Eagles LT Jason Peters tore his ACL and MCL

marky mark

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think Peters is a HOF guy. I like him and obviously he's a stud...but HOF? I don't know about all that. Maybe I'm crazy....

Really hard for OL to make the HOF without a lot of team success and a longstanding league dominating running game. Plus he played with a few other pretty elite OT's, which will make it more difficult. 

3 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Do you consider Joe Thomas a HOF player?

Yes and 100% of human beings would say he's better than Jason Peters.

Joe Thomas is widely recognized as the best LT in the NFL for...idk a very long time. Jason Peters has never been in that discussion. There are players worse than Jason Peters in the HOF, but the name Jason Peters doesn't scream HOF to me. Sometimes it's about how you are perceived, and Peters will not have that going for him. Joe Thomas is perceived as one of the best LT's of all time. Jason Peters is not.

2 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Do you consider Joe Thomas a HOF player?

Yes. Joe has obviously the accolades, but even more than that he has the most name recognition of any OL since Walter Jones. Plus he has the iron man streak of snaps played. 

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Really hard for OL to make the HOF without a lot of team success and a longstanding league dominating running game. Plus he played with a few other pretty elite OT's, which will make it more difficult. 

The latter statement here is why I don't think he has any shot. He's never been the PREMIER OT. He's been the very good OT.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

The latter statement here is why I don't think he has any shot. He's never been the PREMIER OT. He's been the very good OT.

Just in pure name recognition league wide he's never been seen on the level of Thomas. But even in his own division he has to compete against Williams and Smith. Its an uphill battle, imo

Not saying that the others are better - just that he has to compete against them. 

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yes and 100% of human beings would say he's better than Jason Peters.

Joe Thomas is widely recognized as the best LT in the NFL for...idk a very long time. Jason Peters has never been in that discussion. There are players worse than Jason Peters in the HOF, but the name Jason Peters doesn't scream HOF to me. Sometimes it's about how you are perceived, and Peters will not have that going for him. Joe Thomas is perceived as one of the best LT's of all time. Jason Peters is not.

In the last 10 years, Joe Thomas and Jason Peters have been playing in the same level. I would say 1a and 1b, with Thomas being a little bit ahead. But if Thomas is a HOF player, then so is Peters. He is a once in a generation type LT.

3 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

In the last 10 years, Joe Thomas and Jason Peters have been playing in the same level. I would say 1a and 1b, with Thomas being a little bit ahead. But if Thomas is a HOF player, then so is Peters. He is a once in a generation type LT.

I feel like you are all alone in that stance. And he cant be once in a generation if there are like 3-4 other LTs in the NFL right now that are right at his same caliber and have been for years. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

I feel like you are all alone in that stance. And he cant be once in a generation if there are like 3-4 other LTs in the NFL right now that are right at his same caliber and have been for years. 

Please name the ones that have been dominate in the past 10 years like Thomas and Peters??? They are without question 1a and 1b during that time.

1 minute ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Please name the ones that have been dominate in the past 10 years like Thomas and Peters??? They are without question 1a and 1b during that time.

I mean, if you set it at exactly 10 years ending today you might have a point. But in the second half of his career he has had to compete with:

Williams has been at it 7 years

Smith has been at it 6 years

Joe Thomas

and in the first half:

Walter Jones

Joe Staley

Duane Brown (briefly)

Jonathan Ogden

Ryan Clady (breifly) 

My point is, there have been a lot of really good tackles in the NFL at the same time as Peters. And many of those guys have solid cases as well, which hurts Peters chances. Im not knocking Peters, I just dont think he will make it in. At least not early, maybe after an extended time. 

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I mean, if you set it at exactly 10 years ending today you might have a point. But in the second half of his career he has had to compete with:

Williams has been at it 7 years

Smith has been at it 6 years

Joe Thomas

and in the first half:

Walter Jones

Joe Staley

Duane Brown (briefly)

Jonathan Ogden

Ryan Clady (breifly) 

My point is, there have been a lot of really good tackles in the NFL at the same time as Peters. And many of those guys have solid cases as well, which hurts Peters chances. Im not knocking Peters, I just dont think he will make it in. At least not early, maybe after an extended time. 

Williams and Smith haven''t done it long enough. I said 10 years and longer. I think those guys can be the next Thomas and Peters if they keep playing at this level.

We already stablished Thomas is a HOF player. Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, and Jonathan Ogden are from the last decade and does guys are all HOF players. (They have already got in, so I'm not sure what youre talking about)

And I hope you're keeping brining up the rest of those guys... they have been very good, but none of them are great. Those guy have had 1-2 Pro-Bowl seasons but other then that way too inconsistent and injured. You can't make a solid case about any of them.

1 minute ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Those guy have had 1-2 Pro-Bowl seasons

Staley had 5x probowls and 3x all pros

Clady had 4x probowls and 3 all pros

Brown had 3x probowls and 2x all pros

Peters is obviously way beyond them (9 probowls and 6 all pros). The only reason why I pointed them out is:

Early in Peters career he had strong competition with Jones/Ogden

Late in his career he had strong competition with Williams/Smith

His entire career he has never had the same rep that Joe Thomas had. 

But even in the middle of his career, at his peak, he still had some decent competition for "who is the best OT" with those other guys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your other comment - This is smith/williams 7/8th year respectively. Thats pretty close to a decade. 

Again - Peters is a great player. Im not knocking him. I just think its a hard road to canton. Ive been wrong before. I mean, hell, I still dont think its a lock that Eli makes the Hall. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think Peters is a HOF guy. I like him and obviously he's a stud...but HOF? I don't know about all that. Maybe I'm crazy....

Yes, you’re crazy.  He’s HOF bound.

9-time Pro Bowl

6-time All Pro (3 - 1st team and 3 - 2nd team)

Since 2007, he’s been absolutely dominant.  That’s 10 years of elite LT play.

Anymore questions, homie?

10 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

What the hell does that mean???

Anyways, he is a HOF player and its been so much fun watching him. I truly love that guy, and it was really hard watching him get carted off last night. I hope he recovers and I wish him the best.

Hes old and have been injured every year for a while now. Great player but we should have been looking at him as already injured for the last few years.

Archived