Post Game Thoughts- Bengals.

cconocool

6 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Kirk is what he is. You can't improve him. He's not going to win you games. He needs a star studded cast around him to make him playoff effective. We can't do that with his contract.

He is a poor man's Baker.

I do agree he is what it is but I do believe good coaches can elevate their players and that to me is who I think Joe Brady is

10 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

You also have scenarios where the Bears traded for guys like Jay Cutler and Kalil Mack.

Ramsey didn't put LA over the top.

Proven commodities don't always work out either.

I will always air on the side of blue chip talent. Especially now that they are cost controlled in the 1st round.

I see what you are saying, but I'll reference an earlier post I made and say that Jalen Ramsey is better than K'lavon Chaisson and would much rather have Ramsey than him (Chaisson was the pick they got for Ramsey). At the worst, the proven commodities make your team much more competitive. There are too many Laquon Treadwells in the draft to really bank on them working out.

5 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I see what you are saying, but I'll reference an earlier post I made and say that Jalen Ramsey is better than K'lavon Chaisson and would much rather have Ramsey than him (Chaisson was the pick they got for Ramsey). At the worst, the proven commodities make your team much more competitive. There are too many Laquon Treadwells in the draft to really bank on them working out.

Proven players come with less risk and moderate upside. Draft picks have higher risk and higher upside. It just depends on what you prefer. To me, guys like Cousins, Bradford, et aren't winning you a championship. Yet they still hold tremendous FA and trade value because they are a finite commodity. To a certain extent, every position is, but it is more extreme at a critical onesie position.

I'm fine with being more risk averse at certain position. I want more upside in critical positions to win championships. 

It boils down to roster construction, risk assessment, and what you believe about a player, in terms of, a range of probable outcomes.

My overall arching point, is it is doubtful that the empirical evidence supports proven players v. draft picks. It isn't a straight apples to apples discussion.

• Like 1

I’m not a huge fan of trading 1st or 2nd round picks, unless it’s for a top shelf level player, like when the team traded for Jared Allen. 

But teams in general over value late round picks. I’d much rather see the team trade a day three pick for a solid depth piece, than use it to draft someone. Moves like the one the team made for Mason Cole make a lot more sense to me than using that pick. 

• Like 1