BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ketchup is fine, but I really only intentionally use it if I'm dipping fries. And even then there are other dipping sauces I greatly prefer.

I love the abomination that is Mayo on my hotdog. Cilantro, mayo and mango is surprisingly good on a hot dog. But when I make one at a stand I usually like relish and just put a small line of ketchup. I know many, mainly in Chicago feel ketchup flavour is relish and other condiments combines and it's unneeded. I won't argue that if you can build a good dog but sometimes, like with fries you can't beat ketchup without getting fancy.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Oh, no no no no sir. We are well past the state of amending our verbiage. War has been declared and this is out of my hands. The fallout will be catastrophic. 

lol. Not everywhere has blue cheese dip, nor at home. Although when I get wings I prefer hot mixed with honey garlic and no dip if blue isn't available. I'll pass on ranch but if I get "Buffalo style" I'll take ranch if they don't have blue.

Side note It's surprising how many places in Buffalo call their wings Buffalo wings despite everyone saying they are just wings there.

2 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I use ketchup quite a bit,   but mostly for sweetening other sauces.   

i.e. I'll mix it with a good hot sauce on burgers,

mix it with sour cream for tacos.   

Straight i mainly just use it on fries.   

Tacos? I guess it is a sweetener. I do mix hotsauce into my ketchup for fries sometime. Om burgers it's usually mayo mixed with hotsauce. I rarely touch mustard. I like Dijon/Honey/Stone-ground on sandwiches and some hotdogs (and love honey mustard with chicken strips) but I will never have yellow mustard in anything unless it's part of the burger already by default at the restaurant.

5 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Tacos? I guess it is a sweetener. I do mix hotsauce into my ketchup for fries sometime. Om burgers it's usually mayo mixed with hotsauce. I rarely touch mustard. I like Dijon/Honey/Stone-ground on sandwiches and some hotdogs (and love honey mustard with chicken strips) but I will never have yellow mustard in anything unless it's part of the burger already by default at the restaurant.

Yeah the taco thing was passed down from my gma.  I would think it's weird,  if I hadn't tried it so young.   I asked for some at a Mexican restaurant when I was like 16 and that's when I realized it wasn't a common thing.   it adds a kick to the sour cream and guac.   

Only time I touch mustard is with Kraut on a hot dog.    Or mix it with baked beans.

Edited by RedGold

11 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I use ketchup quite a bit,   but mostly for sweetening other sauces.   

i.e. I'll mix it with a good hot sauce on burgers,

mix it with sour cream for tacos.   

Straight i mainly just use it on fries.   

This is different. Ketchup is a fantastic base to create other delicious sauces.

By itself, only fries and hamburgers if no other acceptable condiments are found.

Those of you who put it on eggs can keep that nonsense to yourself.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

lol. Not everywhere has blue cheese dip, nor at home.

I do, and when I'm running low...AKA less than 1/2 of a bottle, I will immediately prioritize it.

Although when I get wings I prefer hot mixed with honey garlic and no dip if blue isn't available. I'll pass on ranch but if I get "Buffalo style" I'll take ranch if they don't have blue.

If they don't have blue, I eat them hot like a man

Side note It's surprising how many places in Buffalo call their wings Buffalo wings despite everyone saying they are just wings there.

This is an interesting phenomenon to me as well. Somehow I think because "buffalo" has been a catch all sauce style as opposed to degrees of heat in your buffalo sauce. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Nothing wrong with any of that. Ranch a little weird but not much different than a garlic dip. Ketchup is normal unless you are in Chicago, Ranch on Wings is okay, especially with hot/buffalo wings. Air Fryer Steak... meh. If you cook on propane you seriously can't argue, although I use charcoal.

Air Fryer Steak is an abomination.

32 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

@Ragnarok let me get Browning so I can have all 5

Sure, for both of your 2023 1sts.

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

the office bj novak GIF

Just keep adding to my list.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This is different. Ketchup is a fantastic base to create other delicious sauces.

By itself, only fries and hamburgers if no other acceptable condiments are found.

Those of you who put it on eggs can keep that nonsense to yourself.

Thats just weird.