BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

8 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Its not exactly an extreme position.  I'd even agree with your statement that he is a good WR.  Good doesn't necessarily mean #1.

I mean the reality is right now he  really id an NFL  number one wide receiver.

I would say hes better than good but he is not elite and with better quarterback play I think he would look the part.  I'm not arguing that hes the best number one wide receiver in the league because that would be foolish but I'm saying he is definitely capable of being a number one wide receiver

9 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

And despite all that, he doesn't look bad.  Just horribly unsupported.  He doesn't have great pocket presence, because he never has a reliable pocket.  His footwork isn't great, cause he never has a chance to get consistent.

Oh exactly. That was more or less my point. I'm a bias OSU fan, but I think Fields has a lot of the tools needed. How do you realistically expect a young QB to develop a pocket presence if you can't have a pocket for him? How about footwork? How about timing and release?

Throw in the fact that he has a bunch of 2nd tier weapons, are here you are. You see the flashes, so now maybe load up the trenches and add a viable weapon or two on the outside to compliment Mooney. 

1 hour ago, LAOJoe said:

Not a big fan of Fields but he has shown some things the last month that have promise if he just had a team. Is he more or less like Daniel Jones if he had a better team? I don't know, but Jones is looking pretty good.

I think Fields has a much higher ceiling than Daniel Jones. JMHO

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think Fields has a much higher ceiling than Daniel Jones. JMHO

I'll be the 1st to admit when Fieldss came into the league I said there's no way this kid is gonna be a good quarterback.

Frankly most Ohio state quarterbacks aren't. Having said that I do view Fields as a guy that, if there is an Ohio state quarterback that breaks that mold, it could be him.  I definitely think he is better than Daniel Jones.

Edited by wwhickok

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'll be the 1st to admit when Fieldss came into the league I said there's no way this kid is gonna be a good quarterback.

Frankly most Ohio state quarterbacks aren't. Having said that I do view Fields as a guy that, if there is an Ohio state quarterback that breaks that mold, it could be him.  I definitely think he is better than Daniel Jones.

That’s because he was a Georgia QB first... but if I count that then I have to count that Burrow was an OSU QB first and that defeats my own argument...

• Like 2

Just now, Scoundrel said:

That’s because he was a Georgia QB first... but if I count that then I have to count that Burrow was an OSU QB first and that defeats my own argument...

lol.  I mean it's a fair point though, Joe Burrow was smart enough to get out of Ohio state, Justin field's game to Ohio state already having been coached by Georgia.

So I guess it depends on how you look at it, Personally I don't consider Joe Burrow an Ohio state quarterback,  Nor do I consider Justin fields a Georgia quarterback

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I always chuckle at the "frankly most Ohio State quarterbacks aren't" narrative. There have been exactly 3 1st Round OSU QB's ever:

*Art Schlichter: Gambling, drugs

*Dwayne Haskins: Immaturity, untimely death

*Justin Fields

Schlichter was the #2 overall pick and his demons are unfortunately well documented.

Haskins was the 3rd QB taken in the draft at 15 overall.

Fields was the 4th QB taken in the draft.

Aside from that, what Buckeye was ever supposed to be a great NFL Quarterback? Pryor was drafted in the supplemental draft and had some success as a WR, Troy Smith was like a 6th Round draft pick, Bobby Hoying was a 3rd Round pick, and Joe Germaine was a 4th Rounder.

• Like 4

Just now, MWil23 said:

I always chuckle at the "frankly most Ohio State quarterbacks aren't" narrative. There have been exactly 3 1st Round OSU QB's ever:

*Art Schlichter: Gambling, drugs

*Dwayne Haskins: Immaturity, untimely death

*Justin Fields

Schlichter was the #2 overall pick and his demons are unfortunately well documented.

Haskins was the 3rd QB taken in the draft at 15 overall.

Fields was the 4th QB taken in the draft.

Aside from that, what Buckeye was ever supposed to be a great NFL Quarterback? Pryor was drafted in the supplemental draft and had some success as a WR, Troy Smith was like a 6th Round draft pick, Bobby Hoying was a 3rd Round pick, and Joe Germaine was a 4th Rounder.

For the record there are several Colleges that I personally would not a would not be very quick to draft a quarterback from, Penn state is another one. Oh and Oklahoma, Oh and Florida, 

Just now, wwhickok said:

lol.  I mean it's a fair point though, Joe Burrow was smart enough to get out of Ohio state, Justin field's game to Ohio state already having been coached by Georgia.

Joe Burrow is a walking example of how:

1. Urban Meyer is a great recruiter and terrible HC who can't identify talent on his own team

2. A story of a victim of circumstances. In his RS Sophomore season where he lost the QB battle to Dwayne Haskins, he was in the lead the entire off-season, but then broke his thumb on his throwing hand and missed essentially all of spring/summer practice, so he "lost" the job by default. If he doesn't break his thumb, he's the starter and stays, wheras likely Haskins transfers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I think helmet scouting in general is lazy, you have to evaluate these guys individually. Dwayne Haskins is different from Fields who is different from CJ Stroud. They all have very different games, why does it matter that they went to OSU?

I'm not helmet scouting. I'm simply saying that history has shown the guys coming out of that schoout of that school particularly aren't great no matter what round do they were taken.

It is not exclusive to Ohio state. I agree a 100% that a player has got to be evaluated for their talent not for their school