5 Ups 5 Downs - WFT vs Chargers

MKnight82

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

That’s a huge mistake by this staff

I think the biggest mistake is having both Holcomb and Bostic on the field for 84% of the snaps. Seriously? A team calling almost 65% passing plays, and we’re staying in nickel or base defense for (at least) 84% of the snaps? 

There’s something to be said for sticking to your guns and doing things your way, and the defense was not as bad as some are trying to make it out to have been — but at a certain point, you have to adapt to your personnel. The LB corps is easily the worst unit on the team, while we have 3 safeties who can really play. Leaving one of Curl or Collins or McCain off the field, so that we can keep both Holcomb and Bostic out there, is really kinda nonsensical to me. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Scott Land said:

Obviously Kam only playing 46% is something that makes me scratch my head, but what about Montez Sweat only playing 65%? There were points in the game in obvious passing situations that neither Chase or Montez were in the game. If they aren't generating a pass rush, our secondary is clearly not good enough to stop Herbert or really any QB for that matter. 

Definitely strange. 

In fairness to the staff, it’s very much in line with Sweat’s previous usage — 64% in 2019 and 66% last year. But one would imagine that a 3rd-year pro should be entrusted with a full workload. And there’s no Ryan Kerrigan behind Young and Sweat this year. Taking him out necessarily means swapping in a JSW or a Toohill. That’s a huge step down. And I’m absolutely with you, there are some scenarios where I don’t care what the “rotation” is, we need Sweat/Young on the field together. 

On another note, welcome aboard! We always love to add another thoughtful poster to our ranks 👍🏼

Edited by e16bball

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think the biggest mistake is having both Holcomb and Bostic on the field for 84% of the snaps. Seriously? A team calling almost 65% passing plays, and we’re staying in nickel or base defense for (at least) 84% of the snaps? 

There’s something to be said for sticking to your guns and doing things your way, and the defense was not as bad as some are trying to make it out to have been — but at a certain point, you have to adapt to your personnel. The LB corps is easily the worst unit on the team, while we have 3 safeties who can really play. Leaving one of Curl or Collins or McCain off the field, so that we can keep both Holcomb and Bostic out there, is really kinda nonsensical to me. 

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

I couldn’t agree more. Not having Curl or Collins play in the box as a dime LB or whatever you want to call it over Bostic or Holcomb (preferably Bostic) was a major major flaw in Del Rio’s game plan. It just makes zero sense why those 3 weren’t in the game together 60% plus of the game.

Personally, I just think that having Del Rio & Rivera as former smart but not that athletic LBs is hurting their ability to see that they need to adjust their defense & have just one LB on the field - or one (Bostic or Holcomb) & Jamin Davis - while playing our 3 safeties makes more sense given how much offenses throw nowadays. Bostic & Holcomb got burned a lot last year in coverage & just running that back makes no sense. Del Rio needs to adjust when we’re facing a top passing attack & we will a lot this year. We need 6 DBs on the field. Our 3 corners & Collins, Curl & McCain w/ just one LB.

Those types of decisions cost us and we’re a major factor as to why we lost the game.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Definitely strange. 

In fairness to the staff, it’s very much in line with Sweat’s previous usage — 64% in 2019 and 66% last year. But one would imagine that a 3rd-year pro should be entrusted with a full workload. And there’s no Ryan Kerrigan behind Young and Sweat this year. Taking him out necessarily means swapping in a JSW or a Toohill. That’s a huge step down. And I’m absolutely with you, there are some scenarios where I don’t care what the “rotation” is, we need Sweat/Young on the field together. 

On another note, welcome aboard! We always love to add another thoughtful poster to our ranks 👍🏼

I appreciate the welcome. I knew his usage has been around that percentage the past few years, but like you said, that was when we had Ryan Kerrigan to rotate in. We unfortunately don't have anyone even close to talent level of Kerrigan in the rotation anymore, so he has to increase that number. I get that it's game one of a long season, but I feel if we win this game, the tone is completely different for the rest of the year. It makes tonight's game essentially a must win, and if not that, a can't lose. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:32 PM, e16bball said:

I completely agree. Especially watching Landon blow coverages and Bostic miss tackles. Also I think Landon probably a better LB then SS at this point. It’s not like he still can’t line up at saftey but the player that jumps out the most is Curl. There’s no reason for him to not be on the field. Also I can’t wait for the game to slow down alittle for Juice and Davis. I think they both are playing pretty well Juice actually looks like he belongs. I see Davis jump out when he just reacts to the play. When I see him late you can tell hes thinking.

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1