis is now a spot free agents would look towards if they had space.  When Lebron was in Cleveland, people wanted to play with him.  If Luka or Ja were in Sacramento or New Orleans or Detroit, people would want to play with them.  

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

It's about building depth.  We could resign Grant instead of trading him and have Ivey or just have SGA.  I'd probably rather have the two.  Also if you have space, you can trade for people.  If Cade continues to develop, and we add someone like Ivey and they develop, people will want to play with them.  Like Memphis is now a spot free agents would look towards if they had space.  When Lebron was in Cleveland, people wanted to play with him.  If Luka or Ja were in Sacramento or New Orleans or Detroit, people would want to play with them.  

I personally don't really see Grant resigning with the Pistons because other teams will be able to offer just as much and give him a chance to win. 

Meh, during LeBron's first stint in Cleveland they couldn't attract any talent which is why he left for Miami. When he went back they already had Kyrie and then traded for Kevin Love. We've never seen a top tier free agent sign with a small market team in free agency. The Mavericks have Luka Doncic and hired Nico Collins as their GM who's one of the most well connected people in the NBA yet still couldn't attract a second star to Dallas. I don't think that Detroit is going to become a place that marquee free agents consider regardless of how good Cade becomes. 

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

Wait, so McNair is on the phone trying to swing a trade for Collins and pick at 4? Am I reading that correctly? Cause man, that’s wild and I’m all about it. Give me Ivey with a trade Collins. We’ll figure out the rest from there.

Yeah so apparently you're likely keeping 4 but are still trying to swing a trade for a veteran player, I'd assume with a package built around Barnes.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah so apparently you're likely keeping 4 but are still trying to swing a trade for a veteran player, I'd assume with a package built around Barnes.

I’m all for it. Collins and Ivey is definitely an injection of talent and athleticism to this team. Enough to make real noise? Not really, but atleast it would give us fans something fun to watch and be competitive throughout the season. A package around Barnes seems wildly lackluster, maybe a future pick too? Barnes is a solid player, but near 30 after the Hawks disappointing season, I can’t see them thinking that’s a net gain. Maybe clearing cap for another trade lined up?

Edited by Fureys49ers

Just now, NYRaider said:

I personally don't really see Grant resigning with the Pistons because other teams will be able to offer just as much and give him a chance to win. 

Meh, during LeBron's first stint in Cleveland they couldn't attract any talent which is why he left for Miami. When he went back they already had Kyrie and then traded for Kevin Love. We've never seen a top tier free agent sign with a small market team in free agency. The Mavericks have Luka Doncic and hired Nico Collins as their GM who's one of the most well connected people in the NBA yet still couldn't attract a second star to Dallas. I don't think that Detroit is going to become a place that marquee free agents consider regardless of how good Cade becomes. 

There are cap implications preventing those things.  If Dallas could clear enough money, Lavine would be there in a heartbeat.  If Cleveland had enough cap space, Bosh and Wade would have joined him there.  If the Piston's don't lock into a bunch of bad contracts for average players on 12-19M a year deals like Dallas has currently, then we will be able to bring in a top free agent.  Cleveland tried to put pieces around Lebron.  Lebron was never the highest paid player, they just had poor management.  Ben Wallace and Wally Szerbiak made more than Lebron, those were just bad contracts to aging/fading players.  Then Shaq was the highest paid his last year.  

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

I’m all for it. Collins and Ivey is definitely an injection of talent and athleticism to this team. Enough to make real noise? Not really, but atleast it would give us fans something fun to watch and be competitive throughout the season. A package around Barnes seems wildly lackluster, maybe a future pick too?

The Hawks are apparently shopping Clint Capela as well so it could be a package built around Barnes, Holmes, and future draft capital. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

There are cap implications preventing those things.  If Dallas could clear enough money, Lavine would be there in a heartbeat.  If Cleveland had enough cap space, Bosh and Wade would have joined him there.  If the Piston's don't lock into a bunch of bad contracts for average players on 12-19M a year deals like Dallas has currently, then we will be able to bring in a top free agent.  Cleveland tried to put pieces around Lebron.  Lebron was never the highest paid player, they just had poor management.  Ben Wallace and Wally Szerbiak made more than Lebron, those were just bad contracts to aging/fading players.  Then Shaq was the highest paid his last year.  

The Mavericks offered Kyle Lowry more money then the Heat did and he still decided to sign with Miami. There has been nothing indicating that Lavine has ever or would ever consider going to Dallas. 

And LeBron himself admitted that he basically couldn't recruit anyone to sign in Cleveland:

While James admitted the results of his recruiting efforts throughout his career have been mixed, he did note that there seemed to be one variable that always affected whether or not other star players would be willing to join him. For the four seasons he spent in Miami, players seemed more receptive to joining him. As for the 11 he spent playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers? Not so much.

"I've got rejected a lot. But I also have not got rejected a lot," James said. "A lot of people didn't wanna come to Cleveland, let me just throw that out there."

He added: "It wasn't hard getting guys in Miami, I'll tell you that."

Edited by NYRaider

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Hawks are apparently shopping Clint Capela as well so it could be a package built around Barnes, Holmes, and future draft capital. 

Financially speaking it works, give the Hawks a more well rounded C on a team friendly deal as well, the future pick would be the big draw though.

• Like 1

Financially speaking it works, give the Hawks a more well rounded C on a team friendly deal as well, the future pick would be the big draw though.

The Hawks are trying to get better defensively and free up some cap space which they'd do by adding Barnes (expiring) and Holmes who's significantly cheaper than Capela. If you guys are able to land Ivey and Collins on draft night that'd be a hell of a haul.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Hawks are trying to get better defensively and free up some cap space which they'd do by adding Barnes (expiring) and Holmes who's significantly cheaper than Capela. If you guys are able to land Ivey and Collins on draft night that'd be a hell of a haul.

You ain’t lying. That would be a breath of fresh air here in Sac. We’d have to figure out what we’re doing at SF through FA but with Fox, Mitchell, Ivey, Collins, Sabonis we wouldn’t need anything more than a smart, defensive player. 

You ain’t lying. That would be a breath of fresh air here in Sac. We’d have to figure out what we’re doing at SF through FA but with Fox, Mitchell, Ivey, Collins, Sabonis we wouldn’t need anything more than a smart, defensive player. 

Bruce Brown would probably be the best option in free agency.

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Bruce Brown would probably be the best option in free agency.

I keep forgetting about this guy, he played extremely well for the Nets last year. Holiday is on the roster now and works in a pinch but Brown is a lot more dynamic, and a lot younger than Justin.

29 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I keep forgetting about this guy, he played extremely well for the Nets last year. Holiday is on the roster now and works in a pinch but Brown is a lot more dynamic, and a lot younger than Justin.

Holmes, Holiday and a 2024 1st for Collins works financially. That'd save them $6M and bring them $10M under the luxury tax line.