Going Full Homer (Kicker Watch)

Jeezy Fanatic

23 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Wouldn’t he just sign with Tampa’s PS?

He certainly could. 

But given the...”climate,” let’s say...around our kicker job, I’d probably consider steering him here if I was his agent. 

Here, Hopkins is on a one-year deal, coming off a bad season, and the fanbase is already a couple September misses from demanding his head. No matter how level-headed Rivera is, that’s a recipe for a job opening.

In TB, Succop is coming off a 90% season with a SB ring at the end of it, and just signed a 3-year deal. Plus, they literally just cut you in order to keep him. That’s a much tougher hill to climb. 

I say all this having no idea why he signed with TB as a UDFA in the first place. Perhaps there’s a coach there that he wanted to work with, or maybe it’s just a proximity to home (or sign with the best possible team) thing. I would think, though, that young kickers looking for an opportunity might find Washington’s PS about as appealing a place to land as any.

• Like 2

I think what’s happening is that Succop is on the COVID list, so they don’t have to make a decision on Borregales yet. He’s basically just occupying the roster spot Succop will (likely) re-take when he’s off the COVID list. 

I’ve been watching this closely...I would love a chance to get him in the door and competing with Hopkins over the course of the year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think what’s happening is that Succop is on the COVID list, so they don’t have to make a decision on Borregales yet. He’s basically just occupying the roster spot Succop will (likely) re-take when he’s off the COVID list. 

I’ve been watching this closely...I would love a chance to get him in the door and competing with Hopkins over the course of the year. 

Sounds great. RR seems very committed to Hopkins. Not sure if they would entertain bringing in another K unless he’s forced. 

IMO, Being from the old regime, Nate Kaczor seems to have a lot to say. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

sneaky move of holding him a few days after the first round of cuts looks like it worked

I’m really confused as to why he’s so set on playing with them. I don’t understand why he signed there in the first place, and I don’t understand why he signed back there to be on their PS. 

I guess it’s probably the closest to home (that doesn’t have a long-term kicker already locked in, like Miami with Jason Sanders and Jacksonville with Josh Lambo), but good lord. If he’s as good as advertised, there are 10+ teams around the league where he could have been weeks from claiming a job. And instead he’s just going to hang around Florida with a solid kicker entrenched in front of him, making a quarter of what he could make if he landed an active roster spot?