MOVING ON FROM GOFF (5RD TDN MOCK)

Karnage84

After the abysmal play yesterday, it is clearly evident that Goff has zero future here in Detroit. While I have been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on the lack of talent surrounding him, it is evident that he is holding the whole team back. The defense is responding to future HC Aaron Glenn's coaching and he is getting everything he can out of it despite the lack of talent and injuries. However, the offense is leaving the defense hanging out to dry and putting them in even more difficult positions. 

This is just a look at what it could look like if we decided to start the "Jared Goff replacement tour" a year earlier than expected. 

TRADE

Philadelphia trades #5, #11, #38, #75 for #1 overall (Kayvon Thibodeaux)

#5 - Aidan Hutchinson, Edge, Michigan

Not a homer pick, Hutchinson has shown himself to be a high level Edge player. The Lions add another piece to a young DL that will be a key cog in the rebuilding of this defense

#11 - Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas

The Lions lack talent at WR. Adding someone like Burks here is an investment at the position and an instant upgrade for whomever is under center next year.

#27 - Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati

The best QB available in this list. This provides the Lions with the 5th year option. This also allows the Lions flexibility in adding another QB next year if Ridder does not show that he has the tools to be "the guy" and a better option is available next season. 

#33 - Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia

The Lions severely lack talent at LB. BPA at a key position of need.

#38 - John Metchie III, WR, Alabama

Similar to when the Broncos selected Jeudy (round 1) and Hamler (round 2) in the 2020 draft, the Lions double up at the position. A grouping of Tryelon Burks, John Metchie, Josh Reynolds, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Quintez Cephus is vastly superior to our current crop. 

#65 - Christian Harris, LB, Alabama

Another addition the LB corp. Is surprisingly available at this position. 

#75 - Brandon Joseph, SS, Northwestern

Add some talent to the secondary and someone to pair with Tracy Walker (I expect we'll re-sign him). 

#98 - Cade Otton, TE, Washington

The Lions need to add a TE2 and potentially prepare for the future loss of TJ Hockenson. 

#143 - Tyrese Robinson, OG, Oklahoma

Big V is just a big disappointment and we don't seem to have other pieces to fill reliably fill that spot. Add another young player to build out the talent on the offensive line, protecting our future QB and opening up running lanes for Swift and co.

#176 - D'Jordan Strong, CB, Coastal Carolina

The CB group has surprisingly shown a lot of growth and depth. We have had a bunch of young guys come in, play hard and play beyond expectations. The battles with injuries, lack of talent in front of them (especially at LB) and atrocious offense has put them in a difficult position. Adding another young player to the pool and see what shakes out. 

Ok, Overall I like the positions that you went for. I'm not a big fan of any of the qb's in this years draft and would prefer to wait until after the third round. If qb is the pick, I'm not sure if Ridder would  be the guy I'd go after, but to each their own.

What I don't understand is why Philadelphia would make this trade?  I don't think Hutchinson is that far off from KT's talent level. That's a lot of resources to give up for similar talent at the same position.  If I was a Philly fan, I'd be livid about this trade. If I was a Lions fan, I'd be all for it.

• Like 1

I just did almost something very similar. it was trade down with jets for their 2 firsts. I grabbed Aiden. Didnt know he was from Plymouth!! from my backyard lol. I went with London instead of Burks BUT I picked Burks in Madden (he fell for a some dumb madden reason lol) Also Iwent with Devin Lloyd from Utah only because Nakobe was drafted like 15th. I think Dean goes top 20 but who the heck knows lmao. I like Mccreary and gardner also at CB. Great draft and great ideas though. Good job. Im done with Goff too lol. 

The trade seems odd.  Like that is what someone would offer up for a good QB prospect, not a OLB/DE as @LionArkie mentioned is similar to others available.  If we can get a deal like this I would be all for it.  This would definitely fix a lot of holes so if we have the opportunity to trade down, I hope we take it.  I just dont see that being a rel thing, at least for that kind of value. 

1 minute ago, NFL_Fan said:

I wouldnt go 2 LBers tho. We have solid guys in Barnes and Anzalone. Just need a 3rd and have some depth already. I think Beckett does something if injury happens off PS.

I don't think Anzalone is someone you build around.  He has been pretty awful this year so if we can upgrade him, the D will be better for it. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think Anzalone is someone you build around.  He has been pretty awful this year so if we can upgrade him, the D will be better for it. 

NEVER said build. Just another year of him. But we dont need 5 good LBs to pay in 3-4 years....Barnes is here to stay. shoot we just need one more since there is so much nickel and dime. plus depth of course.

41 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Ok, Overall I like the positions that you went for. I'm not a big fan of any of the qb's in this years draft and would prefer to wait until after the third round. If qb is the pick, I'm not sure if Ridder would  be the guy I'd go after, but to each their own.

What I don't understand is why Philadelphia would make this trade?  I don't think Hutchinson is that far off from KT's talent level. That's a lot of resources to give up for similar talent at the same position.  If I was a Philly fan, I'd be livid about this trade. If I was a Lions fan, I'd be all for it.

Kayvon, a QB like Corral... that's just how the simulator went and maybe they view him as an elite level talent. Not suggesting that KT is Chase Young but if WFT had been willing to listen, guarantee teams would have made offers and followed through to acquire him. 

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The trade seems odd.  Like that is what someone would offer up for a good QB prospect, not a OLB/DE as @LionArkie mentioned is similar to others available.  If we can get a deal like this I would be all for it.  This would definitely fix a lot of holes so if we have the opportunity to trade down, I hope we take it.  I just dont see that being a rel thing, at least for that kind of value. 

That's just what the simulator did. Switch it up for Corral vs KT or something else that makes sense.  

10 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

I wouldnt go 2 LBers tho. We have solid guys in Barnes and Anzalone. Just need a 3rd and have some depth already. I think Beckett does something if injury happens off PS.

I don't think you can rely on PS guys to come in and be key pieces on either side of the ball. If they happen to develop into that, great, that's what we want to see. Until they show otherwise, we should be adding talent in spots that are sorely lacking in it. 

Not suggesting PFF is the end all, be all (we've all had this discussion before) but for comparative purposes

- Barnes - 50.8 PFF Score

- Anzalone - 34.2 PFF Score

- JRM - 58.3 PFF Score

Barnes has shown flashes but he's not playing at a level high enough where I would just completely disregard adding quality talent around him. 

Anzalone has obviously struggled and is in need of being replaced. JRM is on a 1 year deal. He's going to be 27 and while he's good he's far from great. 

• Like 1

I like the trade idea.  Howie Roseman, for better or worse, isn't afraid to make deals to get the players he wants and this draft seems defense-heavy.  That trade would be ideal for the Lions.  I don't know enough about all of the players to give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.  However, considering how many positions we could use help at, doubling up WR and LB might hurt our long-term depth at other positions.  Still, you hit most of our primary positions-of-need.  Nice work!

42 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

I can't say that Anzalone is a long-term solution at LB.  Barnes is developing at a stead pace though.  I am hoping we re-sign Charles Harris though.  He has been a solid free agent signing.

6 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Sorry but them first two picks I just don't like. Aiden is aballer but idk if he's a constant dbl digit sack kind of guy. And give me Wilson at wr

Wilson was already gone and Burks was the top guy there. 

Sacks would be great but if a guy can consistently generate pressures is going to impact the other guys around him and maybe it'll be their numbers that'll go up. 

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Wilson was already gone and Burks was the top guy there. 

Sacks would be great but if a guy can consistently generate pressures is going to impact the other guys around him and maybe it'll be their numbers that'll go up. 

He ain't gonna get away with a lot of things he does in the pros.. but maybe I'm wrong... and if Wilson is gone I'm still not reaching for Burks... bpa he would not be 

Edited by Rockcity2