Who do You Like on the Fringe?

onejayhawk

I personally think it’s down to;

Darwin Thompson Vs 7th WR

Jody Fortson vs 10th OL

I think 20 of the offensive spots are pretty much spoken for, with 3 more of those being a tough battle along the OL. 

QB- Mahomes
QB- Henne
RB - CEH
RB- Williams
RB - McKinnon
WR - Hill
WR- Hardman
WR- Robinson
WR - Pringle
WR - Kemp
WR - Powell
TE - Kelce
TE - Bell
TE - Gray 
OL - Brown
OL - Niang 
OL - Remmers
OL - Thuney 
OL - Smith 
OL - Humphrey  

Very tough battle between Prince, Wylie, LDT, Long , Allegretti, And Blythe for 3 more spots.      

Up to Darwin, Fortson,  couple WR’s,    And just simple health,   to determine how many OL we end carrying at the beginning of the year.    Burton is a wild card,  but honestly I see if very hard for him to make it.   

With some of the injuries along the OL, it might it easier to carry Thompson, Fortson, and possibly Burton while they heal up.  

Strictly guessing I’d say the final 5 from the top list are;

Darwin Thompson 
Jody Fortson
Kyle Long
Andrew Wylie 
Nick Allegretti 

With LDT on IR and Blythe/Burton/Prince on PS. 

I have Fortson, Allegretti and probably Wylie in over Prince or Durant, Thompson out, Long still on PUP. I'd go with those six WR and one more. Dropping FB frees up the 4th TE. I think that's a done deal because Gray can cover FB when asked. So, 9 OL with LDT and Long on medical, 7 WR, 3 RB, 4 TE, 2 QB. That makes 25. My fringiest player is Durant.

Defense is 10 DL, 5 LB, 10 DB. 

I don't think Burton or Blythe is eligible for PS.

J

It should be the same rules as last year for the PS.   Up to 6 that can have more than 2 accrued seasons.     Both would have to pass through waivers first,  but they could be added if they wanted.   Be a nice way to have a solid ST’er and veteran OL on reserve.

i don’t think Durant has a chance, just from the sheer volume of players we brought in.  Wouldn’t mind him on the PS though 

Edited by samsel23

27 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Very tough battle between Prince, Wylie, LDT, Long , Allegretti, And Blythe for 3 more spots.      

Up to Darwin, Fortson,  couple WR’s,    And just simple health,   to determine how many OL we end carrying at the beginning of the year.    Burton is a wild card,  but honestly I see if very hard for him to make it.   

I'm going with LDT (mostly for contract/cap), Allegretti, and Wylie. Wylie gets that 3rd spot for me since he can play IOL and RT.

I've been saying since we drafted him that Darwin needed to be upgraded. He just hasn't put it together and McKinnon makes him expendable imo. Heck, I'd even keep McGuire over him (who I liked as a late round prospect).

My guess for offense assuming we keep 25:

2 QB: Mahomes/Henne

3 RB: CEH/Williams/McKinnon

7 WR: Hill/Hardman/Robinson/Pringle/Kemp/Powell/Callaway -- assuming Callaway gets healthy and can play in preseason

4 TE: Kelce/Gray/Bell/Fortson

9 OL: Brown/Thuney/Humphrey/Smith/Niang/Remmers/LDT/Allegretti/Wylie

Don't kid yourself, Durant would not clear waivers. The team carried him all last season because it was true then. Plus, he plays OG so it's a natural fill in for LDT. If LDT is PUP, who is the 9th OL? In that context, it seems pretty simple. 

Allegretti has been playing a lot of C in camp, so I think Blythe's chances are minimal. The more interesting one is Fortson vs Burton. I think Fortson has that one. 

Here's a question. If they carry only 3 RB on the 53, who is the emergency RB? Hill?

McGuire is probably a lock for PS. Is Prince?

J

Edited by onejayhawk

I kept Darwin because he is actually a solid ST’er.    True he still has to prove more in offense,   But I would almost guarantee a divisional rival would pick him up in a heartbeat.    Not that I worry about that,  but dude knows our offense and produces on ST’s.  

Durant is a JAG,  I would like him on PS, but I wouldn’t worry about losing him the slightest.   He has one position, RG that he has a shot at being decent at,   But as far as depth..  he doesn’t offer much versatility.   

I really can’t argue against your 53 King, if it happened that way  I wouldn’t be shocked.  What are you don’t with Long though?  PUP? 

Edited by samsel23

15 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

What are you don’t with Long though?  PUP?

PUP maybe. But I imagine a likely release or an outside chance at the practice squad. He was signed over a month before the draft. With his injury history, plus getting injured already, and how the draft/free agency played out... he's expendable imo. Just hurts that his contract was mostly guaranteed; granted it's only 1.45mil.

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

PUP maybe. But I imagine a likely release or an outside chance at the practice squad. He was signed over a month before the draft. With his injury history, plus getting injured already, and how the draft/free agency played out... he's expendable imo. Just hurts that his contract was mostly guaranteed; granted it's only 1.45mil.

Both Long and LDT start the season PUP. It's unlikely either converts to IR after the deadline.

After the five starters, you get Remmers, Allegretti, and two more. Candidates are Durant, Blythe, Wylie, Prince, Darryl Williams. Durant would not clear waivers and Wylie can sort of play OT. That's why I chose them. Given that Durant is getting steady work and Allegretti is getting a lot of work at C, Durant may have passed Blythe.  

J

I posted this in the roster competition thread. It's 11 players on the bubble, or so the author says. I don't think most of these are close.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-11-players-roster-bubble-strong-preseason-2021/

RB Darwin Thompson - Out
LB Darius Harris - Out
DL Demone Harris - Out  
WR Gehrig Dieter - Out 
TE Blake Bell - In  
FB Michael Burton - Out 
WR Cornell Powell - In 
OT Prince Tega Wanogho - Bubble 
OG Yasir Durant - Bubble
DB Chris Lammons - Out 
S Will Parks - Out 

To these I would add

WR Antonio Callaway - Bubble
WR Daurice Fountain - Bubble
OL Andrew Wylie - Bubble
C Austin Blythe - Out
DL Tim Ward - Out
S Armani Watts - Out

Edited by onejayhawk

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I posted this in the roster competition thread. It's 11 players on the bubble, or so the author says. I don't think most of these are close.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-11-players-roster-bubble-strong-preseason-2021/

RB Darwin Thompson - Out
LB Darius Harris - Out
DL Demone Harris - Out  
WR Gehrig Dieter - Out 
TE Blake Bell - In  
FB Michael Burton - Out 
WR Cornell Powell - In 
OT Prince Tega Wanogho - Bubble 
OG Yasir Durant - Bubble
DB Chris Lammons - Out 
S Will Parks - Out 

To these I would add

WR Antonio Callaway - Bubble
WR Daurice Fountain - Bubble
OL Andrew Wylie - Bubble
C Austin Blythe - Out
DL Tim Ward - Out
S Armani Watts - Out

Please keep Andrew Wylie off and away from the team. This guy is the dictionary image of scrub. 

3 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Please keep Andrew Wylie off and away from the team. This guy is the dictionary image of scrub. 

I hate to say it, but I think Wylie makes the roster to give them another OT. As it stands, Niang backs up Brown and Remmers backs up Niang. Wylie is the 4th OT until Long returns, if he is even an option. Obviously, room will be made when LDT and Long return from their injuries, but there are usually several injured players to juggle.

The team is big on loyalty and Wylie has been faithful, so he's my #8 OL, right after Allegretti and Remmers. Durant or Prince is #9 since I don't think either would clear waivers. 

J

7 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

WR Cornell Powell - In 

Not sure why they listed him on the bubble. There is 0% chance he gets cut unless he does something incredibly dumb off the field or suffers a career ending injury *knock on wood*. It'll take a year or two for him to fully grasp the offense, so I wouldn't expect a lot of stats/contributions this year. But Powell is one of only three WR under contract next year with Hill and Hardman both in contract years.

13 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Not sure why they listed him on the bubble. There is 0% chance he gets cut unless he does something incredibly dumb off the field or suffers a career ending injury *knock on wood*. It'll take a year or two for him to fully grasp the offense, so I wouldn't expect a lot of stats/contributions this year. But Powell is one of only three WR under contract next year with Hill and Hardman both in contract years.

As my note says, I do not consider Powell on the bubble. Kemp has played his way to a primetime role and Hardman has shown the sort of improvement we hoped to see. it will be interesting to see how Pringle's snap counts come down, but he's in. With Hill and Robinson that's six.

The one's on the bubble are the ones vying for the 7th spot if there is one, primarily Antonio Calloway and Daurice Fountain. Both are drafted veteran players with speed. Ten years ago, both would have been rotation regulars. 

Edited by onejayhawk

12 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Gonna have to disagree with this portion. What improvement has he shown?

I'll quote Mahomes

With Mecole, I don’t know the best way [to put it]. The maturity — of how he practices, of how he goes about his business — is completely different. We’ve always seen the talent. We’ve always seen the speed — the way he’s able to make plays happen — but him being so comfortable with the offense and with just how we do things, I think it’s going to take his game to a new level.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/8/9/22617066/mecole-hardman-adjusted-his-mindset-for-the-critical-season-hes-facing