Sutton back at practice

jebrick

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Sutton will be the PR in week 9.  Sessabaugh will be released.

I sure as hell hope not to the bold...

AB is damn near as sure handed as they come and can be one of the most dynamic returners in the game. Sutton is a rookie who has missed half a year and has really not gotten a chance to experience NFL game day speed/environment. We have seen how much they value catching the football as a PR with Eli early in the year and Tomlin is notoriously against defenders who do not handle the ball on the day to day. If Sutton ends the year as the returner so be it, but it better not happen immediately. He has missed too much time. Im not even sure he is an automatic active on Sundays with how much time he has missed and the players in front of him on the Depth chart. 

And not saying its wrong, but not sure why Sensebaugh wouldnt be a better game day roster choice than some of the others -- specifically Gay. Gay has barely played on defense, and if Sutton ultimately takes his Dime play, he offers nothing in forms of a body on the 46. Sensebaugh has played some ST and can play man/zone and inside/outside. Gay cannot play ST and only plays Zone inside. Hunter is a much more logical cut. He offers nothing and is a redundant piece. Hunter and Eli barely play, and when they do they do not produce. With JuJu cementing the #2 and still having Bryant and DHB as a depth deep threat -- there is no reason for Hunter to be occupying a roster space. 

Sutton could take Hunters rosters space and inactive slot in the first few weeks and can ultimately push for Gays dime play. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I sure as hell hope not to the bold...

AB is damn near as sure handed as they come and can be one of the most dynamic returners in the game. Sutton is a rookie who has missed half a year and has really not gotten a chance to experience NFL game day speed/environment. We have seen how much they value catching the football as a PR with Eli early in the year and Tomlin is notoriously against defenders who do not handle the ball on the day to day. If Sutton ends the year as the returner so be it, but it better not happen immediately. He has missed too much time. Im not even sure he is an automatic active on Sundays with how much time he has missed and the players in front of him on the Depth chart. 

And not saying its wrong, but not sure why Sensebaugh wouldnt be a better game day roster choice than some of the others -- specifically Gay. Gay has barely played on defense, and if Sutton ultimately takes his Dime play, he offers nothing in forms of a body on the 46. Sensebaugh has played some ST and can play man/zone and inside/outside. Gay cannot play ST and only plays Zone inside. Hunter is a much more logical cut. He offers nothing and is a redundant piece. Hunter and Eli barely play, and when they do they do not produce. With JuJu cementing the #2 and still having Bryant and DHB as a depth deep threat -- there is no reason for Hunter to be occupying a roster space. 

Sutton could take Hunters rosters space and inactive slot in the first few weeks and can ultimately push for Gays dime play. 

Rodgers has as many muffed punts as Brown does this year.  either they want to make some punt returns or just fair catch everything.  I would hope it is the former. The coaches are stupid scared to do anything. Keeping Rodgers in the doghouse is stupid.  If Brown gets hurt, especially on a PR, there will be heck to pay.    Sutton returned punts in college so he is the next man up.

Sensebaugh  has zero snaps this year on defense.  He has 75 on special teams.  I think either Allen or Sutton can replace him.  Allen was the 3rd best gunner in the preseason.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

He has 75 on special teams.  I think either Allen or Sutton can replace him. 

That's fine....so what is Gays purpose? 

The thing I do not understand about this roster is how many guys carry no responsibilities. Rogers plays little to no role with Bryant, JuJu, and AB healthy. Gay is Dime, zone, no ST. Hunter is about as invaluable of a roster spot as it gets. So again, if Gay ultimately loses his Dime slot to Sutton...what is his role? Do we really think that little of Sensebaugh that he cannot at least fill to a similar level as Gays limited snaps? Sensebaugh is the better 4th-5th corner to have on a roster because of versatility. This roster is full of non-versatile roster space. It would drive me crazy to have another one with Gay. Harrison, Gay, Hunter, and Rogers are all wasted game day actives as far as roster spaces go if they are backups. Guys like Sensebaugh and Moats at least function on Sundays in depth roles. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Keeping Rodgers in the doghouse is stupid.  If Brown gets hurt, especially on a PR, there will be heck to pay.    Sutton returned punts in college so he is the next man up.

I do not know that keeping Rogers in the doghouse was stupid. Look at the way the roster is constructed. He made the roster for one real reason - to be the (faircatch) punt returner. He had one job -- he failed. Brown may have muffed a punt, but he has years of experience and tape doing so at an exceptional level. 

They value ball control over return and Eli failed. They will continue to play the ball control aspect of returning, which puts AB in a much lower chance of injury. That's fine for Sutton to be the next man up, but its idiotic to remove a guy from IR who has never played NFL football and missed half a season and immediately put him in a position that they value the basics of control, not return ability -- especially if you are replacing a pro bowl level returner. 

I know this is a bit of a cop out answer @Dcash4 but I would say Gay's experience, leadership, and versatility(The FO thinks he could probably fill in at any CB spot) are what keeps him on the roster. Gay is pretty valuable to this team because he knows the ins and outs of the defense. He's a willing tackler and blitzer and could take some snaps at any corner spot in an emergency. They probably do not see Sensabaugh in the same light. 

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know this is a bit of a cop out answer @Dcash4 but I would say Gay's experience, leadership, and versatility(The FO thinks he could probably fill in at any CB spot) are what keeps him on the roster. Gay is pretty valuable to this team because he knows the ins and outs of the defense. He's a willing tackler and blitzer and could take some snaps at any corner spot in an emergency. They probably do not see Sensabaugh in the same light. 

And honestly, thats probably the answer. I am not really arguing that Gay is the one that will be cut (or that Sensebaugh ultimately shouldn't be) -- but it drives me crazy that he would be here and serve no functioning purpose and would join of a long list of guys already like that on the roster. 

I would much rather cut bait with Hunter first and Moats second. Hunter doesnt need to be here any longer and will most likely be available regardless in a pinch. Moats gone would allow us to give Harrison a game day hat and maybe a little more rotational responsibilities consistently -- Something that I feel they were probably saving for later in the season regardless. 

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

And honestly, thats probably the answer. I am not really arguing that Gay is the one that will be cut (or that Sensebaugh ultimately shouldn't be) -- but it drives me crazy that he would be here and serve no functioning purpose and would join of a long list of guys already like that on the roster. 

I would much rather cut bait with Hunter first and Moats second. Hunter doesnt need to be here any longer and will most likely be available regardless in a pinch. Moats gone would allow us to give Harrison a game day hat and maybe a little more rotational responsibilities consistently -- Something that I feel they were probably saving for later in the season regardless. 

I agree about Hunter. He is useless. What's strange to me is why are we giving a hat to Harrison and giving him next to no snaps.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think with William Gay he's also gotten a few 3rd safety snaps this year so they see him as bringing yet another dimension.

Add in he's never missed a game or practice his entire career (according to Chris Collinsworth)

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think with William Gay he's also gotten a few 3rd safety snaps this year so they see him as bringing yet another dimension.

I mean, Im not sure how accurate it is to say that he is getting 3rd "safety" snaps. He is getting snaps as the 6th DB, but most of it is coming from the slot. Against Detroit he ended up playing more of that LB role of chase in the C2 from the middle of the field, but he isn't asked to cover a half or a thirds of the field deep. Mitchell got injured and the first man up was Golden. Next would be Wilcox (which I found surprising)...

Emergency safety maybe, but he is not playing as a safety. 

Just found this interesting when thinking of roster crunch -- there are 5 guys on this roster that have not recorded a ST snap all year. Ben, Pouncey, Hunter, Harrison, and Gay. One of those names sticks out like a sore thumb...

Archived