Winter Tires.

Tugboat

1 minute ago, steadypimpin said:

So do you guys have 2 sets of rims and tires? One set for winter and one set for everything else? Do you guys remove your tires in the winter and have winter tires installed? I just get all season tires and try not to drive my hooptie in the snow if I can't help it.

Most folks use the same wheels and switch the tires every 6 months.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Most folks use the same wheels and switch the tires every 6 months.

Seems like a hassle. So you have to stash 4 tires somewhere for 6 months then you have to bring them to a shop and have them swap it for you and then you need to stash them for another 6 months?  I'd rather just buy a cheap set of wheels with tires mounted and swap it myself. Way cheaper in the long run too. The wheels might cost you a few hundred or more but removing 4 tires and then reinstalling 4 other tires and mounting and balancing is expensive too.

10 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Seems like a hassle. So you have to stash 4 tires somewhere for 6 months then you have to bring them to a shop and have them swap it for you and then you need to stash them for another 6 months?  I'd rather just buy a cheap set of wheels with tires mounted and swap it myself. Way cheaper in the long run too. The wheels might cost you a few hundred or more but removing 4 tires and then reinstalling 4 other tires and mounting and balancing is expensive too.

Yeah, you keep them in your garage. 

Its as hassle, but so is getting in a wreck because you don't have adequate tires.

I'd buy wheels personally, but I don't need dedicated snow tires. It also depends what you're driving, 18-22 inch wheels aren't cheap and a lot of folks don't want to put $100 wheels on a 40k+ vehicle.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, you keep them in your garage. 

Its as hassle, but so is getting in a wreck because you don't have adequate tires.

I'd buy wheels personally, but I don't need dedicated snow tires. It also depends what you're driving, 18-22 inch wheels aren't cheap and a lot of folks don't want to put $100 wheels on a 40k+ vehicle.

Garage? $40k vehicles??? I don't know what those are. ???

3 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Naw man. I don't care about having a garage, I'm a homeowner but no garage. Also I don't like to spend crazy money on cars, I think they're a waste of money. Just give me something that looks cool to get me from A to B.

Looking cool with kids in the back gets exponentially more expensive ;)

2 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Actually I have kids too. I really want to get a new vehicle but don't want payments yet. I'm thinking in the spring I'm gonna pull the trigger. I've had my car for 8 years now. I want a crewcab truck.

That's what I drive.

You'll know what I mean about 40k vehicles with 20 inch wheels before long then lol.

16 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Well, I'm looking into a Tacoma and not a brand new one. Slightly used, low miles will fetch for less than $18k. I don't want 20 inch wheels cuz 20 inch tires cost more.

That they do, I'll be spending just shy of $1400 for tires in the STOCK SIZE. Of course there are cheaper options, but you get the point.

You'll like the Taco, they're great trucks that hold resale well.

On 10/28/2017 at 6:20 PM, domepatrol91 said:

AWD doesn't help you turn? The whole point is getting power to the front tires so they aren't just sleds, and the rear to assist with traction. At least coming from a mostly RWD driver (pickup) I can see a huge difference in turning. 

I think snow tires on a FWD can be incredibly effective, but I drive in snow with all-weather tires every year and don't have a problem getting around with AWD in my Subaru;

It's more about the driver than the tires, but good snow tires are  definitely helpful to both. 

AWD absolutely does not give you magic extra braking or lateral cornering grip to help you stop or turn at and beyond the limits of traction, because that's not how traction works.

idk what you mean about "front tires being sleds"...but the fact is, all cars have 4 tire contact patches.  The grip of those patches is what dictates your ability to stop/turn.  Having 4x driven wheels will help you accelerate or power through snow/ice better because you're multiplying the driven wheel contact patch by 2x compared to a FWD/RWD vehicle.  But it does not give you any more real bonus lateral grip or stopping grip compared to a 2WD car with the same tires.

It's a common misconception, where people mistake the ability to accelerate a bit more quickly for more actual grip.  But it's flat out wrong.  The ability to apply more power to the road isn't the same as cornering and stopping grip.

The driver's ability to operate their vehicle appropriately for the conditions, ability to drive smoothly and experience with winter driving is absolutely huge too (and most people suck at it tbh).  But good winter tires are helpful for any driver like that precisely because they literally increase your grip levels in those sort of cruddy winter driving conditions where grip and traction are at a premium.

Like I said, snow tires definitely improve drivers of all skill levels. No doubt I'd be better in the snow and ice with them.

But on my all-weather tires I get around just fine. We had a nasty winter here too, and I never had any issues while people with studs and chains were in the ditch. A good driver can be better than good tires.

I'm getting studded tires for the subaru this winter. It's gonna get overhauled into the full time snow machine because of how well it performed in the ice and snow this year. 

Like, i assume the reason you're thinking about going for intense studded winter tires for the Scoobie Do as a winter machine, is because you do realize the benefits of real good winter traction wheels.  Right?

Archived