5 Ups 5 Downs - WFT vs Chargers

MKnight82

5 Ups

#1 - Lack of 3 & Outs - We had two 3 & outs, the very first drive of the game and then the drive where Fitzpatrick got hurt.  Once Heinicke started the following drive we didn't have any 3 & outs the rest of the game. This is obviously important because theoretically it should help your defense out by letting them rest, and I actually think this helped keep us in the game instead of getting completely blown out. 

#2 - The Defense Didn't Allow Many Points - There are some bad defensive stats from this game but there are also some good ones.  Mainly, the defense only allowed 20 points and that included a fumble we gave them on their own 3 yard line which led to an immediate TD.  So I can't really fault the defense on that one (the weird fumble into the endzone call for them was questionable, but hey the Defense pulled it off). Holding a team to 20 points should lead to some wins, 13 is even better. 

#3 - We Had a Better Ground Game - We finished with 126 rushing yards to their 90. Antonio Gibson equaled their team total with 90 yards himself and his 4.5 ypc were significantly better than their backs. Gibson also had 3 receptions for 18 yards taking his all purpose yards over 100 for the game. Heinicke added 17 yards on some scrambles. In general I thought the offensive line did a decent job blocking in the run game, which is something we haven't looked so good at in the past. 

#4 - Penalties - We were credited with 8 penalties for 57 yards vs the Chargers 6 penalties for 94 yards. It seems like we finally won on the questionable ref calls for the week as none of our penalties were really killers and some of the ones they were charged with really bailed us out several times. 

#5 - Individual Shout Outs - McLaurin was solid and had that one huge deep amazing catch. Logan Thomas pulled in a TD grab. William Jackson looked good in his debut and even pulled in an INT. Kam Curl stood out as well. Generally I thought the Oline performed good as well. 

5 Downs

#1 - Demolished in Time of Possession - Usually when you get manhandled in TOP you look at the offense to see if they had a bunch of 3 & outs, but that wasn't the case in this game. The defense just allowed the Chargers to continually have long sustained drives that kept our offense on the bench.  The Chargers officially had possession for 36:03 vs our 23:57. Obviously 3rd down was a huge issue as they converted 14 of 19 against us. I was actually curious as to how long the Chargers offense needed to go on a lot of these 3rd downs so I did the math.  So there were actually 21 third down attempts by the Chargers, two of which ended in Washington penalties so I assume they weren't counted and that's how the box score shows 19. Just including those 19, the Chargers averaged 3rd and 5.68 yards remaining, which to me sounds like overall a pretty good job by the defense on downs 1 & 2. They allowed on average 8.63 yards on 3rd down which is abysmal (if you break this up between halves it was 4.55 yards needed on average by the Chargers in 1st, with 4.33 given up, pretty solid, but 6.7 yards needed in 2nd half, even better, but somehow 12.5 yards on average given up, yikes).  I find it hard to believe the discrepancy of play is that big between 3rd down and 1st/2nd, so I'm going to chalk this up as a really bad coaching gameplan.  Fatigue may also have played a part in the 2nd half. That's my theory anyways. 

#2 - Taylor Heinicke's Upside - I am a fan of Heinicke and I wanted him to start this whole year so we could find out what we have in him.  I like his scrambling ability and the way he seems to find a way to extend drives. But man oh man, that "deep ball" he threw to McLaurin was one of the worst throws I've ever seen a professional QB make.  It was like a lame duck punt throw up into the middle of the defense. This worries me in 2 ways.  First, I'm concerned that he simply does not have the arm strength of a professional QB. Second, he seems to have really poor deep ball accuracy. Both of these things seem to limit his ceiling significantly. Obviously very early still but definitely concerned me. 

#3 - All the Offensive Skill Players Not Named McLaurin, Thomas, Gibson - The rest of you scrubs gave us 27 yards.  

#4 - The Secondary - I know a lot of people are giving a lot of criticism to the defensive line for this game, and they didn't do a whole lot, but personally I put more blame on the secondary. They held them under 100 rushing yards, which is generally a dline stat. 2 sacks isn't great but they also hit him 5 more times. It looked to me like the Chargers intentionally gameplanned for Herbert to get the ball out very quickly, and the commentators even mentioned it several times. I'm sorry but if you can't cover opposing WRs for 3 freaking seconds that is just pathetic. William Jackson and Curl are the only 2 in the back group that played well. I can't really blame St Juste cause it was his first professional game, but good lord did Fuller get abused and the criminally overpaid Landon Collins continues to pay no dividends (he was credited with 2 tackles, no pass defenses, literally no other stats). The coverage linebackers are lumped into this group as well as they just demolished us in the middle of the field all game. I do think this will get better as not every QB will have the ability to get the ball out as quickly and efficiently as Herbert, and I also think the Chargers have a very talented WR core, but come on guys you gotta step up. 

#5 - Individual Crap Performances - Chase Young we drafted you over Herbert, you didn't help your case in this one. Fuller/Collins/Bostic. 

• Like 5

Hard to disagree with what was written. Frankly I would’ve had a hard time finding 5 ups at all so kudos to you for finding them. Mine would’ve been like 2 or 3 ups & 10 downs.

I will point out with a slight change to Heinicke’s lollipop throw, it was on the left sideline, not down the middle of the defense. Terry was wide open. The throw was over the corner & was only able to almost be caught by the safety because it was a moon ball. So, If the Chargers safety had caught it - it went through his hands - he would’ve been down when he caught it as was Terry & it would’ve basically been equivalent to a punt along that sideline. 

Awful throw though, I still can’t believe Terry caught it. I definitely agree that Heinicke’s arm strength and deep ball accuracy is a major concern. Terry was wide open on that route, a better throw may have been a TD.

Edited by turtle28

Ups(in no order)
William Jackson-Thaught he looked like what we paid him to be
Kam Curl-excellent 1st half though kinda didn't see him in 2nd
Terry being Terry
Gibson minus the fumble and drop
Heinicke looked like a solid backup/spot Starter but will need to be more for this team to be where we want them

Downs in no Order
Offensive Coaching-The lack of designed plays for Terry or Logan in 1st half was baffling
Defensive Coaching-How you going to trust St-Juste man to man all game in key spots then call a east cover 4 on 3rd and 16 with Game on the line and let them set down for a easy 1st
D-Line-The Lack of Pressure all game vs a below average Oline that had its starting RT out 2nd half is horrible for a team with our Dline if they want to be star they better play like Million bucks they want
Rookies beside Dyami-Don't remember even hearing Jamin's name,Cosmi got destroyed all game as expected by Bosa BSJ got picked on.
The Stadium-Embarassing Video on twitter 

Extra down for Jay Feeley who it felt like was rooting kissing up to Chargers all day

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Ups(in no order)
William Jackson-Thaught he looked like what we paid him to be
Kam Curl-excellent 1st half though kinda didn't see him in 2nd
Terry being Terry
Gibson minus the fumble and drop
Heinicke looked like a solid backup/spot Starter but will need to be more for this team to be where we want them

Downs in no Order
Offensive Coaching-The lack of designed plays for Terry or Logan in 1st half was baffling
Defensive Coaching-How you going to trust St-Juste man to man all game in key spots then call a east cover 4 on 3rd and 16 with Game on the line and let them set down for a easy 1st
D-Line-The Lack of Pressure all game vs a below average Oline that had its starting RT out 2nd half is horrible for a team with our Dline if they want to be star they better play like Million bucks they want
Rookies beside Dyami-Don't remember even hearing Jamin's name,Cosmi got destroyed all game as expected by Bosa BSJ got picked on.
The Stadium-Embarassing Video on twitter 

Extra down for Jay Feeley who it felt like was rooting kissing up to Chargers all day

I heard on the radio this morning that Curl only played on like 50 of the teams 78 plays on defense. Not sure why that was. I guess we went away from the Buffalo nickel and went with another corner? I have no clue the answer to that.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Hard to disagree with what was written. Frankly I would’ve had a hard time finding 5 ups at all so kudos to you for finding them. Mine would’ve been like 2 or 3 ups & 10 downs.

I will point out with a slight change to Heinicke’s lollipop throw, it was on the left sideline, not down the middle of the defense. Terry was wide open. The throw was over the corner & was only able to almost be caught by the safety because it was a moon ball. So, If the Chargers safety had caught it - it went through his hands - he would’ve been down when he caught it as was Terry & it would’ve basically been equivalent to a punt along that sideline. 

Awful throw though, I still can’t believe Terry caught it. I definitely agree that Heinicke’s arm strength and deep ball accuracy is a major concern. Terry was wide open on that route, a better throw may have been a TD.

That pass also hung up in the sky forever. How the defense didn't make a play on it, I have no idea.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Woz said:

That pass also hung up in the sky forever. How the defense didn't make a play on it, I have no idea.

The defense did, it literally went through the free safeties arms into Terry’s. I believe Terry got top play on Sports Center for that. It’s just amazing he caught that ball. I don’t know how he concentrated on it and caught it after it went through the FSs arms. Terry’s catch could end up being one of the best catches of all of football when the season is over.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:51 PM, turtle28 said:

Obviously Kam only playing 46% is something that makes me scratch my head, but what about Montez Sweat only playing 65%? There were points in the game in obvious passing situations that neither Chase or Montez were in the game. If they aren't generating a pass rush, our secondary is clearly not good enough to stop Herbert or really any QB for that matter. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

Obviously Kam only playing 46% is something that makes me scratch my head, but what about Montez Sweat only playing 65%? There were points in the game in obvious passing situations that neither Chase or Montez were in the game. If they aren't generating a pass rush, our secondary is clearly not good enough to stop Herbert or really any QB for that matter. 

Yeah, I get that our DL need a break sometimes and James Smith-Williams or Toohill need to be rotated in, but it seemed like they were rotated at the worst times on Sunday. I don’t know if Chase or Montez pulled themself out of the game to get a break or if it was a coaching decision either. Anyways you look at it, they both need to be on the field in key situations like especially when the opposing team is in the redzone.

11 minutes ago, 4209 said:

If I remember correctly we had the Chargers in a 3rd and 16 and they coverted it. Can anybody here correct me if I am wrong.  We have the Gaints coming up. We just need to play better.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401326312 

Final drive of the game Chargers had 3 & 16 and converted with a 17 yard pass. 

• Like 1